Handlebar Grips

348mate

I have to say the best ever method for fitting or removing grips is the compressor, i tried it for the first time last month and we just fell about laughing after the grip fitted itself after less than a second!

This is the best workshop trick i have ever seen ;)

• 3 years later...

I'm struggling to get a grip to stick to the bars of my ktm, hence the resurrection of this old topic. i've tried brake cleaner, hairspray (not mine) petrol and no success. I wonder if the grip has become impregnated with something.

I'm struggling to get a grip to stick to the bars of my ktm, hence the resurrection of this old topic. i've tried brake cleaner, hairspray (not mine) petrol and no success. I wonder if the grip has become impregnated with something.

I use the Renthal grip glue and safety wire on all my grips with good results. Some grip glues, like Honda, will split the Renthal soft grips due to the solvents in them, but the Renthal has always worked. The trick, especially for the throttle side (the thin grip) is to apply the glue and then spray a light coating of alcohol and then slide them on quick. I always had the glue set too fast and the grip would stick halfway on, but the alcohol allows the grip to slide easily and quickly dries.

Jon

Lots of opinions here, one question comes to mind as I have seen some bars may not have the knurling on the end and may provide better contact area than those that do.

I think this may well make a difference in exactly what you need to use to fill those voids, disallow water entry and such.

I have tried a number of methods, none perfect. Yet?

Has anyone tried tire patch adhesive? It bonds with the rubber product very well, stays runny(when fresh) till it airs off, think it will fill some voids! :D

Lots of opinions here, one question comes to mind as I have seen some bars may not have the knurling on the end and may provide better contact area than those that do.

I think this may well make a difference in exactly what you need to use to fill those voids, disallow water entry and such.

I have tried a number of methods, none perfect. Yet?

Has anyone tried tire patch adhesive? It bonds with the rubber product very well, stays runny(when fresh) till it airs off, think it will fill some voids! :D

I'd be careful of the solvent properties of tire patch adhesive on the soft grips. Just to throw another variable in, during my flat track days (Copey should remember this, he's almost my age....;)) we used "mechanic's tape", which was a black, cloth tape with adhesive on both sides and was popular before the electrican's tape was available. We would wrap the bar with it and use a little solvent on it and slide the grips on.

Hmmmm, come to think about, the buggers still came off at the worst times....

It's hard to beat Renthal glue and safety wire, three strands, one in the center, one about 1/2" from the end and one at the front. Never had a grip come of with that proceedure on any of the MX, roadrace, drag, hillclimb or Trials bikes.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Typical. Bought a new set of grips and ordered a pair of the special wire plier things, but thought I would give it one last go.

Cleaned out the grip and the bars. Wrapped some duct tape around them and put on the grip using brake cleaner. Left it overnight and low and behold, firmly stuck down.

I suppose I've a spare set of grips.