uhoh7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Statement:

If anyone can build a bike which has more bite than Jaws, could win a MX, and is lighter than a nats-do-dar its Gas Gas!!!

As for reliability its two fingers to those none beleivers, Gas Gas's are built well i'm no mechanic and mines sweet after 1.5yrs of ownership.

If Gas Gas your reading this, I'm a potential customer, build a bike which is 500cc you've got me money!!

Edited by spud

I just sold my '99 GG 321. That dude competed in a Trials every month for over six years, plus unknown numbers of practice sessions and trail rides. It carried me across the 5 Miles of Hell every year with never a burble, and believe me that's a place you don't want a break down. Only a UH-1 would be able to get a broken bike out of there. It wasn't perfect, but other than tires and chains, and brake pads,the only thing I ever replaced was a set of piston rings, and it didn't need them. It still had the original factory fork seals and they had never leaked a drop...the original rear fender. Yes I'm meticulous on my maintenance, but it was about as solid a machine as I've ever owned. It never broke down and never left me stranded...ever. Not once. It was a great machine.

It's been my experience that most all of the modern bikes a good reliable mounts, and I doubt a guy could go very far wrong with any of them. I've also found that the guys who do have problems with their bikes are the guys who flog the crap our of their machines, but NEVER do anything to maintain them. Then when they break down, which any one can do if they are abused, they bitch about what a terrible bike it was, when the bike usually wasn't at fault.

Can there be bad bikes and bad designs? Yes. I think the upside down forks was a bad design because the most vunerable part was down where the rocks could get to them, then the fender mounts were mostly garbage, I think Beta's set up was the best. Fantic's hoizontal radiator wasn't a great idea either, but other than than my 94 KRoo was bullet proof.

Are the GG Pro's as lasting as my 321? I don't know, I've never owned one, but if GAS GAS does actually build a 350cc four stroke push rod engined Trials bike, with EFI and it looks like a decent unit, I'll buy one.

RRunner, you talk a lot of sense. We can all slate a bike if you want to ride every week and not maintain the beast. My 07 GG ( and the wifes) are proving to be great, straight out of the crate. They will still run great in 3 years, as I will be in the garage as many hours as I am riding..... Part of the fun if you ask me.

WRT to a 4T GasGas. Please can it be light, easy to work on and keep mechanically sound (those 4T MXers cost thousands if they go wrong) and well carburated.

another message for GG:

just got home from a trial. sections were swamp mud fourth gear throttle to the stop and dumping the clutch all day... none (inc) of the experts were riding 4t, and most ride a newer bike than me.

my bike is an 05 raga

Edited by spud

another message for GG:

just got home from a trial. sections were swamp mud fourth gear throttle to the stop and dumping the clutch all day... none (inc) of the experts were riding 4t, and most ride a newer bike than me.

my bike is an 05 raga

And your point is!!!!!

do they have trials in kent ??

i thougt it was flat with no rocks,

ask steve saunders how he got on in his last trial,on the fourstroke, he won the experts by 66 marks,

how many marks did you win by spud????????

Edited by Dixie

dixie, haven't got the results but not that i need them i'm riding a class above my abilities (expert route) :D . do this because i'm trying to become a better centre intermediate and would like to ride some events outside the south east. anyway gotta say i've never reved my bike so hard ever! there was quite a lot of queing for the 70 odd riders and 13 sections,mostly because bikes were being retreived from the sections and needing 2-3 people to drag them out. no big off's for me but not so lucky for some others. a good trial, i'm learning more stuff everytime i ride little by little. i'd have liked to have seen saunders riding he's mega in these types of conditions (rev-4 video clip). my bruv rode for his second time in many years off, he was on the inter route and lost loads of marks, reckon that is was too much for him - his best rides were when i was shouting at him in the sections :D . the land is in e. sussex, was muddy banks, rocky stream in a woodland. yes there are quite a few pieces of land in kent i ride at. reckon i may have lost 150marks :D

going back to the threads topic. stability on my old 4rt was really good,but i had big problems finding traction in the mud, unlike any 2t i've owned. if gas gas can make their 4t stable and grip as good in the mud as my 300cc raga i will buy one!....even thou i haven't got the money :D There is only onebike i've test ridden which ticked the following boxes. stability, power, lightness, confidence and that bike was the sherco replica. i really hope that gas gas will get there bike light and under 70kg with efi and 350cc engine and most importantly it looks a good as the rev-4

Edited by spud

This thing about traction and what machine is best to get best traction makes me laugh.

Steve Saunders riding an NSU quickly would get more traction than most novices do on any bike.

The main components are simply the riders ability to combine the distribution in weight with the application of the bikes power as smoothly as possible.

Some of us have it and some of us don't and most of us don't including me :D

To say a 4rt doesnt get grip and a Gas Gas does is just plain silly !

IMHO :D

:agree:

I generally struggle to find grip in the wet but when I first rode my bike. Whereas my dad and brother could get on it and find grip easily because they had better balance and throttle control than me.

Same as in any other motorbike sport. A good rider can make a cr** bike look good.

That

The main components are simply the riders ability to combine the distribution in weight with the application of the bikes power as smoothly as possible.

Some of us have it and some of us don't and most of us don't including me :D

IMHO :D

I don't :D

i'm NOT saying my 05 4rt was bad (clutch could have been a little better) and in my case its most definately pilot error not machine!!! still hard to swallow this fact and why i sold the 4rt :D

Edited by spud

Spud i have to agree with you on the grip you get

with the 4rt's down here in the south they are not at

there best in the sticky mud once you break drive on one

forget it I know three people who have had them and

gone back to two strokes one of the reasons being this.

Mind you on the rocks is where they come into there own!

Spud i have to agree with you on the grip you get

with the 4rt's down here in the south they are not at

there best in the sticky mud once you break drive on one

forget it I know three people who have had them and

gone back to two strokes one of the reasons being this.

Mind you on the rocks is where they come into there own!

Its difficult when i'm sure we both know it is the rider and our skills which are at fault and not the bike. That said, and from my prospective to change from a 2t to any 4t i'd be doing so because there is a marked improvement with the 4t bike. My limited riding skills suit the 2t's better. I will never be as good as steve saunders, and may never master the throttle control stuff in the mud, so what i want is a bike which takes me through sections the best, and not requiring a special way of ride. The saying goes Old Dogs don't learn New Tricks and i'm no spring chicken.

Just going to moan a little at you. Please can you add further details to your profile, i wouldn't say this but if you are from the south east of england it would be nice to know.

Edited by spud