Tubeless Tyre

mik60ish

I wish to turn my Michelin tubeless rear tyre on my SY175, how do mere mortals break the seal tried putting wheel in my bench vice nearly but the jaws are not deep enough, other than that do you need to take it to a Tyre shop? <_<

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with bikespace except make up a frame or 2"X 2" timber so the sprocket or hub is up off of the floor before you put your weight on the shovel. As an alternative I have heard people who use those ratchet type cramps to break the bead.

As for re-seating it when its turned, the wise men of this forum seem to go for the Yomee ring thing (me I used an inner tube)

Get in the car or Van, put the wheel on the ground (do that first kinda hard after you get in the vehicle) put a bit of padding under it to protect then drive the front wheel onto the tyre being carefull not to drive on rim get out (or use a mate if you have) and stand on the opposite side of wheel hey presto it pops off the rim.

No need for all that bead breaker stuff.

Me good old team mate showed me that one couple of months back. <_<

I've screwed a 4" length of 2" angle to the garage wall about 8-10" from the floor, I put the wheel rim on blocks of wood and use a 6' scaffold pole and another block of wood to break the bead. I've also read that some people use the car/van instead of the bracket on the wall and a length of 3x2 instead of the scaffold pole.

Go back to the vice on the bench, put some timber in either side of the tyre ( so its just below the rim on one side and against the rim on the other). then compress in the vice, easy ! <_<

as for driving a van / truck over your wheel, rather you than me mate

when you refit the tyre either a cycle tube or the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE beader will work. I find it easier if you take the valve core out as well.

normally you'll be putting the wheel back in the bike when you notice you have put the tyre back on the same way round !!

You'll never do it with a shovel, you need a narrow spade. Been changing tyres for years using a spade and some silicone polish to make everything nice and slippy (when it dries, it's quite grippy).

Hi Mike

If your vice is too small, a large G clamp and two blocks of 75 x 50 timber about 250 long usually works for me.

David

Yep this is my method use a large `G` clamp with the static side and a peice of timber covering just over the rim (spreads the load and something too push against) then another peice of timber on the screw side but just before the rim (sat on top of it you would) then slowly tighten clamp watching everything is in the right place then hey presto of the bead she goes!

Another way of re-seating if you are like me and don`t like spending money is too put a ratchet strap around the circumferance of the tyre and tighten just enough to spread the tyre and inflate

<_<

Edited by barrybaines

watching on the scottish the ratchet was out for most rears to fit them back on the rim , a big truck ratchet about 2 inch wide around the circumfrence and pulled tight, micheal brown was turning a rear tyre and it would not go back on easily even with JL, Griffo and gary offering 'advice'