Bbc's Top Gear Programme.

scorpa3

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it a serious motoring show - of course not!!! I'ld like to watch one, but its not going to be a ratings winner

Top Gear is a great huemrous "bokes" TV show, highly un PC, etc - but its a ratings winner on an otherwise (normally) dire night of the week

Wouldn't want to see the full hour taken up like that every week, but have to admit to laughing at last nights program. Can't believe there seems to be the beginnings of a bring back William Woolard campaign going on here :D

Edited by arun1664

into the devastated city of New Orleans...can't remember exactly what Clarkson said but something along the lines of how can the wealthiest country in the world allow this devastation still to be here a year after Hurricane Catriona hit....some line.

Man I'm getting sensitive in my old age. Taxes have already spent BILLIONS cleaning stuff up. Most of the people in New Orleans EXPECT the government to do everything for them. We need to clean it up, with a bulldozer.New Orleans was an embarrassment before Katrina, now everyone knows about it. Upstate NY has 11 feet of snow, 11 feet!

I bet those people get off their dead a$$es and deal with there own problems. 2 years after Katrina and many people in Louisiana are still living in government supplied homes and hotel rooms.There are some really tragic stories out of that area that I don't wan to dismiss, but DANG, when are the people that live there going to get to work?

Answer, never.

Sorry,

The USA is a wonderful place and I hate the media for always putting us in a negative light.

into the devastated city of New Orleans...can't remember exactly what Clarkson said but something along the lines of how can the wealthiest country in the world allow this devastation still to be here a year after Hurricane Catriona hit....some line.

Man I'm getting sensitive in my old age. Taxes have already spent BILLIONS cleaning stuff up. Most of the people in New Orleans EXPECT the government to do everything for them. We need to clean it up, with a bulldozer.New Orleans was an embarrassment before Katrina, now everyone knows about it. Upstate NY has 11 feet of snow, 11 feet!

I bet those people get off their dead a$$es and deal with there own problems. 2 years after Katrina and many people in Louisiana are still living in government supplied homes and hotel rooms.There are some really tragic stories out of that area that I don't wan to dismiss, but DANG, when are the people that live there going to get to work?

Answer, never.

Sorry,

The USA is a wonderful place and I hate the media for always putting us in a negative light.

Hi Brian,

No offence meant when I put that comment in, just trying to emphasise a point about the show that despite all the stupdity there is always a serious undertone there if folks want to look for it. Taking that whole show as it was, effectivley a bit of a mickey take of certain stereotypes, Alabama rednecks etc etc, the line seemed very poignant.

I understand where you are coming from it's the same in every country, most people are willing to get off their butts to do a job and contribute to society while a sad narrow-minded minority would rather sponge off the government expecting everything for nothing!! As a tax payer it sickens me.

You're not alone.

Donald

Ah!! the old "Top Gear" debate. The reason the show is how it is is that it's a successful format. In most shows the serious mixes with the irrevelent. JC never minced his words in the "old" TG and now it's his show and He can take the P*ss out of who he wants now. It's also a cynical look at the world from the point of view of people who hate the PC world we have to tolerate.

Answer, never.

Sorry,

Hi Brian,

No offence meant when I put that comment in, just trying to emphasise a point about the show that despite all the stupdity there is always a serious undertone there if folks want to look for it. Taking that whole show as it was, effectivley a bit of a mickey take of certain stereotypes, Alabama rednecks etc etc, the line seemed very poignant.

I understand where you are coming from it's the same in every country, most people are willing to get off their butts to do a job and contribute to society while a sad narrow-minded minority would rather sponge off the government expecting everything for nothing!! As a tax payer it sickens me.

You're not alone.

Donald

Crickey, when I started this topic I only wanted to say how dissapointed I was with the way Top Gear is being dumbed down, I really didn't mean it to turn into an International debate on world affairs.

I am increasingly frustrated with the need to be PC, I think Jeremy Clarkson should be applauded for for the way he approaches this. Richard Hammond is an all roaund good guy and I think James May is a wonderful character. I have little doiubt that as motoring journalists, all three are very competent.

I just think they way Top Gear has now gone is rubbish and for me all three of the presenters have let themselves down by appearing idiotic, fumbling morons. And as Arun1664 says, I really wouldn't want to be subjected to an hour of that again.

It's pretty obvious that the (attempt) at humour hasn't come from the presenters, they are following instructions from higher up in the production heirachy. Personally I dislike it, but from the comments above I seem to be in a minority, so maybe it's a good direction for the programme to go.

We've had Top Gear on a few times over here and I loved it.

Nice to see a "gear head" show that doesn't take itself so seriously.

Now all we get it NASCAR, I used to be a fan of NASCAR many years ago, but now all the production cars are 4 door, 4 or 6 cylinder, front wheel drive vehicles. The race cars are all 2 door, V8 rear wheel drive cars. It just doesn't make sense to me. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday?

topgear is just a couple of blokes doing what blokes do and talk about down the pub.............. brilliant concept!!! the america challenge episode made me laugh so much. especially the hicks chasing them!

at the end of the day its just a tv program. If you dont like it, turn over......

Scroll around the other channels Freeview n all that s***e others copying them in many ways with the limited budget they have. I never liked Clarkson years ago but I can see where his style is coming from, his preference in cars is not right in this country, usually big engined things that are a waste of time here. But its not his money that he is spending when YOU are watching him on tv and for the BBC its good as they usually stand for PC in a big way. :rotfl:

Scroll around the other channels Freeview n all that s***e others copying them in many ways with the limited budget they have. I never liked Clarkson years ago but I can see where his style is coming from, his preference in cars is not right in this country, usually big engined things that are a waste of time here. But its not his money that he is spending when YOU are watching him on tv and for the BBC its good as they usually stand for PC in a big way. :rotfl:

His own cars pretty much reflect what he says on the show and he puts his money where his mouth is. He has just bought a Gallardo Spyder and has a Merc SL. He did have the Ford GT. He also champions good cars that are not that expensive. He has a Focus as a "shopping"/nanny car and loves it.