Bike Racks And The Law

suzuki250

I’ve used a bike rack for quite a few years, without any problems (and I’ve done quite a few miles) on various cars and small vans

But I’ve now started to worry about the weight on the back and the law

I know there is a nose weight for vehicles but I was always under the impression that this was for the towing & stability of a trailer?

I’m currently using the wife’s Rover 25 which pulls the bike nicely but only has a nose weight of 70Kgs! (which is more than some big cars)

Used one on a Rover 25 1.6, Nissan Almeira. Mitsubishi Lancer Sport Estate, Chevrolet Cruze and currently a Volvo V60. No problems and on the last two cars it's been a removable towbar which the fitter has not had a problem with, and they know what I have it for.

I suspect that if it came down to the law being enforced, they would refer to the maximum nose weight on the type approval plate attached to the tow bar and stop there.

I have also carried bikes on the back of a variety of vehicles and it's never been a problem, but I don't think that would be a valid defense in court.

The tow bar is designed and tested to support a maximum vertical load (the nose weight)  and also to apply huge accelerating forces to a large trailer weight.

That large trailer weight isn't normally there when carrying a bike so neither the car nor the tow bar should be troubled, but I still think, in court, you'd struggle to prove you were not exceeding the rated load.

The concern I always had was that during hard cornering, particularly in an emergency situation, the torsional load on the towbar caused by a 70kg bike being flicked from side to side would never have been considered in the design, the torsional load applied by a normal trailer hitch on the ball would be minimal in comparison.

• Like 1

And if gii thinks it's a problem with a modern pogo stick kettle bike at 70kg, try a real British Pre 65 4 stroke !!

Stand clear.....

I don't think it's a practical problem, particularly.

The question was about the law and that's what I answered.

Modern ESP systems on cars help enormously when you get into 'a situation', I have experienced this with a bike on a rack on the back of a car and I was impressed, and grateful !  Some now have an even better 'trailer stability mode' activated when you plug in the lighting board.

I struggle pushing the Ariel up the ramp into the Landrover!

I would say bike racks are very popular and are used on everything from small cars that do look too small ! right up to the big 4x4 and even pickups as the loading height is lower and then you can sheet the bed for your gear.

Stick a pig iron Beamish on the back of A small Rover!!!!! I hope my Mrs and kids arn't driving around your area.

A trailer has a pivot point so the force on the rear of the car is not too great when you hit a bump. Imagine a 90kg bike over a bump at speed and imagine the force it will create for a split second if hung off the back on a rack!!

Edited by steve_earle