What Would You Buy ...?

dingle

Multiple posts removed and even fixed the loose/lose mistake

Loose = opposite of tight

Lose = to misplace or in this case to depreciate

I need to find where this whole lose/loose thing originated and kill the person responsible

Stop them breeding should be enough to start with

• Like 2

I came back to trials in the middle of 2013 after a twenty year lay off with a Factory Raga 250 which was very nice and replaced by a 2014 Factory Sherco which was nice and currently with a Factory Beta which is quite simply fantastic in every sense. Tested a Vertigo last week and wrote a cheque out and joined the waiting list for one this week. I don't think any trials rider would be disappointed with any feature of the design or performance but as the reliability is still an unknown it would be wrong of me to recommend something I'm not qualified to comment on at this time other than to say from a personal point of view I've paid my money and am willing to take the chance.

I came back to trials in the middle of 2013 after a twenty year lay off with a Factory Raga 250 which was very nice and replaced by a 2014 Factory Sherco which was nice and currently with a Factory Beta which is quite simply fantastic in every sense. Tested a Vertigo last week and wrote a cheque out and joined the waiting list for one this week. I don't think any trials rider would be disappointed with any feature of the design or performance but as the reliability is still an unknown it would be wrong of me to recommend something I'm not qualified to comment on at this time other than to say from a personal point of view I've paid my money and am willing to take the chance.

How would you compare the Vertigo to the Gasser? To me it looks like more planted and stable a bit less "play bike" and agile than a GG. Am I wrong?

the best bike for you will be the one you like best try to get a ride on as many as possible where are you?

If you buy second hand be sure to get a bike well set up so that its 100% in controls and function.

Not that it makes any difference (at least to this particular thread) but I'm in the Midlands Nigel, near Warwick, just a thought but as I keep being told the trials world is a really friendly group of people to be a part of, perhaps a slightly less aggressive pm to new members about there whereabouts might be slightly preferential ?

Me .... I'm thick skinned, other less thick skinned people may take offence or get the wrong idea!

Keep all the suggestions coming folks, iv had a look at the Scorpa's, TRS and Vertigo bikes now off the back of your suggestions (which I would otherwise have been unaware of)

Edited by dingle

I would buy:

If it had to be a two stroke: If money is no problem a Vertigo (for the fuel injection), otherwise a Beta 250 or 300

Four stroke: Montesa 300RR (or 260) or the cheaper Beta 4-stroke 300 (or 250)

How would you compare the Vertigo to the Gasser? To me it looks like more planted and stable a bit less "play bike" and agile than a GG. Am I wrong?

Bear in mind my answer is absolutely subjective. I bought the raga version on my return in 2013 and was hugely impressed with the tech forks. Overall I loved the ergonomics of the Gas Gas with the low pegs as I'm over six foot and I can understand why they were so popular but I would say the Vertigo leaves it standing. If you look at the "Test rides" thread on the vertigo forum you will see my overall thoughts as best I could articulate them. The engine is very impressive with a seamless band of smooth controllable power from idle to top revs, very impressive. It is possible I just had a good day and the type of terrain suited me for the test but I found it easier to command than any other bike I've ridden to date. I have ordered one so can't say any more than that. The difficulty comes with what you consider to be desirable features in contrast to me. Dougie Lampkin said he believes they have achieved the production of the finest all round trials bike out there and after one hour on board I am compelled to agree with him! Now I am not a top level rider so the emphasis must be on the easier to ride theme. More stable yes, unbelievably stable!

Bear in mind my answer is absolutely subjective. I bought the raga version on my return in 2013 and was hugely impressed with the tech forks. Overall I loved the ergonomics of the Gas Gas with the low pegs as I'm over six foot and I can understand why they were so popular but I would say the Vertigo leaves it standing. If you look at the "Test rides" thread on the vertigo forum you will see my overall thoughts as best I could articulate them. The engine is very impressive with a seamless band of smooth controllable power from idle to top revs, very impressive. It is possible I just had a good day and the type of terrain suited me for the test but I found it easier to command than any other bike I've ridden to date. I have ordered one so can't say any more than that. The difficulty comes with what you consider to be desirable features in contrast to me. Dougie Lampkin said he believes they have achieved the production of the finest all round trials bike out there and after one hour on board I am compelled to agree with him! Now I am not a top level rider so the emphasis must be on the easier to ride theme. More stable yes, unbelievably stable!

Thanks for the feedback! Do you know an expected delivery date?

Not that it makes any difference (at least to this particular thread) but I'm in the Midlands Nigel, near Warwick, just a thought but as I keep being told the trials world is a really friendly group of people to be a part of, perhaps a slightly less aggressive pm to new members about there whereabouts might be slightly preferential ?

Me .... I'm thick skinned, other less thick skinned people may take offence or get the wrong idea!

Keep all the suggestions coming folks, iv had a look at the Scorpa's, TRS and Vertigo bikes now off the back of your suggestions (which I would otherwise have been unaware of)

It does make a difference as where you are may help others say come and ride here with us and try our bikes. Its no good someone in Kansas offering that is it. Agressive my a***.

It does make a difference as where you are may help others say come and ride here with us and try our bikes. Its no good someone in Kansas offering that is it. Agressive my a***.

Tbh iv had a few pm's of people offering as they also spotted my first ever thread on here "Newbie from Warwickshire" you might not think it but your pm came across aggressively ...... That said (and il say the same on here as I did in the pm too you) your latest pm (and actually all your others after the first one) have been informative, insightful and very helpful so thank you !