Preventing Your Trials Bike Getting Stolen?

pancho247

My Beta got stolen a while back and I have now replaced it and don't want the same to happen twice. I regulary see on this forum bikes getting stolen.

I was wondering what people do as their best line of defence. I have been looking at ground anchors, different types of alarms, chains, locks and even a doberman......

Any suggestions?

An alarm, ground anchor and a few hefty chains are your best bet

:agreed:..and a dog, train him/her to sleep behind an external door (seriously). It doesn't have to be a gnarly beast, just an alert one, it will tip you off before your alarm does. Even if it's a softy put up a 'beware of the dog' sign.

• Like 1

When I used a trailer to transport my Monty, I used the heavy duty chain lock (Abus Granit) from my road motorcycle to secure it to the trailer when I left it out of sight.

• Like 1

On top of all the above there are a few things you can remove depending how your bike is positioned

1. gear lever off and bike in first gear

2.Handlebar mountings

3. Pull out front wheel spindle

4. remove clutch lever

Any of the above will make the scroats think or struggle especially number 2.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I chain everything and anything together with as many chains as possible even cheap chains.

all my bicycles and and other crap chained to the inside of my shed with my trial bike wont fit through the door. it will make a hell of a noise cutting that many chains and they are all inter linked. I have built a cage to the inside of the shed and have motion lights and dog.

If all else fails and i hear anything i also have a 12 bore :-D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

99% of chains on the market can be cut with bolt croppers, The adverts are misleading as they say you can not bolt cropper them by hand, But rest one part on the floor and get a big Transit & caravan driver to put his weight on it and it's cut in seconds with just a split second ping sound.

The super tough chains can be freeze sprayed and bolt cropped while hitting the bolt cropper jaws with a hammer.

Get a heavy duty d lock and ground anchor as well as chains. Most thieves will go the quiet approach especially if you garage is next to your house.

Sadly Disk cutters will get through anything but only the very brave use these methods if your bike is near your house.

A decent alarm is your best bet and lots of locks and chains.

I hate scum that take stuff that doesn't belong to them.

I know of a great product but I can't disclose at the moment due to waiting for a patent to be issued but the trials world will know when they are avaliable.

• Like 1

99% of chains on the market can be cut with bolt croppers, The adverts are misleading as they say you can not bolt cropper them by hand, But rest one part on the floor and get a big Transit & caravan driver to put his weight on it and it's cut in seconds with just a split second ping sound.

The super tough chains can be freeze sprayed and bolt cropped while hitting the bolt cropper jaws with a hammer.

Get a heavy duty d lock and ground anchor as well as chains. Most thieves will go the quiet approach especially if you garage is next to your house.

Sadly Disk cutters will get through anything but only the very brave use these methods if your bike is near your house.

A decent alarm is your best bet and lots of locks and chains.

I hate scum that take stuff that doesn't belong to them.

I know of a great product but I can't disclose at the moment due to waiting for a patent to be issued but the trials world will know when they are avaliable.

By the way this video and the company is nothing to do with me, I just came across it while researching

Security lamps do nothing, alarmed locks sprayed with shaving foam, each bike chained to a ground anchor individually and all bikes chained together, the anchor was unchallenged, 3 out of 4 chains were cut off by freezing and then crimped.

All chains were tied tightly and off the floor.

2 English chain 10mm Quad link,

1 Kryptonite mammoth 12mm chain. Both of these type chains are probably best used for Xmas decorations.

The Billy Basic 1/2" chain from a lock shop was unchallenged but that was the one on a road bike obviously not what they wanted but I have been waiting for another visit.

Edited by richt

Sometime in the past I made quite a long post on this.

Alarms - fit PIRs so the overlook each other. Fit some hidden alarm triggers such as a pressure mat or discreet door sensors.

Shield padlocks so they can't be got at with bolt croppers

Register your bike - its free if its for off road only, then you have a registration number. hard stamp this number onto as many of the bike parts as possible

removing parts like wheels or wheel spindles make the bike useless to a joy rider and very inconvenient for a professional thief.

photo any scuffs, marks or difference to standard.

A friend of mine recently had the pleasure of seeing a thief jailed for 2 years because he had a hidden camera and recorder - this was actually garden equipment theft.

Just to add a rider to you all . On a second attempt to nick my mates CBR RR by the same thieve's whom the cop's caught the first time and let them off , he caught them red handed and gave them a good leathering .

He got 9 month for grievous bodily harm ( his first offence ) lost his job ,and so on .

If you catch them in the act do 'em good style and don't admit to a thing as that's where he went wrong .

Just remember , usually these people have nothing to lose , you have .

• Like 2

Evening guys i had my 2 beta s stolen over the weekend only had the bikes 12 months . So to ease my pain lol im telling my self il get them bck at some point the POLICE will find them . But realistically how many of you guys have had them stolen and got them back .