315r factory bikes...up close photo's anyone?

widrace

No Beta love? Jeff S. has been talking about one.

Nope I personally don't like Beta

Not going to radically attack the frame. Why do you think pulling gears would weaken anything?

UMM I was supposed to be thinking?? :dunce:

Yep. :thumbup: Outside of beer for the Wgasa team, the only money I'm going to spend is on new tires, bars, chain, some gaskets (perhaps) and maybe some pegs. All the other not so crazy stuff is either stocked or freely available and will be subject for discussion over refreshments at Milford Trials Team Garage and Bar :guinness:

Team WGASA would definitely enjoy free beer, but I am Certain the Milford Trials Mafia can drink more of it than us. Well gee, you are starting to sound sensible. That is totally different than how this thread started. :lol: Enjoy the tinkering time in the garage. See ya in the spring if not sooner.

• 4 years later...

*Bump* for a cool thread.

2 315Rs in my garage, next to the 4RT and the slowly-being-revived 314R. Any fresh info or ideas, besides buyng a new (brand X) bike? C'mon, that's boring. One off, Unobtainium, Factory, Prototype, custom well-engineered "Works" type stuff is what we're after here.

Ideas.

Pics.

Links.

Solid info.

What'cha got?? :thumbup:

• 10 months later...

Whatever happened to this bike?

I suppose you mean the 315R from Widrace.

Apparently both have disappeared, this is what his profile says:

"Last Active Dec 20 2013 05:08 PM"

Edited by guys

The two of us are still around. So far, the only mods are the easy and cheap stuff like addition of the second-hand flat tank from I got from Subira, machining the webbing away between the spokes on the rear wheel like the factory bikes did and replacement of all the 10mm bolts with shortened titanium cylinder head bolts salvaged from an old BMW f1 engine. At this point the bike weighs just under 71 kg (155 lbs) without fuel or lighter rear tire. The next set of bars will be aluminum rather than the stock steel jobs. I'm due for a new chain and sprockets so those will get replaced with some lighter pieces. I suppose aluminum pegs would be next but those can wait until I finish destroying what's on there. I'd be surprised if I got a pound from all of that.

Continuing further gets timely and/or at high cost. If I ever have the cases split I would consider swapping a few unused gears with dummy goods to suit. Thats a good chunk of available weight but....

A huge chunk of weight is that frame. My nephew modeled it in Solidworks and did FEA analysis as a college project at Clemson. Long story short, its crazy over-engineered in strength and appears to have been designed via FEA to begin with. It's ripe for lightening but would require selective chemical milling (as employed by the aircraft industry) to be carried out properly. If I worked at one of those places maybe, but...

As far as otherwise improving the bike (for me) my favorite was raising the the ride height - more so in the rear. The forks are dropped in the clamps so the cap bolts are flush with the clamp surface. The rear is raised by installing an offset bushing in the upper rear shock eye that rotates allowing adjustment. A little bit goes a long way here and I adjust it to suit the way the way I like the front end to work, which is a little steeper than stock. The mechanical turn limiters are cut back some too. It turns nearly as sharp as a new Beta but doesn't want to fold near as much.

Edited by widrace
  • Like 1

I should mention that the 155 lbs is without the side stand. I'm curious as to what guys 4rt weighs as well as the new rr. Thanks for including the pic. Reminded me to cut the front fender brace.

And thanks to all that have contributed! As far as getting a newer bike goes, ten years ago I said when it breaks or stuff starts going wrong that's what I'd do.

I think I saved about 1,5 kg on that 4RT.

It, as you can see in the picture, had some carbon parts on it and an aluminium fuel tank bottom also.

On the last 4RT Repsol I had I made the electra support out of aluminium.

But weight saving on aluminium parts, like the rear wheel, is minimal. Did the calculation out of curiosity, but forgot it.

But every little bit counts. And tinkering keeps people of the cocaine, I'm the living proof of that.  :stoned:

post-15723-0-88823200-1453228983_thumb.jpg

post-15723-0-44609200-1453229013_thumb.jpg

post-15723-0-92528400-1453229043_thumb.jpg

post-15723-0-81482900-1453229069_thumb.jpg

Edited by guys

How does it sound/go with that thing on the end of the silencer?

I can't say I notice any power drop because of it.
But as an intermediate rider I don't use full power a lot.
It does take the bark out of the exhaust note, makes it sound a little bit softer.

Gotta ask Guy, why do you have what looks to be a USA spark arrestor on the bike? You afraid of fires?

Jonny's right, It's a DB killer but it's just like a spark arrestor, it's got two mesh screens.