315r factory bikes...up close photo's anyone?

widrace

I'm considering a weight reduction program on my 315r. It would be super to see photos of the things that were done. I did get a chance to look close at Dougies bike at Duluth but like a dummy didn't take any pictures.

Martin... if your out there - is there anything you can share now, like the actual final weight and some comments perhaps? I also remember some talk/speculation about the frame being fabricated of thinner stock and 5th gear removed. Come on Martin - time to spill your guts!!

Some items I remember:

1) Ti (probably) rear shock body

2) Rear wheel lightened between spokes

3) Misc brackets machined

4) Triple clamps - probably Ti

5) Ti hardware/axles perhaps

6) Header pipe - thin stainless or maybe Ti tubing

7) Bash plate of ???

8) Carbon filter cover

9) Ti fork legs

What about the swingarm - anybody?

I did get the small works fuel tank from Subira awhile back and that's my starting point.

Any info welcome, Cheers

• Like 1

Best of luck with this one and hope you got some serious deep pockets...

would love to see some build photos if you do go ahead with it...

Don't have deep pockets but do have some Ti on hand, a machine shop at my disposal and some time. Also have a veteran finite analysis friend that can help with where to carve out some frame stock and another buddy who is a composite guy. Certainly not going to hit on everything - just the most practical stuff.

I'll be sure to post some pics along with weight savings :thumbup:

• Like 1

Dirt Bike Rider (UK publication) had an article on the works bikes that were being ridden at Sheffield a few years ago. It may have been Dougies first year on the Mont. That article had some great close-up piccies of Dougies rather special 315. I don't have that mag anymore but maybe somebody on here does?

As I remember the airbox was carbon-fibre and very thin.

Reminds me of an article in, I think it was Dirt Rider, years ago where the author was going over a list of all the mods he made to his bike to lighten it. At the end of the list he stated that at the end of all this work he was surprised to find he had invented the DNF.

The most important "factory" component on one of Dougie's or any world rider's bikes is the spare parts on the minder's bike.

Might just be cheaper to spring for a newer bike.

Who are you?

I'm that Steve guy from Michigan that worked for Mclaren. Bought a new 02 from you and soon after you set my pal Mark up with a minder bike at Duluth.

Guys...I'm not going to do stupid s**t and spend a bunch of money. I will spend time though doing things that make sense. The bike will be torn down for winter service so I have months of playtime available. Please don't get the impression that I'm going to arbitrarily blow holes and such everywhere just to have everything break unloading from the trailer. If I wanted that I'd have bought one of those #&$ #&$'s. The other thing is I have a bunch of Ti material - nuts/bolts/tubing/etc, composite materials and piles of neat stuff left over from earlier escapades. Wouldn't want all that to go to waste now would ya?

I'm not on a mission to duplicate the works bikes either. I would just like to know what they did (and didn't do) only for consideration at this point.

That said...anyone have a print of the fork legs? :D:D

I'm that Steve guy from Michigan that worked for Mclaren. Bought a new 02 from you and soon after you set my pal Mark up with a minder bike at Duluth.

Guys...I'm not going to do stupid s**t and spend a bunch of money. I will spend time though doing things that make sense. The bike will be torn down for winter service so I have months of playtime available. Please don't get the impression that I'm going to arbitrarily blow holes and such everywhere just to have everything break unloading from the trailer. If I wanted that I'd have bought one of those #&$ #&$'s. The other thing is I have a bunch of Ti material - nuts/bolts/tubing/etc, composite materials and piles of neat stuff left over from earlier escapades. Wouldn't want all that to go to waste now would ya?

I'm not on a mission to duplicate the works bikes either. I would just like to know what they did (and didn't do) only for consideration at this point.

That said...anyone have a print of the fork legs? :D:D

"Spend time doing things that make sense",didn't know (common sic)sense meant something else in michigan?

.....Guys...I'm not going to do stupid s**t and spend a bunch of money. ......The other thing is I have a bunch of Ti material - nuts/bolts/tubing/etc, composite materials and piles of neat stuff left over from earlier escapades. Wouldn't want all that to go to waste now would ya?

I'm not on a mission to duplicate the works bikes either. I would just like to know what they did (and didn't do) only for consideration at this point...

:D:D

It's your bike, you can do what you want with it and you don't have to justify it to anyone :icon_salut:

I have very fond memories of my old 315 so I'd be very interested in any photos of your project.

Wayne