Impact Wrench

keychange

I was trying to remove a flywheel on my TLR the other day and I could not get it to budge - even with a 2 foot extension. I took it to local workshop and the old guy ie: 8 years older than me - stuck an impact wrench on it with just his hand holding the flywheel and off it came. My immediate reaction was " I have to have one " ... what are people's thoughts on this ie: will I get use out of this?

Cheers

Andrew

Ive got a 50 litre compressor and an impact wrench with a total new cost of about £225. I couldnt live without one now either. All the different air tools are so cheap as well , thanks to China. If your not using tools everyday, you dont need snap on. or posh makes. The cheaper ones do the job just as well , they just dont last as long under constant use.

Looking at a cheap kit includes impact, ratchet and die grinder ..... the ratchet driver would be ok for tightening most bolts without buggering things wouldn't it?

yes it would be better as you can feel how tight it is but be careful as it can turn your hand back and trap it if in a constricted space and once trapped it may not be possible to release the trigger ,may only happen if you have a powerful ratchet with good air pressure volume but you get used to them ,,impact hex sockets should be used hex to prevent slipping and impact (black ) to prevent chrome splinting off , an impact gun is excellent for undoing nuts on items that can turn ie front sprocket flywheel clutch hub crankshaft drive sprocket as you dont need to hold the item solid for it to undo

Looking at a cheap kit includes impact, ratchet and die grinder ..... the ratchet driver would be ok for tightening most bolts without buggering things wouldn't it?

Mark the position of the nut when tight and use this as reference. Crude but works.

Mark the position of the nut when tight and use this as reference. Crude but works.

Not so easy when you have split the cases and you have 5 lasagne trays full of parts. .... disposable aluminium lasagne trays are great temporary parts storage ..but 5 take up a lot of bench space :blush:

Edited by keychange

Impact socket - Is that to avoid over-tightening? Is over-tightening an issue with these things?

Yes, impact driver are good for getting loose single bolts, but don't use them where you have to thighten or loosing a group of bolts or nuts that hold the cylinderhead or sidecover or any other "extensive" component where the bolts has to be thightend to a special amount.

Very important while thghtening these fasteners is to thighten or take them loose in steps of around 3 - 5 Nm and then in the given order too, otherwise it is possible to tear off the bolt while using the wrong torque during thightening, or bending the cylinder head, ... any other planar mounted "extensive" component while thigthen or loosing the fasteners.