Making Our Sport More Popular?

rij

I think the problem is people dont know enough about the sport. When speakin to people and they ask what hobby i have they look blank faced so i describe to them and then they begin to understand. What the sport needs i think is more public advertisement. All these kids on pushbike trials get them because they see older kids on them at the local park doing tricks etc and want to have a go. Also there are plenty of shows about where pushbike trials riders set up demos in town centres etc to show what they can do. All this is putting pushbike trials in the public eye. I think that this is what needs to be done for trials motorbiking aswell. The show that was on lately in a town centre (cant remember which mind) was good to get publicity but it needs doing more often. Im sure there are many events etc where a trials demonstration can be put on to show others what its all about. I dont think just having trials on is going to invite newcomers to the sport as most dont know there on and around our area most of the spectators are the same people you see week in week out.

In fact the clubs do right the opposite,they dont want people there,they want to keep the sport for themselves,i to have the same problem as you,when i work on the bikes i get people coming up and saying ....what a funny looking bike it has no seat,so i tell them its a trial bike its not supposed to have a seat you are meant to stand up,they look confused so i explain what trials is all about but they still look confused then i ask them do you remember the TV programme in the 80s called Kickstart where the bike rode over the car,yes comes the reply they remember that because it was televised and it was something out of the ordinary.

Simple,keep trials as spectacular as possible,get more youth involved because they are the future of trials and because they are the ones that are going to be able to run at the front and forget no stop,mind you having said that i have just seen a clip of cabestany riding no stop and have to say its not as boring as i first thought but definately not as exciting as stop allowed and he fived the section every time.

Is this the video you refer to? Unless the stop gate is just before the final big rock at the top of the hill, I too believe he 5's the section every time when he stops on the rear wheel. Or is he not stopping because he is hopping? or moving forward a mm everytime he hops?

http://www.photobysergio.fr/cabestany-non-stop.html

From what I have seen here in the States is that trials attracts 2 different sets of people. The older riders from Motocross and Enduro that are tired of crashing and getting hurt at high speed and the young kids that want to do the "trick riding" hopping and HUGE obstacles. (And then there is me...... grew up in the sport and love it. I try to do hoppy stuff and love the evolution of the sport to more balance and control, but still appreciate the choose a line and ride it, keep moving and adjust on the fly riding of yesteryear)

I try to explain to as many people that will listen what the sport is all about and most average person just doesn't get it. We who ride the sport or grew up with it will see the minor nuances from rider to rider in something as simple as a turn before an obstacle and we will know which of the two riders will have made the obstacle harder by messing up in the first 1/4 of the turn. But like my wife says "they all look the same to me" MotoX, Enduro, road racing average person will understand these because it is he who goes fastest wins and they can always tell at any point in the race who is winning. With Trials nobody knows until the end who has won unless you go around to every section with your own score card and record everybodies score and keep track of what is happening. Personally I don't think demos do much to promote the sport of trials. Look at it this way. Watch a trials demo pretending you know nothing about the sport of trials. OK look at the cool "tricks" that can be done on a motorcycle, I have seen trick riding with BMX and Freestyle MotoX. Those competitions look like the demo and are scored on some arbritrary system of "style" and "difficulty". Then talk to somebody about trials and now they are telling you about dabs and points, sections, ribbons, markers and failures. There is a loop and number of section attempts....this sounds nothing like the demo I just witnessed, this sounds complicated and stupid. I will get on my MotoX bike and go fast in the trails or roost some guy on the track.

Is this the video you refer to? Unless the stop gate is just before the final big rock at the top of the hill, I too believe he 5's the section every time when he stops on the rear wheel. Or is he not stopping because he is hopping? or moving forward a mm everytime he hops?

http://www.photobyse...y-non-stop.html

Yea thats the one,thats the trouble with no stop there is to many ifs & buts "did he stop or did he not"

I think there needs to be more public events + sponsored riders who for the more streety/urban kind of riding making it popular, such as Julien Dupont. With more people doing spectaculars and getting themselves noticed, I think more people will get interested. It needs RedBull etc to publicise the sport a bit more, not just MX as it currently does.

They've kind of headed that way with such investment in Danny Mac, and I think if they did the same for a moto rider, the sport would come on leaps and bounds.

Maybe a little more publicity on motorshows for trials also?

You know it's amazing how many people ignore the kids on OSET's and Mecatechno's. That area where the bikes are reasonably priced and even Single Mum's can get there kids out has grown a lot over the last five years. The Stick in the Muds who only look at Adult riders have to remember who are the next generation. The main makers of bikes ignore those kids at their peril. For years they only supplied what are to be honest pretty crappy and under developed Autos. When Beta actually produced the REV50 we suddenly had a replacement for the TY80! We joined up at the time and I had hell on to find a bike for my lad to actually compete on and then there they were!!! The Kids could not ride Trials because many clubs ignore them. At the time Yorkshire Centre clubs were trying hard to get more Small Wheelers and they still do. It's a shame many of the "old stagers" on here still don't seem to have any idea about them.

Oset's are definitley the way to go when attracting the next generation, I've only been riding myself a few months and in that time the only people that I meet when out riding are other riders that already know all about trials etc & not really anyone that might be interested in taking up the sport, however every single time ive taken my lad over the park on his oset there are always other kids & parents interested in it and have questions to ask, a few have even said they will look into it at xmas etc etc

They all look a bit shocked when they ask the price though so I'm not expecting a park full of Oset's on boxing day :madnoel:

I think there needs to be more public events + sponsored riders who for the more streety/urban kind of riding making it popular, such as Julien Dupont. With more people doing spectaculars and getting themselves noticed, I think more people will get interested. It needs RedBull etc to publicise the sport a bit more, not just MX as it currently does.

They've kind of headed that way with such investment in Danny Mac, and I think if they did the same for a moto rider, the sport would come on leaps and bounds.

Maybe a little more publicity on motorshows for trials also?

Red Bull funded DuPont to ride over the Millenium bridge on the Tyne, I didnt know it was on but it made the front page of the local paper. Some people at work asked if that was the kind of bike I had but nobody asked where to buy one. should have been a kids demo alongside it, ideal opportunity missed.

Wow lots of response to this! brill

some of my local clubs do kids routes which is brill, other clubs don't

So I suppose it down to all of us to do our bit to keep our sport alive and getting stronger

Dealers to promote our sport in anyway they can so they sell more bikes/parts and fingers crossed bringing the cost of bikes down a bit for the fortunate few who can afford a £4500ish bike??

Acu to actively get it out there that it is relatively cheap to do an event compared to other motor sports as this will bring them more cash in.

clubs to push it as well in anyway they can.

And us riders who love the sport to get and tell as many friends family colleagues to get off facebook & twatter and do something with their lives!

I'd just like to add that its not just the big fancy pants stuff the pro's can do that will get people into it,

but seeing normal riders doing what they do hopefully might make kids/adults think they could do better and come and have a go!

Have i forgotten anything??

Edited by rij

10-15 yrs ago when i was riding youth trials my parents where youth secretary and clerk of course etc for my local club, we used to get as many if not more riders at youth only events than adult trials, kids from all over used to come....as did dabill and browny, the east yorks centre clubs used to run loads of youth only trials and nationals which sadly seems to have stopped. as such we only seem to have a select few kids riding trials in the area, certainly nothing like the numbers 10years ago which makes you question the future of the sport.

i beleive the sport needs to be advertised and shown on tv as with MX etc and more effort should be put into bringing youth trials back to the top of the list.

• Like 1

The clubs where I am don't like to advertise trials, "so as not to attract the wrong sort", I've been told in the past!

By that, I can only imagine it means:

Pikeys that will follow you home to have your bike/van away?

ASBO types that will ride illegally on land/roads?

So no advertising=no new followers. Nobody knows what trials bikes do or what trials are (unless you are old enough to remember 'Kickstart'), as it hasn't been promoted since the said program (with the exception of Dougie Lampkin making some appearances on Ant/Dec type programmes).

As far as the 'risks' of the unsavoury sorts....well they're out there already, and we take those risks already.

So, how do we make the sport more popular? Well 'we' as riders don't, as we already represent those that have bought into it, and struggle to find the events or places to ride. How about those that already make money out of the sport do some investment..... Cue the Manufacturers/Importers/ACU. Have these bodies approached TV producers in order to re-kindle 'kickstart'?

Reading with interest. Promoting bikes is a difficult one to those that drive cars. How many drivers on the road can't change a wheel or check there oil or fluids?

When I tell friends and colleagues about my bike riding they all say they'd like to try it. I've even got spare bikes to lend em. 2 friends tried it, just at some practice ground. They fell off and promptly got banned by there lady folk for hanging round with me and motorcycles. They didn't even get hurt.

I'd like to see the clubs advertise an event a bit more widespread. Local papers an such. Reach a new audience.

Dave 'Tubby'

• Like 1

Reading with interest. Promoting bikes is a difficult one to those that drive cars. How many drivers on the road can't change a wheel or check there oil or fluids?

When I tell friends and colleagues about my bike riding they all say they'd like to try it. I've even got spare bikes to lend em. 2 friends tried it, just at some practice ground. They fell off and promptly got banned by there lady folk for hanging round with me and motorcycles. They didn't even get hurt.

I'd like to see the clubs advertise an event a bit more widespread. Local papers an such. Reach a new audience.

Dave 'Tubby'

Dave 'Tubby'

Dave 'Tubby'