Raga-The Reality!

gizza5

Might take him a while to adapt ,great move for TRS to have the second best rider in the world to develop and prove it.Hes the only guy that can beat Toni,reckon he had offers from the completion too.Should fill the gap in the market left by Gas Gas and possibly indicates what future Gas Gas are facing.Good luck to him

I saw some video of him riding, looks quite adapted already. Offcoarse thats just freestyle riding, but looks good. And I think the bike is quite like the gas gas (compared to other possibilities).

(video is on facebook https://www.facebook.com/jordi.tarres.9085and https://m.facebook.com/adamraga67 )

Edited by crazybond700

This will give TRS a flying start, getting the bike straight up in the top of the pile at world level.

This will definitely sell bikes for them and kickstart the brand as a premium machine, If they can supply the bikes I think people will be confident enough to buy them.

A very wise investment for TRS!

• Like 2

Seems to me TRS would be a great fit... keep riding the GG until TRS has a bike ready seems like a win win situation. If TRS is developing a competitive bike why not invest in having the best man available ride it.

Haha - told you so :D ... maybe I should use my crystal ball to pick stocks instead of trials riders future.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Interesting guess but "a hell of a lot" is all relative. The bigger question might be does it pay for itself? All of the manufacturers have at least one rider. Are there any riders who are not associated with a manufacturers team? Probably not that many others investing in a world champion team except for sponsors who are helping to support the manufacturers teams. So as a manufacturer what is the value of having a rider in the world championship. Given the lack of awareness of the sport in the world what better way would there be to get your name out there. Could you afford not to have a team if you wanted to sell a competition motorcycle? 

Absolutely yes you can sell a trials motorcycle whilst having a team with poor results or not having a team at all. Yamaha mono, TYZ, Scorpa with Yam engine. All sold significant quantities of bikes

. Scorpa are the odd ones out as they still went bust.

Look at it this way , virtually every new trials factory enters the WTC, going back to the 70s nearly all of them go bust in the end.

How about as a manufacturer looking to get market exposure you bin the World Championship and concentrate on your customers.

You could supply bikes at massive discount to every top National championship contender and let their results speak for you, I am sure most people would relate to Dan Thorpes record of winning nationals which we can all aspire to rather than some 8' rock step in a World round that only Toni gets up !

I just do not understand the point of the World Series, it does not have anything to do with what all of us ride at the weekend.

Yamaha TY's were ridden as 'the' clubmen bike by masses of riders for a decade and they did not really figure in the WTC at all, I bet all of the factories would like their sales figures now.

• Like 3

Yep can't argue with that. We seem to be getting more and more TY's coming out of the woodwork here and riding our clubman level sections just as well as the guys riding new bikes. Maybe it would be a better investment to spend more money getting demo bikes into the hands of the masses than to build a one off special bike to compete against Toni when everyone knows that isn't the bike you can buy at the local shop. 

• Like 1

there is some point to your argument but every discipline has a top championship, it allows others to admire whats possible, some to aspire to whats possible, and give everyone the chance to ride at their highest level possible.

To take your argument to the extreme no one should compete we should all play in our own back yards?

The fact that the sport at the top level, also any sport for that matter, does not relate/seem impossible to the ordinary competitor doesnt mean we shouldnt have a World trials championship does it?

A showcase is important surely. I have a scrapbook of my heroes Mick Andrews, mart, Bernie and the like, and the tricks and things they did. Alot of older riders will remember mick andrews going over a VW Beetle sideways, did we all go out the next week and I'll do that?

The fact that the FIM have pulled the rug from the 125 championship and systematically slowly ruined the WTc seems to be as much of a problem as ever.

• Like 2

WTC has a poor turnout these days sadly,both riders and spectators.Its so different to what most riders can and want to do.Talking to my local riders shows that about 30% take any interest in the WTC and less than that have been to watch.Those that have seen it say it's largely a big step contest with a badly applied and variably executed scoring system.I last went at the last event at Hawkstone,which was brilliant,but it seems to have less appeal now .

Rather than a World Championship made up of tiny 15 rider trials why not have every country that is allocated a round choose a major trial from their existing calendar to give a true reflection of that countries particular sport.

I suppose in G.B. we could choose the Scott or the Scottish, although I realise not a true reflection of our sport because of the speed or endurance aspects, but hey it's a world championship so these guys should handle it !

So each chosen trial would only see an increase of 15 to 20 riders unless of course the WTC suddenly became more popular and heavens forbid your own national runners decided to start entering events in other countries ( Yes it used to happen, remember Butser in the 80's massive entry and an awesome event)

The WTC must be changed,it is currently a one or maybe two man show and if you look at video of the rounds not a lot of people go to watch so where is the contribution to the sport.

Just thinking about my previous comments above. Bultaco going bust was a spanish economic problem compounded by SWM Fantic etc producing better bikes. But Bultaco were world champions 75 -79 , Montesa 1980, SWM 81 (?), Fantic 85, 86,88.

In these years sales were much higher but world championship success didn't ensure the factories survived.

I think SWM was related to employee relations but not sure, Montesa were saved by Honda

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 1