125's And Their Usefulness

jeeves88

Hay, i have a Gas Gas 270, and its a brilliant bike any amount of power, really a bit too much for some occasions, but was thinking of a 125 for lightness and just a mess about bike and for smaller trials where the power isnt needed, but the question really was is it actually gonna be useful, im like 13 stone or something, i just figured they wouldnt have the poke sometimes for hill climbs?

Cheers Chris

Hay, i have a Gas Gas 270, and its a brilliant bike any amount of power, really a bit too much for some occasions, but was thinking of a 125 for lightness and just a mess about bike and for smaller trials where the power isnt needed, but the question really was is it actually gonna be useful, im like 13 stone or something, i just figured they wouldnt have the poke sometimes for hill climbs?

Cheers Chris

ever thought of the 225?

The little GG125 Racing is a brilliant bike! It has lots of power, just on the top end when you rev the nuts off it. The 225 is a great option on one too. A couple guys here also put the 200 top end on it too, which has enough power for 99% of the people out there. Brilliant little bike!

Cheers Chris

Might be worth sending billycraig a pm, he was riding a 300 last year and has now moved on to a little 125. Seemed to have enough grunt to get him around the SSDT, and there a few biggies in that trial.

Not found much mine won't get up. Coming from a 300 i occasionally doubt it but theirs always enough power. Fairly big hillclimb at todays Novagar and i can remember struggling last year on my Raga but flew up it today. You have to ride the bike a lot more which is why i wanted one. Think my riding is benefiting :(

I would reccomend going for a tuned model, such as the paxau or academy sherco or raga gasser, the gassers rev too the moon but the sherco's are soo torquey, fathers 16 stone and can ride my paxau anywhere! even wheelies from a stand still, with him on it in fourth!

Just pop along to a trial or something and try them out....

Not found much mine won't get up. Coming from a 300 i occasionally doubt it but theirs always enough power. Fairly big hillclimb at todays Novagar and i can remember struggling last year on my Raga but flew up it today. You have to ride the bike a lot more which is why i wanted one. Think my riding is benefiting :(

Something ive been meaning to ask you billy, whats the top speed like on the 125? are you worried about keeping up in the scott this year?

Tom

Something ive been meaning to ask you billy, whats the top speed like on the 125? are you worried about keeping up in the scott this year?

Tom

Was a little slow on the road in Scotland, 45ish apart from a day when i was almost out of time :rotfl:

I'm worried about keeping up every year in the Scott :( but the bikes capable of doing it as it flew over the moors in Scotland. Just need to get myself up to the same level :)

I think you may gather a bit on this thread referring to "usefulness"!

I had one for several years, along with the big bikes, and would ride the 125 by choice at a number of club events. Great fun to ride, although one needs to be prepared to ride the bike much more aggressively in the revs and such, using the clutch a lot more, and forget about "poke" just off the bottom. Very gentile though off the bottom? Good in the slick stuff. Put you on your ass if you let one lag on an uphill!

Great to train with, technique needs to be good!

Otherwise fat an lazy folk like me tend to get along much better with at least a 200 which does have some true "poke" in the lower revs. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I too would like to try a 125..... I currently run a '99 sherco 250.... Its a good bike with plenty of power but i reckon due to my pants riding skills i would be better going for a 125 or a 200.

I thought maybe a beta 200 cause i am about 14 stone and think a 125 might struggle to get me to places.....

All of the previous info however suggests 125's do the buisness.

If you had to choose a lower cc bike what would it be and why?

Cheers

Iain