Best Value Twinshock?

marky g

Cost of machine and ease of getting hold of spares, ride quality etc etc.......TLR's need not apply due to the high cost of the bike on the s/h market.....am i right in thinking along the lines of TY twinshock (250?) of Bultaco 250 / 350.....any comments gents?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just sold one of my fantic 240s for 420 quid. new chain/sprockets. needed tyres and fork seals for competition. And if you wanted to win, probably a new set of shocks. Most spares available but theyve stopped making pistons for some reason

Even here help is at hand as WES is trying to get some made.

Cheap and competitive.

Lee

Are we talking best value classic............. or best value winner.................best value rare.........

best value collectable or best value tricked up twinshocked....................prices range from 350 quid to 6000

and we won't bother with the pre 65 or pre 67 or pre 72 class.....................

Ossa MAR or Gripper - Cheap to buy, nice to ride especially a well set up MAR. Spares situation can be a nightmare, hopefully improving slowly

Montesa 247 to 330 - early 247 are nice to ride, later bikes such as 242 are most competitive. Also can be picked up quite cheap but spares situation like Ossas, can be tricky to find stuff.

Bultacos - Generally command the higher prices of the 'Spanish 3' but still under a grand for a good example. Personal choice as to which model you think of as best - a nice Vesty rep, suit you sir. Spares situation such that you can virtually build a new bike from parts thanks to the efforts of some geezer darn sarf.

Yamaha TY250 / Suzuki RL / Kawasaki KT - In standard form not as good as any of the Spanish bikes in terms of competitiveness. Spares for the TY not too bad although piston kits and rod kits getting scarcer. Parts for Suzuki and Kawasaki harder to find probably. Majesty Yam far more competitive although some 250 models only on a par power wise with the standard TY. Not all had reworked engines. 320 is a great engine and can be softly tuned. Beamish Suzuki better than standard bike but steering is slow and not to everyone's taste. 325 is a great motor.

Honda TL - TL250 is a great heavy lump and unlikely you'll find one for sale in the UK anyway. TL125 can be overbored to 150o or 180 and can be made to go very well. Can be picked up for a very reasonable price. Sound nice too with the right pipe.

Honda Seeley - rare and commanding higher prices than more competitive twinshocks. Nice handling chassis.

Fantic 200/240/300 - Probably the most competitive twinshock in standard form and don't really need anything doing to make them any better. Good examples easily had for under a grand. Spares situation not too bad but plastics may be harder to source. 200 is a briliant bike considering it's only 156cc and is the best bet for an average rider.

SWM/Gori - 240/320 models are good bikes which can be bought quite cheaply in good condition and Martin Matthews is able to source spares and is having plastics remade. Rotax motor is generally reliable. 350 Jumbo the daddy of them all but the one on ebay isn't selling - why does no-one want it?

Armstrong 250/320 Hiro or 240 rotax (or 350 Jumbo?) Good bikes which handle well but feel a bit short with the riding position. Hiro spares situation is not good. Rotax engine spares much better. Again can be picked up for reaonable prices.

Aprilia 320 - Rare, hardly ever come up for sale and Hiro engine spares a problem

Cagiva 350 - Rare and wouldn't want to try and find spares for one.

Honda TLR - as you've already said, they're overpriced for what they are, particularly when compared to a Fantic.

I bought my Seeley off a bloke that had about 6 TL250s in various states. Which 200 Fantic is the one every one raves about, I am after a twinshock I can use as I wont be twinshocking the Pinky as spoke about in a previous thread. Thanks :chairfall: Still too crap a rider to take the Seeley out.

Edited by bo drinker

I bought my Seeley off a bloke that had about 6 TL250s in various states. Which 200 Fantic is the one every one raves about, I am after a twinshock I can use as I wont be twinshocking the Pinky as spoke about in a previous thread. Thanks :chairfall: Still too crap a rider to take the Seeley out.

There is only one 200 Fantic as far as I know. The later ones may have had different forks and yolks from the early ones, not sure. Someone with better Fantic knowledge will know.

Are we talking best value classic............. or best value winner.................best value rare.........

best value collectable or best value tricked up twinshocked....................prices range from 350 quid to 6000

and we won't bother with the pre 65 or pre 67 or pre 72 class.....................

I would say probably 'best value classic' Stu, I want something I can ride with fear of breaking that hard to find part or have to worry too much about knocking it about.

I'd like it to be competative but I don't want to pay any more than

Edited by Marky G

Italjet overlooked again!!!

Very cheap, strong frame, good brakes, bulty suspension, low seat height, very green!

Only downside is lack of spares, but i've kept ours running for years.

I've finished every round of our club championship this year with no problems (apart from falling off it a lot!).

Give them a look, you could be surprised!

They also make a change from the countless TLR's appearing everywhere! Where are they all coming from?

Cheers

Tommo

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh :chairfall: Oh no.......There are some slightly negative TLR comments on this thread.

The fuse paper has been lit..........the TLR owners are sitting back right now and fuming and mobilizing a small army. How dare someone refuse to bow in every way to these over priced trail bikes :blink:

A lot of the TLR 200s appearing are in fact Grey imports. Japan home market bikes, never seen a trial. They are used on the road in Japan and are cheap out there.Many of the Grey bike dealers cottoned on to the fact that they are fetching strong money and as they have flooded the country with 400cc sports bikes, they have gone down the trials/ trail route. You wont be able to move for TLRs and Serows soon. Glad I sold my TLR when I did. :chairfall:

Edited by bo drinker

A lot of the TLR 200s appearing are in fact Grey imports. Japan home market bikes, never seen a trial. They are used on the road in Japan and are cheap out there.Many of the Grey bike dealers cottoned on to the fact that they are fetching strong money and as they have flooded the country with 400cc sports bikes, they have gone down the trials/ trail route. You wont be able to move for TLRs and Serows soon. Glad I sold my TLR when I did. :chairfall:

Thought Grey imports were brought into the country in the backs of vans and sold at prices that undercut that of a new UK supplied bike!

As you cant buy a new TLR anymore and you wouldn't want to drive all the way back from Japan with one...its an import.

I thought think some of the Jap import bikes are sensibly priced considering the cost of bringing them over to the UK, some also appeared less rusty and clapped out than similar aged bike here.

Having said that, TLR's were never my favourite bike and give me a yellow Italian bike any day of the week :blink:

Martin