Bbc's Top Gear Programme.

scorpa3

Having just watched another episode of BBC's Top Gear programme, I've come to the conclusion that the producers have made a concerted effort to 'dumb it down'.... a lot.

Now in the past, Top Gear would never have been described as educational, sometimes bearly even informative, but the new series, (in my opinion) is utter garbage.

If Top Gear is now a comedy programme then they need to employ some comical writers and some real actors, not Clarkson and co who merely come accross as overpaid arrogant idiots. (Actually excellent motoring journalists; just NOT comedy actors.)

I thought the piece on 24 hour road repairs was dross and had reached the bottom of the barrel, but what on earth were they thinking when they filmed the American challenge that was shown tonight?

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve only watched the last couple of yrs, so have no idea what it used to be like yrs ago . From what I`ve seen though , it hasnt really changed over the 2 yrs or so

All the silly tests they do are not done properly and favour Clarkson every time.

To me Top Gear is about entertainment and less about concise reviews of motor vehicles.............with that in mind the show is a good old laugh.

Take the episodes some time ago when they tried to destroy a 4x4 by losing it at sea, blowing up etc etc.....what a scream!

Ian.

Top Gear is just an excuse for Clarkson, Captain Slow and Hamster to play with big boys' toys and prat about. And get paid for it.

It's brilliant. I love it.

Don't take it so seriously.

Yep, I agree.

But one of their challenges in tonights episode was to collect road kill and eat it, so they drove along looking at squashed animals. Finally Clarkson appeared with a full sized dead cow on the roof of his car.

Not taking it seriously is one thing.... I think this is now awfull and probably won't watch any more episodes which is a shame as I used to look forward to each show.

Top Gear is just an excuse for Clarkson, Captain Slow and Hamster to play with big boys' toys and prat about. And get paid for it.

It's brilliant. I love it.

Don't take it so seriously.

Yep, I agree.

But one of their challenges in tonights episode was to collect road kill and eat it, so they drove along looking at squashed animals. Finally Clarkson appeared with a full sized dead cow on the roof of his car.

Damn that was sooooo funny - :wacko: missus wasn't too impressed :D

Top gear is the best thing on tv for entertainment value - unless you call Big Brother entertainment :lol:

Not taking it seriously is one thing.... I think this is now awfull and probably won't watch any more episodes which is a shame as I used to look forward to each show.

This is just men behaving badly revisted ! It's essential viewing in my house. Shame you are not going to watch it.. but it pulls more viewers than any other program of its type so a lot of people must like it !

And the fact Clarkson is sooooo non PC .. Love it .

One of the best shows on the box, certainly better than most of the dross we are forced to watch :D

Thinking about this while lying awake last night....again....

Whatever stupidity the three of them get up to there's always some kind of poignancy about the show. Take last night as an example: they drove from Florida to New Orleans, nearly got roasted in Alabama then into the devastated city of New Orleans...can't remember exactly what Clarkson said but something along the lines of how can the wealthiest country in the world allow this devastation still to be here a year after Hurricane Catriona hit....some line.

Anyway, why do we love the idea of three allegedly grown ups pratting around with cars, driving all over the world in the kind of motoring exotica we'd love a shot at, while chucking the dreaded PC book out of the latest sporty cabriolet....simple. We'd all love to do it!

In whatever guise, the programme represents a fantasy that MOST of us would love to act out, thrashing a DB9 all the way to Monaco, A Ferrari Scagliatti to Verbier...need I go on. Even 20 years ago, the cars they had on then were superb, we all wanted to be whichever presenter was there at the time just to get our hands on those steering wheels. It is superb TV.

Anyway, hands up, all us middle aged blokes of any age who wouldn't want to get paid to do exactly the same thing????

...and on that bombshell.....

Edited by Slapshot 3

There is one good face to that show,and that is if those three half wit's can make it in life any one can.

Yep, hit the nail on the head there. Couldn't agree more. I'm a shallow, middle-aged, political correctness-hating, under-achieving slacker too, and proud of it. And that's why I love Top Gear and believe that Clarkson should seriously consider running for PM.

Clarkson as PM? Let's just consider the overnight changes;

Speed humps removed

Speed cameras removed

Speed limits raised where applicable in line with improvements to vehicle engineering over the last 25yrs

Petrol 20p a litre

Parking wardens retrained to have discretion or sent to work in hospitals/build hospitals

Wheel spinning spotty uninsured sub 1.3L hatchback driving morons used to underpin new hospital foundations

The re-introduction of common sense

Political Correctness re-assigned to the nearest land fill

Yep, could work

We've always had to accept the fact that their challenges have been coreographed.

I mean, who would ever believe Hammond and May had 'forgotten that they couldn't fly at night' during the episode when the plane raced the Buggatti.

But I think the lastest series has spoilt the concept; it's not tongue in cheek... it's idiotic.