Montesa/Honda future?

jj65

So, with Alfredo Gomez not getting Montesa bikes for 2012 (p*** poor timing for Alfredo), Fabio Lenzi leaving the Future Montesa team and Laia Sanz, now on the Gas Gas, how long before, either Honda pull the plug on Montesa, or show continued interest in motorcycle trials with the launch of a new bike.

Personally I'd like to see Honda continue, (I love my 4RT) In my personal opinion, they should ditch the Montesa name and sell the new bike as a Honda RTL, because thats what effectively they have been and would be (Its not like Honda dont have any history or success in trials is it). I dont think they would, as the name doesnt really make that much difference, we all know there Hondas in all but name. Toni would no doubt still win many more WTC on it, question is, will 2012 be Do or Die?

Do,

I hope so,

for the little (relatively low cost) of 2 x world championships per year, company prestige and for all of us Honda fans. I would imagine Repsol money is keeping the team going and let's face it, they only really need one world champion.

I fear this may not be the case though (history is repeating itself :0( and Honda is getting back into F1) ironically, the 4RT is quite popular where I ride, I know of 7 being bought in the last couple of months and good used ones are like rocking horse s**t.

Edited by JJ65

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, with Alfredo Gomez not getting Montesa bikes for 2012 (p*** poor timing for Alfredo), Fabio Lenzi leaving the Future Montesa team and Laia Sanz, now on the Gas Gas, how long before, either Honda pull the plug on Montesa, or show continued interest in motorcycle trials with the launch of a new bike.

Personally I'd like to see Honda continue, (I love my 4RT) In my personal opinion, they should ditch the Montesa name and sell the new bike as a Honda RTL, because thats what effectively they have been and would be (Its not like Honda dont have any history or success in trials is it). I dont think they would, as the name doesnt really make that much difference, we all know there Hondas in all but name. Toni would no doubt still win many more WTC on it, question is, will 2012 be Do or Die?

Do,

I hope so,

for the little (relatively low cost) of 2 x world championships per year, company prestige and for all of us Honda fans. I would imagine Repsol money is keeping the team going and let's face it, they only really need one world champion.

I fear this may not be the case though (history is repeating itself :0( and Honda is getting back into F1) ironically, the 4RT is quite popular where I ride, I know of 7 being bought in the last couple of months and good used ones are like rocking horse s**t.

I agree. We need all the 4 stroke manufacturers we can get.

Where did you hear about Honda back into F1? :icon_salut:

I agree about 4rt's becoming harder to get hold of. I was after a 07 or 08 one but couldn't find a decent one. Ended up buying a clean 05. They seem to be holding their money well again. A year or so ago there seemed to be lots available at low prices but seems to have changed again now. Rode mine for the first time yesterday after 6 months away from trials and really enjoyed it. Completely different to the Evo I sold in the summer, and no doubt not as competitive (but for my level of riding, poor) I am no real disadvantage), and I think I had more fun riding the 4rt than I would have on the Evo. Or maybe just the fact that I hadn't ridden for a while.

Sorry slightly off topic, but back to the point. I can see Honda pulling out in the near future. Although trials is probably a cheap world title for them, does the exposure it brings justify the investment?

I sincerely hope Honda don't pull out of Trials, but with the current climate, I wouldn't be surprised. If they did, it would be sad for spectators and the buyers of Montesa/Honda. I personally would prefer if they just marketed the bikes as Honda's, I know there is great history with Montesa, but Honda have there own. I think, as long as they have a sponsor to pay for the Team, then they are likely to continue and maybe Alfredo Gomez was unlucky to find that the Teams Sponsors budget has been reduced to the extent, that he was the one to loose out. I think it was not good for Montesa, to let him down at this late time, after he had already turned other offers down. But its the difficult times we live in, at the moment. I would hope, he will some way find another team, that is prepared to back him in some way or other.

As for Honda/Montesa, I look forward to seeing the new 4RT in the not too distant future. ;o) :thumbup:

Edited by shedracer

I sincerely hope Honda don't pull out of Trials, but with the current climate, I wouldn't be surprised. If they did, it would be sad for spectators and the buyers of Montesa/Honda. I personally would prefer if they just marketed the bikes as Honda's, I know there is great history with Montesa, but Honda have there own. I think, as long as they have a sponsor to pay for the Team, then they are likely to continue and maybe Alfredo Gomez was unlucky to find that the Teams Sponsors budget has been reduced to the extent, that he was the one to loose out. I think it was not good for Montesa, to let him down at this late time, after he had already turned other offers down. But its the difficult times we live in, at the moment. I would hope, he will some way find another team, that is prepared to back him in some way or other.

As for Honda/Montesa, I look forward to seeing the new 4RT in the not too distant future. ;o) :thumbup:

Honda sells 40,000+ cars a month here in the states. I am sure most Euro countries could also see a surprising high number

I would bet Honda profits more from Bou's fans purchasing Car and Other Motorcycle Products rather than Trial Bike Sales. Next time your at an Indoor WR, just count the number of Honda products out in the parking lot.

Honda sells 40,000+ cars a month here in the states. I am sure most Euro countries could also see a surprising high number

I would bet Honda profits more from Bou's fans purchasing Car and Other Motorcycle Products rather than Trial Bike Sales. Next time your at an Indoor WR, just count the number of Honda products out in the parking lot.

True..................most of my power equipment is Honda

Enduro Bike

4WD SUV Car

Trials Bike

Strimmer

Hedgecutter

Lawnmowers

and because Honda don't make a Van................it's a Toyota

Guess I've fallen for one of the best engine & powered machine builders in the world

Edited by Johnnyboxer

• 1 month later...

The Montessori 4rt is the best built trials bike on the market, their sales decline compared to other makes (Not the economic situation) is there has been no devolpment to the standard bike, you. Oils ride. World round on a raga replica, you have not got a hope in hell of riding a 4rt in one, fans watch bou and want to buy a bike like his, bou's bike is nothing like a production 4rt I heard that his bike is lighter than a raga rep, as for his very special rear shock and all the other parts... And Not one being optional on a production bike is Hondas own downfall, the works team's bike are dressed like a production bike but I'm sure the most difficult thing is keeping them looking the same! I've had both the mont and raga rep, just annoyed at Honda/montesa for not making the production bike just an tad better in weight and power, would take a lot for them to do this, then the sales would certainly grow!!

The Montesa 4rt is the best built trials bike on the market, their sales decline compared to other makes (Not the economic situation) is there has been no devolpment to the standard bike! You can ride a World round on a raga replica, you have not got a hope in hell of riding a 4rt in one, fans watch bou and want to buy a bike like his, bou's bike is nothing like a production 4rt I heard that his bike is lighter than a raga rep, as for his very special rear shock and all the other parts... And Not one part being optional on a production bike is Hondas own downfall, the works team's bike are dressed like a production bike but I'm sure the most difficult thing for mint is keeping them looking the same! I've had both the mont and raga rep, just annoyed at Honda/montesa for not making the production bike just an tad better in weight and power, would not take a lot for them to do this, then the sales would certainly grow!! Mont listen to the people buying the bikes!!!

There is a strong rumor in Spain that Montesa-Honda still has 1,800 4RT (2004 model) stored for sale...

This can explain why there is not a new model since then, and also why Honda is gradually trying to quit trials. Bou is still the best Montesa