Stolen Bikes

amiller

Just a question for all the different clubes out their about stolen bikes and problems in genral.

I keep seeing things about stolen bikes pop up and it gets me to thinking about my club. The riders that show up to our events tend to come from all walks of life. The one thing they all seem to have in common besides motorcycles is being really great people. You could leave a $100.00 bill on the sign up table and at the end of the day it would still be sitting there. In fact there would probably be more money there because someone though it was for a collection. No one locks their vehicles or trailers during the event and it is not uncommon to have people borrow something during the event from another rider in order to finish.

Maybe we have been lucky all this time and its just a matter of time before something happens but its enjoyable not being concerned and just having fun.

So, I have to wonder what the rest of the trials community has experienced?

Aaron

I've left my camera bag (containing backup camera, lens(es), flash gun etc) at many a section whilst I've wandered up and down it and if it's a continuous hill of several subs then I may be a fair distance away. I've never thought twice about it.

BTW, I only admit that because I've now got a photographers vest with a multitude of pockets so the bag is no longer required. :)

Guest Yamaha_dude

I left my coat at a section because it was too hot and went back at the end of the day and it was still there. also i have often borowed tools and things like this to make it around.

Edited by Yamaha_dude

my first trial, my bike wouldnt start, so don from off road moto, kindly helped me and my dad, he let us try new spark plugs,caps etc, he was a great help. unluckly we couldnt get it started, :) but thanks to him and john charlton for helping ;)

I totally agree that trials riders are amongst the most honourable and honest people you could wish to meet. That is, until you ride a trial where you have a fuel stop where you have left a drinks bottle attached to your fuel can at the halfway point! You know, when its baking hot and you are gagging for a drink and you arrive at the fuel stop frantically searching for your fuel can only to find the drink bottle you had attached to your fuel can is missing (duct tape blowing in the breeze!) Or the drinks bottle is present but the majority of the contents seem to have evaporated!

I suppose thats why 'Camelbacks' and the like have took off in such a big way!

Oh and you have to be wary of those who are not content with their own machines, I remember parking my bike once in the Cleveland National whilst I walked the section only to watch another rider through and thinking 'hmmm, he seems to have the same stickers and scratches on his bike as I have'! Sad thing was he cleaned the bl**dy section and when I (eventually) got my bike back I took a big five!

Eiger. :):);)

Here in detroit they are trying to break the bank robbery record for the year. I have never heard of a trials bike stolen in this area. I do keep my baby locked to the trailer while its on there but at the event its the same senario as all the rest.

The people in trials are just awesome. The first club event this season I had everything ready to go. pants, gloves, jersey, boots, gas, gasgas, tools, and lube. I got all signed up and dressed up then when it came time to put on the helmet....... DOH :) The event ref lent me his brand new helmet for the whole event. Now thats awesome.

Biff,

You got somebody elses brand new helmet all stinky, boy that guy was really nice.

Anyway all the events that I go to are of the same wonderful caliber that every else has experienced. I have loaned tools and rode away confident that they will find their way back to my tool box. I have seen people give away tubes, patch kits, fuel, spark plugs, etc.. I smashed the clutch cover on my bike and lost all my transmission fluid on the ground. Biff (the wonderful guy that he is) gave me a quart so that I could finish the event.

I guess all I am saying is that trials people are some of the best people on earth.