Mike Rapley On Trials No-Shows

Andy

This is up on the front page, but for those who don't venture out of these forums, it's worth a repost here...

post-20-0-18687000-1428563252_thumb.png

Goodness knows when I last wrote a column for Trials Central, but whenever it was, it’s time I wrote another – especially as I have a subject that is currently of concern to me as an enthusiast for the sport as well as an organiser.

I’m talking about the huge number of riders who have entered a trial in advance but then fail to turn up on the day. In case you think this is of minor importance, let me just give you a few facts.

At the Jack Wood S3 Championship Trial on March 29, of the 156 riders entered there were 29 non-starters. At the Powys Trial a week later, also a round of the S3 Championship, of the 73 entries, 17 failed to take part and then on the following day at the Lomax also an S3 round, there was an entry of 120 – the maximum the club were prepared to accept – and a massive 34 preferred to stay at home.

You could argue that the only losers are the riders; they have paid their entry fee and the club have received the money and with no organising costs to pay for those who have failed to take part, the club has the full entry fee added to their coffers.

But I consider the problem to be one greater than simply not turning up and effectively giving the club a private donation, as in some respects these non-starters are depriving others of a ride they may have wanted.

Take for example the Lomax. The organising Llangollen Club put a maximum entry of 120 riders on their trial, as the length of their course means they couldn’t take any more and as a result the entry was filled. However, with 34 non-starters one could argue that they should have accepted 150 in the hope that 120 actually started. But that’s a risky business if more turned up than they could handle.

I’m pretty sure that once upon a time there was an ACU ruling which said that non-starters should always provide the club with a valid reason and if they didn’t then they would be reported to the sport’s governing body. However, as far as I can see that regulation no longer exists – though if it does I’m happy to be corrected – so there is simply no incentive for a rider to take part – except for the loss of his entry fee.

One of the apparent reasons for riders declining to ride is that when they receive their riding numbers, if they are an early number and the trial is known to be slippery early on, then to many it seems not worth the effort to attend, knowing that there’s a good chance his result could well be worse than he expects.

So, is there an answer? I was ACU Steward at both the Powys and Lomax and between the two trials I stayed with my good friend and well-known former enduro rider, Geraint Jones, and he came up with what I think is a good solution.

He told me that when he sends animals to market (he’s a farmer as if you didn’t know), he is allocated a lot number for the sale and no matter his lot number he needs to be at the sale from the start because the auctioneers frequently start the sale at a middle order number, perhaps sell 50 lots then revert to another lot number, so there’s no way the seller can know when his lot comes up. Sale prices vary during the course of the day – early sales may achieve a higher value than later sales and vice versa – so it’s fair for all; no matter what the lot number, you take your chance along with everybody else.

Move that analogy to trials and I suggest all entrants receive a riding number in advance and the starting order is balloted on the morning of the event, then, no matter your riding number you take your chance along with everybody else as to whether you get an early start time or a later one.

Snags? Of course there are, but I reckon they could be easily sorted. Riders who want to ride together get both their riding numbers balloted at the same time so they can be together. The only real problem I see is that everybody needs to be at the start by the time the first man is due to leave.

So there you have it, a new column and with the Scottish soon upon us, no doubt I will again have something to write about in the near future.

New starting ideas are trivial. Id be very surprised that a good percentage of no-shows is due to their starting number. Most people genuinely do have a reason for not showing up, especially when entries are required so far in advance, they go hand in hand. Either enter on the day and be prepared for a high number or require entry in advance and be prepared for no-shows.

Edited by faussy

Having ridden both trials this year on the clubman route and enjoyed some of the best trials riding , scenery, weather and organisation for a long time I can only feel sorry for those that could not genuinely attend and also for those unable to ride Monday due to entry being full by people not being able to attend. Maybe some of Mondays DNS fell foul to Sunday route.

As a rider and organiser I can see both sides of the argument but I think the mix everybody in the same pot ignores or even belittles one important point - get yourself organised. I know the Powys trial well and made sure my entry was in ASAP, "simples". This must help the organiser as the sooner entries are in the better prepared they can be. I notice Dan Thorpe was at the back both days - don't think that was coincidence. Calendars are out at the start of the year so people should know what they want to ride and get themselves sorted.

However if they suddenly find that they have a free weekend then just ride at the front and enjoy it (I have done at the Powys in the past), they are still cracking trials. Are people that vain that they genuinely pull out because the streams might be a bit slippery and their results might look bad. Even if at the front they are not impossible or dangerous and the fact they are entering late probably means they are not chasing championship. I see on Llangollen's web site that they went to the effort to scrub all section in advance!.

Anyway - I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend and thank both clubs for the efforts. The organisation at the Lomax was especially noteworthy with people marshalling on gates, road junctions etc and what a pleasure for motorbikes to take over an entire village with welcome arms.

I also agree, as someone who had there entry returned at the jack wood to find that 29 didn't start. Personally I think the s3 championship needs a mix up. The experts want harder and harder trials, so why not put them at the front when it's at its hardest. Then put the clubmen route at the back who are after a steady day out. Also as the clubmen route often provide 50%+ of the entry can we have a championship where the top 2 or 3 progress to the S3 champs or ride for no award the following year.

I managed to get a late ride at the jack wood but felt that the clubmen riders where there just to make the numbers up. The trial wouldn't be viable without clubmen riders

Quote: "I’m pretty sure that once upon a time there was an ACU ruling which said that non-starters should always provide the club with a valid reason and if they didn’t then they would be reported to the sport’s governing body. However, as far as I can see that regulation no longer exists – though if it does I’m happy to be corrected...."

For info, Mike, the ACU National Sporting Code says

7.20 Absentees

1. Unless it can be justified, the absence of any competitor who has entered a competition and is not present at the start shall be in breach of this Code.

7.21 Withdrawal of Entry

1. The Entrant/Rider may only withdraw the entry with the permission of the organiser.

However I'm not aware if this rule is still enforced in practice.

Slightly off-topic but I believe non-starters are a particular concern for organisers of grass track, moto cross and road race events where paying spectators may be attracted by the advertised appearance of certain riders and very disappointed (or feeling cheated of their ticket price) if those riders don't turn up.

Don't issue start numbers until they sign on at the event, then issue them as a lucky dip! So no one knows what number they will have until they start, have a cut off time for the entrants, then offer it to the reserve's (obviously before the main start time)

What about having a reserve list, and say to the main entrants you have until "x" time in the morning to sign on, (if your going to be late call us) then at least ones who want to ride may have the chance (unfortunately they would have to take their bike with them, but may not be guaranteed a ride if everyone does attend) but if they do, then it's free because the no-show has paid and lost his entrance fee.so worse case scenario you bring your bike and end up just watching a trial, best case you get to ride a trial for free!

Same Trials every year, complete waste of time riding an early number as you're only there to scrub the sections. Forget the riders being in the wrong, organisers take responsibility & mark an event out that suits #1 as well as #120

• Like 1

Just picking up on the tone of some of the comments.

I would like to say thanks to the organisers of all trials for the time and effort they put in for no reward and very little thanks,

if I have a good ride or a bad ride I look to myself not the organisers.

I do not think you can call or criticise events until you have organised them run them and had everybody say how great it

was.

Once again thank you to any organiser observer secretary that helps out at an event that I get the opportunity

to ride.

• Like 6

It's not difficult to do

yet again someone with unrealistic ideas about what the organisers should be doing for THEM ,scrubbing sections !!!! ,off road is getting where people like this think they are paying guests just like they are at Eurodisney .

yet again someone with unrealistic ideas about what the organisers should be doing for THEM ,scrubbing sections !!!! ,off road is getting where people like this think they are paying guests just like they are at Eurodisney .

Apart from the fact that I've been marking out for well over 30 years & hold a National C of C licence. I've spent a considerable amount of my time & money enabling others to enjoy a sport.