Illegal Riding In Lochaber

Andy

I've put this on the front page, but I'm going to put it here too....

A spokesperson for the Edinburgh and District Motor Club (the club) has released the following statement in response to recent events:

"It has recently been brought to our attention by the relevant authorities that they have detected the riding of motorcycles in prohibited areas, including areas that are designated Sites of Specific Scientific Interest (SSSIs) and specifically in the Glen Nevis and Leven Valley areas.

"In no way is there any suggestion that this unacceptable activity relates directly to the forthcoming Scottish Six Days Trial (SSDT). However the Edinburgh and District Motor Club, as a responsible body and as an event organiser that completely relies on the kind permission of numerous landowners and authorities, can in no way condone the actions of a minority of riders who are putting future land use and potentially the SSDT at risk.

"In order to help all riders identify which areas of land this relates to, we have included some useful information on our website - www.ssdt.org. We would also like to make it known that any riders who are found to have been riding in these protected areas, and are due to take part in the SSDT will be dealt with accordingly, with the club ultimately reserving the right to exclude any rider from the event.

"The SSDT has had a positive impact on the local area for the last century and this is something the club is committed to continuing via its many competitors who strictly adhere to land use restrictions under which the event has been run for the last one hundred years."

In addition to this statement the club would also like to bring to the attention of all riders important information as recently provided to them by the Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH).

The SNH issue consent to the club on the basis that the level of activity created by the SSDT each year is sustainable for the habitats for which the sites are designated. Additional activity is likely to lead to an unsustainable level of use, especially when this is spread throughout the year as it prevents habitats recovering.

Unconsented activity leaves the landowner or the person undertaking the activity open to prosecution for damage. This is a criminal offence under the Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act 2004 (as amended) and carries financial penalties of up to £40,000. Use of a vehicle except on a dedicated, built vehicle track would constitute an operation requiring consent on any of the local designated sites with habitat features.

Vehicular access to private land also requires the permission of the landowner. Any motorised activity without landowner's permission constitutes an offence (trespass) and is not permitted under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003.

To conclude, the Edinburgh and District Motor Club would like to once again express its sincere gratitude to all the landowners and authorities, including Scottish Natural Heritage, who continue to make the SSDT possible each year. This in turn allows competitors from all over the world to continue ride amongst what remains widely regarded as some of the best trials terrain on the planet.

Unfortunately this is a very tricky situation in an extremely sensitive area of Scotland. There is a local affiliated SACU club (Lochaber & District) who organise events regularly in that area of Scotland. It should be noted that the club act in a responsible manner at all times. Many times I have been in direct discussion with the club at Clerk of Course seminars acting in my capacity as Chairman SACU Trials. They also have to abide by the bye-laws stated above and they are aware of the situations indicated by SNH with particular attention to SSSI areas which they are charged to manage as part of their remit to protect Scottish Nature.

The Lochaber Motor Cycle Club have the required permissions to run SACU permitted events throughout the year from a variety of landowners and factors and have to provide various risk assessments etc to those organisations before they can promote their local events.

It would appear that SNH have picked up on certain unauthorised motorcycle usage by "unidentified persons" in their area of operations which not only could jeopardise the SSDT but also local events.

The problem is that affiliated legitimate clubs are identifiable bodies, sadly illegal riders are not.

My message is this, if you are not at a legitimate permitted event, then stay away from these sensitive areas.

John Moffat

SACU Director

Chairman SACU Trials Committee

only one way to deal with this and sadly it involves been a bit of a pain. If SNH have identified 'unauthorised useage' 'detected riding in prohibited areas' then they need to be asked ofr the specific details of each incident once the clubs sacu have that detail they can then take positive actions to identify the persons invoilved and late the law take its course.

as long as clubs/ riders groups keep responding as have edinburgh to 'reports of' then absolutely nothing will change,as the individuals involved are not responsible people like you or me.

• Like 1

only one way to deal with this and sadly it involves been a bit of a pain. If SNH have identified 'unauthorised useage' 'detected riding in prohibited areas' then they need to be asked ofr the specific details of each incident once the clubs sacu have that detail they can then take positive actions to identify the persons invoilved and late the law take its course.

as long as clubs/ riders groups keep responding as have edinburgh to 'reports of' then absolutely nothing will change,as the individuals involved are not responsible people like you or me.

Agreed sadly we all knew at some point this would come to a head. What is required is photographic evidence, tyre tracks are no good, of the individuals riding and preferably details or photos of their vehicles then i am sure the responsable members of this forum will be more than ready to help provide the police with details so they can prosecute the irrisponsable riders who threaten our sport and let the full weight of the law prevail. Also as has been suggested a list of names of these idiots should be circulated and a life time ban on them entering any form of motor cycle sport imposed by the governing bodies.

Incidentally i wish this was also applied nationally as illegal riding is loosing so much land to bona fide clubs that soon it may be illegal "practising" that kills off our sport as we know it. We all have the responsability to name and shame any acts of illegal trespass because trespass is what it is.

It's all very well putting the onus on the local club, but the area concerned, given its acreage its impossible to "police". However, the evidence is there - tyre tracks, could be anybody!

Last year at the SSDT I caught (in front of several well known witnesses) two spectators riding a couple of year old Betas, who were following the trial over Pap Of Glencoe. I challenged them as they returned to the main road, the first rider was amiable/OK, his mate was quite abusively verbal! I warned them that I would report them to the ACU if they did not cease following the trial round on bikes. Interestingly, they didn't ask who the ACU were or what a registration card was - their bikes were well prepared and these seasoned competitors, not just "casual" riders.

I reported the incident to the SSDT Clerk of Course within 30 minutes of the occurrence, the supplying dealer of the machines (a highly reputable Beta dealer I may add). Both of which were powerless to do anything about the two offenders. Eventually I felt it necessary to report the matter to the local Police who were on duty.

However, they do have a novel way in the hills near Madrid, Spain of stamping out illegal riding and practicing - they chase you with a two-manned helicopter and the Police are armed - fact!

Big John

Edited by Big John

It's all very well putting the onus on the local club, but the area concerned, given its acreage its impossible to "police". However, the evidence is there - tyre tracks, could be anybody!

However, they do have a novel way in the hills near Madrid, Spain of stamping out illegal riding and practicing - they chase you with a two-manned helicopter and the Police are armed - fact!

Big John

Works for me !!! You fine folks have kept the SSDT running thru all the B.S. of the last hundred years (depressions , world wars , extreme greenies , etc. etc.) Would it be possible to place a motion detecting camera or 2 in the areas of concern ? I couldn't handle my bucket list prime item taken away by a moron ...

Glenn

Agreed sadly we all knew at some point this would come to a head. What is required is photographic evidence, tyre tracks are no good, of the individuals riding and preferably details or photos of their vehicles then i am sure the responsable members of this forum will be more than ready to help provide the police with details so they can prosecute the irrisponsable riders who threaten our sport and let the full weight of the law prevail. Also as has been suggested a list of names of these idiots should be circulated and a life time ban on them entering any form of motor cycle sport imposed by the governing bodies.

Incidentally i wish this was also applied nationally as illegal riding is loosing so much land to bona fide clubs that soon it may be illegal "practising" that kills off our sport as we know it. We all have the responsability to name and shame any acts of illegal trespass because trespass is what it is.

Stroll on chap, you're going a bit over the top there are you not. Next you'll be wanting them shot.

I'm with you all in regards protecting what you have, but this attitude of "grassing up folk" with cameras etc really is a bit over the top, there is enough namby pamby do gooders out there as it is looking to shop anyone and everyone for the slightest thing nowadays, it's about time folk started minding their own business.

All of which is entirely my own opinion I may add.

Edited by 2plus10

regretably the notion of 'evidence' differs and without dates times places a history cannot be built without that history finding the culprits and then holding them to account is impossible other than relying purely on chance. frustration upon frustration Big john witnesses two folk with thier pants down and niether the bike supplier or the clerk of course can/ will take further action when surely a public declaration of thier names would have resulted in a little peer presure at least..

• Like 1

Is there not police who ride trials bikes....even enter a team in the SSDT....who quite posibbly could be given special permission to patrol some of these areas at said times riding said trials bikes....without looking like police???? Just sayin

Is this just the usual "cry wolf" before the Scottish or do you really want identities of "unauthorised" people riding trials bikes in SSDT territory around Kinlochleven?. Could be some red faces there!. And personal numbers on vehicles are not difficult to identify!.

I know of 9 trials bikes out in this area today, none with any connection to the organisation of Pre-65 or SSDT.

Edited by bulltaco

What about those "automatic " cameras? The ones that take a pic when a ligh beam is broken and used by wild life fundis?

Good idea but you would still need someone to identify them. There seems to be some on this forum who think that is wrong and by their attitude obviously condone illegal riding and trespass. The is also a contingent who dont give a toss about organised competition so see nothing wrong in it because they wouldnt care if clubs were denied access as long as they can continue to act irresponsably and be an annoyance giving the rest of us an even worse profile than we have already.

Simple if you know of people riding illegaly or practising for the upcoming 2 and 6 day the name and shame. Doesnt matter who it is they should know better. Sorry no sympathy for any illegal riding we have lost the use of too much land here in Derbyshire due to the stuff you antics of a few twats. Sieze the bikes and crush em just like the police do with other illegal riders.

• Like 1