What's Wrong With 200s

scraggydog

Fancied changing my present bike for a nearly new 200. I am a novice rider though I am note intimidated by the power of a big bike.

To my mind a 200 would seem to be the ideal compromise of power to weight though they do not seem popular with other riders. Does anybody thoughts or experience of 200s.

Thanks, Scraggydog

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my mind a 200 would seem to be the ideal compromise of power to weight though they do not seem popular with other riders. Does anybody thoughts or experience of 200s.

Thanks, Scraggydog

Everyone i know who has one loves it, they are great fun to ride and are generally suitable for all club type sections.

Go for it and you wont regret it.

What brand is the 200 you are looking at??

Spot on ER

i had a 200 beta in 99.

it was a fantastic bike even at 17.5 stone it had plenty of power.

as i have said elseware most people are over biked,i think i am right in saying john lampkin helped beta develope the 200 beta for the british market,he never understood why it was not more popular

Edited by Dixie

as i have said elseware most people are over biked,i think i am right in saying john lampkin helped beta develope the 200 beta for the british market,he never understood why it was not more popular

Because most of us are fixated by bikes with more power. If you ride a 200 and like then good luck too you, I've ridden a 200 beta and it is sooo smooth. I have a 250 but that's more an economical decision, what I could get and afford at the time..

i have had a 2001 gasser 200 and it was amazing for such a little bike and it helped me alot to learn the skills of riding instead of just whacking open the throttle + they are more fun to ride and have less power so if you get in to trouble you can get yourself out again, if i was to have another new bike i would definitely be having a look at the 200 gasgas and i think the reason why they are not popular is because they dont keep their money aswell when coming to sell it and also everyone nowadays thinks that the bigger the bike the better

The two bikes on the top of my list for my next change sometime in 07 with a bit of luck are:

1. Beta rev 3 200

2. Beta rev 4t

I honestly believe the 200 will help my riding so much :blush:

phew - thought you were gonna make the stupid decision and go to sherco - (or scorpa)

The two bikes on the top of my list for my next change sometime in 07 with a bit of luck are:

1. Beta rev 3 200

2. Beta rev 4t

I honestly believe the 200 will help my riding so much :blush:

phew - thought you were gonna make the stupid decision and go to sherco - (or scorpa)

There isnt a smiley to say i dont agree with the above, or a smiley to say barry get a sherco.

Get the 200 barry :blink:

Then when you beat heath you can annoy him about him having a too powerful bike :(

ill shut up now having a 290 sherco but it was an awesome deal not too be missed :D

I believe the reasons why people don't buy 200s very often is:-

1) You are not allowed to ride a 200 if you are a youth unless you ride out of class.

2) Adult riders are fixated on power and the bigger the bike the better senario.

3) Due to the above there resale value is poor.

Cheers

sean

Scraggydog,

I ride a 200 Sherco, it is a few years old but smooth as silk. I'm only about 10 stone so it is never challenged. I have to say that I hold the bike back, not the other way around. Riding club trials it is pretty rare to feel the need for more power but in almost every section the easy nature of the bike is a real benefit.

At the time I bought it the 125s were very revvy, whilst the 200 does have some torque. On top of the ego factor of having a bigger bike, I think people are wary of 200s because of the resale value. Now that youths have to ride 125s the 200s are arguably even more niche than they were before.

I believe 125 development has come on leaps & bounds in the past couple of years as the youths have to ride them & there is a real market. I guess the issue here is the riding style you need to adopt as they still seem very revvy, but then again have you seen what Alexz Wigg & Ross Danby do on 125s? Not many of us are going to be riding to that level on any bike.

I'd say go for a 200 by all means, but why not try a 125 in comparison before decide? (Thats what I plan to do when I can ride often enough to justify a new bike)

Neil

My nephew has a 200 gasser and it's an amazing little bike i can do things on that, that i wouldn't even think of on me sherco, not really tryed it in any sections but would hazzard a bet on me riding better on it. It's just so smooth and useable

:blush:

Try a Scorpa 125 or 175 as the new ones are. I trialled my 125 yesterday on the white route, spent a lot of time in water and through rocky streams etc. The bike did not miss a beat all day, I am around 14 stone and the Scorpa performed well. We were at South Shropshire do. Good day :(:blush:

PS. I am a novice also. Try one out I guarantee you will be surprised.

Edited by bo drinker

It does not make sense. But in America, if some is good, more is better and too much is just right.

That was my trail of thoughts when I started in the sport but now I`m pretty sure less is more, it`ll make you improve your technique rather than like me at the moment using the bikes power to overcome things, OK I admit I have a little bit of tecnique but not as much as i`d need too make me a better rider and the 200 would make this come on I hope

Hi folks,

I've just bought this year's Beta 200 ( about 5 weeks back ) and would enthusiatically agree it is a great bit of kit. Time to do what you want...!

The previous bikes have been GasGas 300's or whatever incarnation and would now agree I've over biked....

On the resale comments....why the problem ...?

Everyone seems to agree they are great bikes...however there seems to be an issue on paying the money...

Is this poor publicity....or what ?