Moving Up In Class?

fivebrick

It's up to you, in most cases , but if you keep winning your class (with competition ...) move on up ! If your comfortable riding the line ...

Back when I was a kid riding in the netra , you didn't have a choice , you won three times , you were in the next class ...Early 70's ...

When we wore bell caps like Mick ...

Glenn

• Like 1

The thing you might think about. Are you cleaning most sections? Are you going back afterwards and cleaning the sections? Besides winning, trials is just many steps of learning basic control and different techniques. Sometimes jumping up too quick can slow down your progress from not mastering the basics. I`ve also have advised people to quit wasting their time and move up today. Usually the ones that need to move up fast are in their teens. Each case is different. Winning is not really any indication other than you out rode the competition. Always remember to keep it fun.

• Like 3

Maybe after an event has finished stay behind for a bit and have a go on the route above the one you took, see how it goes. If you feel confident it's within your abilities to do that route and still enjoy yourself, go for it :)

• Like 1

screw that, move down a class, mop up every Sunday, fill your sideboard with trophy's :moon:

I assume that you are joking - aren't you?

However, this does create problems in several ways. For instance the chaps who set out the Novice/Yellow route can get a totally false impression of what is a realistic course for a true Novice - a person who has just started, or who has limited experience, or who only rides their bike once a month, rather than the rider who has moved down from Expert or Clubman class and is now riding the Novice sections, This is quite a regular occurrence in my experience (of over 60 trials).

Novice sections being set out too hard or even dangerous will and does result in beginners giving up trials. I spoke to a new Novice a few weeks ago who had lost heart and was giving up competitions because the majority of sections were too hard for the second week running.

In these litigious times, a dangerous Novice section that resulted in serious injury or God forbid, the death of a competitor could leave the club or even the organisers personally liable - despite the disclaimer being signed by the competitor.

Edited by stpauls

I'm at a loss to why section setters still dont set true Novice sections in sections. At out last trial there was one section I took the 5 every round, another after riding once took the 5 after every time after that. My wife had 4 sections out of ten she took the 5 every time. Surely if you can ride 6 sections and most "clear" why cant not ride 4 because of inconsistent difficulty???

For my wife... she had those expectations because she has only been riding a year on a motorcycle (95% on her trials bike) and played it extra safe to not injure herself. She didn't walk the section and say... "Maybe not this this time?". She fronted up at the section and said "You've got to be kidding I cant ride up that".

For me, trials for a year now and motorcycles for 44 yrs... the vertical faces were the issue. I cant double blip up a 2 ft rock face half way up as steepish hill (yet) and there was no way around the side of it.

We'll see how it pans out this year... we either have to upskill much quicker or give it away from lack of achievement (from not completing 40 sections) killing incentive.

At this stage we have the greatest fun just the two of us playing on our trials bikes in our local motorcycle ride park creek beds... and leave the trial comps for the expert beginners.

We have access to the trial comp area that we didn't complete so we will most likely give comps away this year... but, ride the comp area for another year and see how our skills are after that.

Mags

I'm at a loss to why section setters still dont set true Novice sections in sections. At out last trial there was one section I took the 5 every round, another after riding once took the 5 after every time after that. My wife had 4 sections out of ten she took the 5 every time. Surely if you can ride 6 sections and most "clear" why cant not ride 4 because of inconsistent difficulty???

For my wife... she had those expectations because she has only been riding a year on a motorcycle (95% on her trials bike) and played it extra safe to not injure herself. She didn't walk the section and say... "Maybe not this this time?". She fronted up at the section and said "You've got to be kidding I cant ride up that".

For me, trials for a year now and motorcycles for 44 yrs... the vertical faces were the issue. I cant double blip up a 2 ft rock face half way up as steepish hill (yet) and there was no way around the side of it.

We'll see how it pans out this year... we either have to upskill much quicker or give it away from lack of achievement (from not completing 40 sections) killing incentive.

At this stage we have the greatest fun just the two of us playing on our trials bikes in our local motorcycle ride park creek beds... and leave the trial comps for the expert beginners.

We have access to the trial comp area that we didn't complete so we will most likely give comps away this year... but, ride the comp area for another year and see how our skills are after that.

Mags

The first club trial I've gone to is similar to what you've described. Two out of ten sections I scored a 5 every time, managed to clean 2 sections 4 times though. And got a nice high score of 93 to boot, although it was rather wet and muddy in my defense! At any rate it seems that no matter where you are in the world there are problems with the beginner route not being for beginners but guys stepping down from the higher classes due to health etc.

As for verticals, if they're only about 2ft high you can get away with a good blip of the throttle when the front wheel is touching, weight well back, throttle off again and you should be able to sail over it.Works for me. I made the mistake in practice of hitting it at speed, keeping the throttle on, wheeling too much at the top and dropping the bike, hehe

Don't give up on comps, ride what you can and just 5 what you don't fancy, it's for fun after all. I've got my second club trial this Sunday, I suspect it's going to be hard but it's a good way of practicing my hill climbs and roll up techniques, as there is bound to be loads of those! Keep trying mags :)

Edited by hrmad

I just started last year.

I rode all year in Novice, did very well. I didn't want to move, since I felt I wasn't getting the really tight turns right. Lots of times I noticed the intermediate had less tight turns and Geiger obsticles.

I could clean lots of sections in novice and usually 1st or 2nd place.

So this year I thought I'd give intermediate a go.

Only one trial so far, I did struggle the first lap a lot. After that I started getting into the groove better and improved. I still was down the list and could have rides better- but I'm very cautious and don't lime to fall down (or perhaps get hurt).

I think it was the right move- I'm feeling a lot better about tight turns (still need to work on it) and the obsticles are good practice.

Loads of times I would put a foot down- just to be safe.

But most importantly I had lots of fun.

One of the guys I rode novice with last year also moved up, so it was fun to ride with him and talk about how we saw it.

Our club does a very good job of keeping Novice safe and resonable for a Novice I think.

Mags

That`s too bad to hear Mags, but you are absolutely right. Novice lines should not be any harder than they where twenty years ago. A club could have the same rock that used to be deemed an intermediate rock and now they decide it is ok for novice. Bu-- sh-t! It`s the same amount of fall and the same danger level. The only thing that changed is the bike itself goes up it easier, but not the rider. Keep at it you and the missus. Just take your five and go about having fun! Edited by lineaway

Mags, I often set the lower grade sections for our club and it is very hard to set them. We have the Introductory class and the Clubman class riding in the sections so we set the intro one really easy and have the clubman ones harder. On the clubman class lines there is the Twinshocks and the Clubmen and some of the Twinshock riders are reasonably good riders. There is nothing wrong with taking a five on a section. I have done that often in the Australian Championships which I have ridden twice now in the Twinshock class. In Our Club days now I set a blue line in the white sections which is an optional harder line for the white line riders to take as a self handicap if they choose which everybody thinks is a great idea because it makes the lines harder for the better riders but leave the majority of the white sections challenging but not to hard for the normal Clubman rider so it is hard to set the sections for the lower classes as the level of the riders vary so much. Graham.

Mags

Hi Mags,

I think it is important that when you have issues you speak up to the Course Marshal of Club setting the Sections, I am sure they would rather have some constructive criticism than lose new riders, but I am sure many riders will simply fade away if they are not coping which is a loss to the sport and there is no reason why we should not have sections suitable for all levels of experience.

Be involved in a Club and get along to the training days and section setting days, More experienced riders may not see your step as a big issue so there needs to be a good mix of rider abilities involved in the section setting process, sections should be a challenge to clean but not dangerous and lines need to be set to suit the grade they are meant for especially for the Novice and Clubman riders.

Steve.

• Like 1