Grippiest Bike?

5again

Looking out of the window this morning and watching the rain I was thinking what is the grippiest bike? - forget build quality and all the usual best bike stuff, in the snottiest conditions, greasy clay, chalk or mud, slimy rocks, though being a southerner don't know too much about that, what is the bike with best ability to get you to the ends cards feet up. Assuming you are not Grimbo!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats interesting about the Scorpa, recently I've noticed a few looking good in dodgy conditions, though of course usually associate that with the rider.

I'm currently running a GG 250 Pro, which whilst being light etc it does seem very sensitive to body position, also I don't think it has the most flywheel, its revs very freely and doesn't take much to break traction. I agree its the rider that finds the grip, but I wonder if some bikes are better than others, tyre condition and rider being the same.

Reading a few replys here, there's no doubt that being a good rider makes a differance. However, I guess that you're asking for a comparison between bikes with the same skill level of rider. Well, I've never tried out a Gas Gas but in my opinion I would rate the Scorpa SY first, then Beta Rev 3 with Montesa Cota very close behind. Sherco (270cc) at the end.

The guys I ride with have often remarked how much grip the SY finds, in fact one of them has even called the bike "Mr Grippy".

Edited by boofont

I would agree with Boofont, as a Yamaha TYZ enthusiast I believed they were very forgiving and gave smooth bottom-end power and the Scorpa engine is a derivative of the TYZ.

Mind you I remember the little TY175 being one of the best bikes to ride in icy conditions, or the Majesty's, they would seem to find grip on the most polished icy surface. I think the favourite tyre for snowy/icy trials was the Pirelli MT43 which had a harder compound to 'bite' into the icy conditions better. However, these observations relate to your average rider where a bike's power can make a difference, as for a world class rider they seem to be able to do that with any modern bike.

Eiger

To me the Scorpa is like the modern version of an OSSA. Perhaps a bit sluggish power delivery compared to the Pro, but such a tractor for muddy conditions! It's just the bike for clubmen who ride in slippery conditions most of the time. If I had one I'd paint it white with a green stripe and put OSSA emblems on it. :D

Likewise, I would have voted for the Scorpa SY250. That is until I rode my new Scorpa SY175 this weekend!

Out where we practice, we have this one particular off-camber turn back up the hill which is equally slick when too dry, as it is when wet. On my SY250, I could clean it 3, maybe 4, out of 5 times. This past Saturday, on the SY175, I rode it numerous times and never dabbed. The way the bike delivers it's power, it just hooks up and makes traction in an almost unbelievable way.

I am anxious to ride the Montesa and see how it does in this situation as well. I have no doubt that the 4-stroke engine will be better in these circumstances, but I am curious as to whether the added displacement (read power) will help or hinder the traction to the ground. In every circumstance, the SY175 never felt underpowered. Less power than my SY250 yes, but never underpowered. It was just smooth, linear, traction that was very predictable and user freindly.

DG Shannon, is the new Scorpa 175 really a 175? Is it one of the 125's with a big bore 143cc kit from poweroll? (poweroll makes the kits for B&J racing) Have you replaced the SY 250 with a mini four stoke? I have ridden the bikes with the big bore kit and without. I agree they are very tractable. I think they would be better still if they were more like 250- 300 cc's and still that same weight. They need the be able to pull second and third for big steps. In our local events in expert class I would say there are some sections which require just a bit more power than the little four banger can muster. (revved to the moon in first gear just doesn't cut it) The 250 is perfect for these. I am definitely a fan of the Scorpa SY 250 although I have never owned one yet. It certainly is a very impressive trials bike! Congrat's to those who own them. Nice bike!

Likewise, I would have voted for the Scorpa SY250.  That is until I rode my new Scorpa SY175 this weekend!

Out where we practice, we have this one particular off-camber turn back up the hill which is equally slick when too dry, as it is when wet.  On my SY250, I could clean it 3, maybe 4, out of 5 times.  This past Saturday, on the SY175, I rode it numerous times and never dabbed.  The way the bike delivers it's power, it just hooks up and makes traction in an almost unbelievable way.

I am anxious to ride the Montesa and see how it does in this situation as well.  I have no doubt that the 4-stroke engine will be better in these circumstances, but I am curious as to whether the added displacement (read power) will help or hinder the traction to the ground.  In every circumstance, the SY175 never felt underpowered.  Less power than my SY250 yes, but never underpowered.  It was just smooth, linear, traction that was very predictable and user freindly.

I agree with you DG rode my 175 at weekend in an national great in muck, slippy rocks,

we had great tough cross country she just flew over it

Vinnie

Have you had chance to compare to the 125 version yet Vinnie?

I agree with Jaylael on the first gear thing, I wouldn't fancy riding my 125 on the hard route, but then again you wouldn't buy a 125 Scorpa to ride Expert stuff on!.

I had chance to have a go on an 04 250 SY Scorpa this weekend, only 15 mins in the brook and up some muddy banks.....rode nice, thing that struck me was the thing vibrated a fair bit!! I never had chance to ride a TYZ when they were out so I can't say if there all like that.

I'm looking into buying a S/Hand bike next year to keep the Scorpa 125 company in the garage, not sure if I'd go for an SY250 after my little play on my mates this weekend, I like the look of the 315R, but some guy told me there "Hard to ride"!!!...whatever that means :o