Restoration Projects?

hop blip and a jump

Hello,my son bought this HT3 ARIEL, before restoring it next winter, there was a lot of work on it, to make it go well on hard pre 65 sections.

Today I finished to fit a oil filter,and making some adjustments.

I have restored a Noriel 600 wich is very fun to ride.DSCN2654.jpg

We hope to do the pre 65 scottish 2008

DSCN3920.jpg

Where are all the pre65's on this forum ????????????

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many hours in the basement. Carved and sanded out the shape i wanted out of wood and fiberglass. covered it in fiberglass to make a mold , then made the tank in two pieces , top and the bottom tunnel. Used a good quality epoxy resin for the final tank/seat, which is very strong ,lightweight and chemical resistant. It holds about 3 litres. Surprised myself on how well it turned out especially being my first one i,ve made.

Most of the time was spent trying to get the shape right and to fit properly on the mock up piece.

Have you got any pics of the mould or your wooden master? I'm sure a lot of people here (including me) would like a full blow by blow account of how you did it, it looks excellent, great job.

Well after completing my M91 Sherpa (tank needs painting but hey..) I am now moving onto a M124 with a Homerlite tank unit which is in mint condition, my other 2 homerlite tanks are cracked / broken at the seat / tank join and a bit rough.

Time to get the credit card limit extended as I am pushing out the boat on this one will all new parts when needed especially as I don't have wheels for it...

To the question on paint , i used rustoleum professional grade high performance enamel which come in the tall aerosol cans at Home depot here in the states. Someone told me they used it on their tank so i thought i would give it a try. The paint is super tough and haven't managed to scatch it yet. I think i might strip the frame again and use this paint as other paints i've tried scratch easyly. If you are relining the montesa tank i recommend some good epoxy resin.

I will post a pic of the tank plug which i used to make the mold. I used some scrap pieces of wood which i cut to a rough shape i wanted for the tank and glued them together, then carved out a more detailed shape and made sure it fit properly over the frame and cleared the motor and forks when they were turned. For the seat section i layed cardboard over the frame and then layed fiberlass over the shape of the seat and fender/mudguard and overlapped the wooden tank shape. When set i used body repair putty for get a very smooth shape.

I made a partition to divide the top of the piece down the middle as you have to make the top part of the mold in two pieces so it can be removed from the plug. For the mold i layed several sheets of fiberglass cloth using polyester resin ( should have used epoxy as the mold broke when trying to remove the final part) to bond on one side of the tank, when dry i removed the partition which has formed a flange down the middle. You have to use a release agent before laying fiberglass so it doesn't stick. I then did the other side of the tank the same way. When cured you can remove the two halves carefully and then bolt them together to make the top side mold. I'm probably not making much sence , i knew i should have taken pics of the process. :wall: I made the bottom tunnel mold in one piece . Then just put a release agent down inside the mold, then a coat of resin or gel coat and layed several layers of fiberglass cloth with epoxy resin ( the less resin used the more stronger the part, just enough to wet it). When the top and bottom pieces are cured i put them together and used thin stips of cloth and resin to bond them together and sanded the seam. The petcock piece was cut out of the old rusty metal tank and bonded and the filler cap and flange were actually taken from an old lawn mower tank. When done i coated the inside with another layer of epoxy resin by swirling it around to make sure there would be no leaks. I almost gave up a couple of times trying to make it but glad i didn't. I'm the sort of person that challenges myself to make or fix something myself before spending a lot of money for someone else to do it. Amazing how much you can learn from the web.

There is a write up on one of the sport bike sites in the forums with pics on how to make a carbon fiber racing tank, which helped a lot.

I might make a couple more when i get some more free time . I am very happy with the end product being lightweight, strong and leak proof.

Hey Christian

Thats what i call a couple of beaut brit trials bikes!

Any more pics?

Hello Pitley,

Of course I have a lot of pictures from my bikes (Royal-Enfield 350 trials Bullet + 250 crusader + Greeves 250 1962+TY 175)+ some old BMW's old road bikes,I rode the 350 Bullet in the scottish in 1999 & 2000 , very hard wiht such an heavy genuine pre 65 trial bike !!!!!!

Regards,

Christian

DSCN3818.jpgDSCN1296.jpgKyunnon-stop3.jpgDSCN3627.jpgDSCN2389.jpg

DSCN3598.jpg

I have an Acerbis plastic petrol tank on my bike that has been painted-poorly :D .The paint is bubbling and is starting to crack.Ive been told that if I strip the paint off that it might look clean underneath,something to do with the ingrained muck coming off with the paint.Has anybody had any experience of anything like this?Can anybody recommend a good tank sprayer if I strip it and find out that it looks cr*p?Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

ive just finshed My TR34 '87' with full engine rebuild love it

date on the pic that because it was ready to ride a year ago but never got riden because the clutch had to be done now need gear oil

Picture001-1.jpg

Edited by hatch1990

• 3 months later...
:( Boy oh Boy !!! I wish I still had my first Tl 125 !!! with what I know now it would be a real fun

bike to have !!! But I really miss the modified ossa pioneer skid plate that was on it ... And honda parts

are a little easier to find than Fantic Bits !! Is Poweroll (the stroker kit co.) still in operation ?

I miss that bike , I think I was 13 in picture .... And the tl even had the optional factory number plate with

bracket that went diag. from top to bottom triple clamp !!! I may just have to find a tl to restore!...?

Yep ive got a sherpa 199a in bits at the mo, a ratty ossa mar (runs ok) and one thats half done(A1 CONDT.) also a kt250 thats almost finished (A1 cont.) also a 1981 suzuki pe175 thats nearly done, your right about doing these bikes up so good (not to metion the cost's) that your scared to bloody ride them offroad!!!

the ones that will get to a high standard i'll proberly only use when its summer, as you know the mud and wet soon scuffs/knackers that new look! ive still got a 250 majesty and a beamish/ yam pinkie that i can use allyear round , these are also in nice condition but bloody hell thats what these bikes were designed to be used for in the first place.

Hi anyone can help me I am looking for trails clubs in the East Yorkshire area (near the Humber Bridge if poss). I am trying (money, kids, wife decorating walking the dog ..... etc permitting) to restore a Bulto 198a (has anyone got a 198a 250cc engine out there!!) and whilst it does not have the correct Bulto engine will be ready soon. I just wanted to start doing some trails but wanted to join a club within a moderate drive from my home at first.

A few questions:-

Does everyone laugh at you when you

Hi ya Big J , if I can get my Miller framed bike anywhere as nice will be happy , right now I concure with everybodys sentiments here , I made a BIG mistake in taking the previous owners remarks that "its a runner" too literally , yes it did run but would'nt go further that a few yards before dying and fouling the plug, so heres my lessons learnt [so far]

# 1 ... its not a runner unless its belted up n down the track for at least 10 - 15 mins and stops / starts ok everytime !

# 2 ... if its been standing for sometime and looks like its be neglected ... dont even bother trying to get it started [if it wont after a few kicks] ... strip-it , I have just wasted a whole week nackering myself trying to get the bike going with no joy ... so today it came appart with some surprising finds , main one being the clutch oil smelt more of petrol than anything and yes, the crank seals where well shot ... no wonder it fouled plugs ever kick ! ... crank was full of a petrol / oil mix and definately not 40:1 ... least it wont go rusty and least I now know what the main problem is !

# 3 ... you cant rebuild these motors on a budget , am already spending cash like it went outta fashion and not ridden the bike ... like a fellow rider here spening

Well I must show the wife this forum - it's not just me after all! I have 3 on the go and 2 virtually finished just needing final touches. I have a 265cc Tiger Cub in a hand built frame, took it out on Saturday and bent it - oh bugger! I have a silver engine Beamish that I am just waiting for the tank to be done. Other than that I have a B40 in a box, a red/black works replica Beamish being chromed as we speak and a half finished C15.

It's not economical to restore a bike unless it's very rare and it's tempting not to ride them once they are done but they can be restored again and people love to see them at a trial.

I want to add an Ariel HT5 or HT3 to my collection so lI would be grateful if anyone would et me know if they ear of one!

Cheers,

Jim