My Brand New Sherpa T

no jive

Here is a picture of my brand new Sherpa T. My Dad called me about a year ago and said a friend was selling a Bultaco in mint condition. So off I went with cash in hand. When I got there it was far from mint. But it was all there. Loaded it in my truck and let it sit in my garage for 6 months. It took about a year to restore. New paint everywhere. A lot of polishing (on the bike). A lot of headaches mainly with the swing arm. My wife seemed really impressed with the results :o Oh well maybe my friends will like it. Critisism allowed this is my first restore.

Oh crap im turning into my Dad. :thumbup:

post-1495-1240195352.jpg

post-1495-1240196133.jpg

Edited by No Jive

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that looks SWEET, Clive!

Never would'a thunk it, as you did not ask a lot of questions or nuthin' on the forum!

You might need to invite Lane over to give you some lessons cause if you fill up those Akront mudcatchers, reach for the brake on the wrong side, fall over and let that Amal pee down your leg, well, just remember it weighs more than you! :thumbup:

That is a nice and original restoration No Jive. It is very nice to see original bikes racing classic trials. Congratulations.

Wifes being impressed about their own husbands restoring bikes is just the first step of a long staircase. With the time: "wifes hate bikes". This is the only truth.

At last it will cost you a lot of money in romantic dinners, operas, romantic comedy movies, visits to your in-law family and all this sort of boaring things that wifes enjoy to do if you want them to live a live in peace with your classic bikes (our real and true loves).

Mine looked dissapointed when I told her she should use Castrol TTS better than the perfume she normally uses.

Edited by Greeves

Now Clive , Take it out and throw it at some rocks ! Every time you ride it and then get back on your modern bike , you'll feel like superman !

Able to leap tall buildings in a single splat !

But really , quite a nice job , looks to be well worth the effort , Just remember it'll never be that clean again ... And the swingarm is supposed to leak oil ...

Glenn :thumbup:

Thanks everyone. The bike only has 400 miles on it. I put about 3k into it. It is amazing how fast I can screw something up and have to buy another piece.

I like the oil leak comment. I drained all of the oil out of the motor and it still leaks.

I have always loved the Sherpas all nice and polished. My plan is to show it for a while then maybe ride it. My Dad said how he hates it when people sit in the parking lot and polish their bikes. So I had a great idea to have a bike that is all polished up and not ride it. Good therapy

That is a nice and original restoration No Jive. It is very nice to see original bikes racing classic trials. Congratulations.

Wifes being impressed about their own husbands restoring bikes is just the first step of a long staircase. With the time: "wifes hate bikes". This is the only truth.

At last it will cost you a lot of money in romantic dinners, operas, romantic comedy movies, visits to your in-law family and all this sort of boaring things that wifes enjoy to do if you want them to live a live in peace with your classic bikes (our real and true loves).

Mine looked dissapointed when I told her she should use Castrol TTS better than the perfume she normally uses.

:thumbup:

Javier, I read that post and thought just how accurate it was until the last sentence.....surely you mean Castrol "R" :thumbup:

PS....That looks superb No Jive

Edited by Slapshot 3

It's 'glass so make sure it's sealed before putting gas in it.

Yes it has been sealed. The gas tank is a long story. I sent it off to the expert Bultaco tank guy. Came back with a big smudge on the tank. Sent it back and I was still not happy. Brought it to the local paint guy and $375 later it looks way better. I learned that if something is going to go wrong it will happen to me. I like hearing WOW I have never seen that happen before. Good thing I like beer :D

Copey was my inspiration. After he posted his plane that he built I was wondering if I was lazy. Luckily Im not going to fly my Bultaco. It would crash for sure. I still have a few loose ends to tie up on the bike. I just wanted to get it back together.

I can hardly wait to sit in the parking lot and polish the bike in front of my Dad. That will be a Kodax moment. :D

Yes it has been sealed. The gas tank is a long story. I sent it off to the expert Bultaco tank guy. Came back with a big smudge on the tank. Sent it back and I was still not happy. Brought it to the local paint guy and $375 later it looks way better. I learned that if something is going to go wrong it will happen to me. I like hearing WOW I have never seen that happen before. Good thing I like beer :D

Copey was my inspiration. After he posted his plane that he built I was wondering if I was lazy. Luckily Im not going to fly my Bultaco. It would crash for sure. I still have a few loose ends to tie up on the bike. I just wanted to get it back together.

I can hardly wait to sit in the parking lot and polish the bike in front of my Dad. That will be a Kodax moment. :D

It is somewhat ironic, but these things have their value in personal satisfaction, as one rarely realizes any return monitarily for their toils!

Clive, I will tell you that I have soo many hours in one of them planes, I don't really want to fly the friggin thing once i'm done! It is just an old basic POS! Sorta like the Bultaco, I don't neccessarily want to ride the friggin thing, just putt about , look at it, polish it! Whatever!

As one only has soo much time and effort(and money) to devote to things, I spent more weekends riding for several years, then I had to

lay off and put time in to get things done. In the last six or eight months( 2 years), I have managed to get the wings painted, along with all control surfaces, reinstalled and it all runs! Has completed high speed taxi tests and the wheels (almost, yea) left the ground. New interior is the next thing. Money and time!

If I am lucky enough to find the time and money to fly the thing up to BC to go visit Fracy, I may well stop by to see you on the way! Do you have Coors? :huh:

Hey Copey ; There is a little airport in Dickson TN. , just a few minutes from ITSA Headquarters / B&J racing ... So think about coming up for one of the two day champ. rounds , if you really want to see what ITSA all about !

Glenn ,

PS. what kinda aircraft ? I had a 1958 aircoupe at one time in the past , was all kinds of fun !