2016 Models Details Released

Andy

If you got a tape measure out and measured all modern trials bikes prob all the same

Yup, it's called "convergent evolution"...different factories, all working towards getting bikes up sections without losing marks. Sooner or later between them they've worked through all the options and found out what works and what doesn't..so they end up with a very similar product. Plus a lot of consumers are scared of anything too radical so they stay conservative.

Remember the 250 2 stroke Jap MXers? All the same except the colours, in many ways?

There are a number of questions of course. Did they have a problem with sales of the ST? Were costs too high? Given the rules did the rear tank hinder the bike? As others have said I do not think that Power would be a problem as most riders seemed to think it had too much in ST300 form anyway. Rather oddly we came across riders saying the bike was hard to ride who were winning their class. As it stands if they had gone to EFI this year My son would have been buying one. In this old fashioned form it's not really in the running.

Most of the development of the Trials Bike seems to have been in the Frame and looking at this one, besides the Obvious Scorpa link it also reminds me of the Ossa TR. Personally I think the engines are currently the weak link. They are very susceptible to atmospheric changes and vulnerable to water and dirt ingress where the "Advanced" Sherco and the Ossa had advantages due to higher placement of the Air intake.

I am told by some that the problem with the Sherco rear fuel tank design, apart from the possible weight distribution issue, was the very contorted air inlet path from filter to carb. OK crossing Scottish rivers might have been easier (anyone?) but I understand it restricted air flow due to having to make a 145 degree turn just before the carb inlet. Multiple air filter changes in design could support that theory.

I look forward to trying the bike.

I am told by some that the problem with the Sherco rear fuel tank design, apart from the possible weight distribution issue, was the very contorted air inlet path from filter to carb. OK crossing Scottish rivers might have been easier (anyone?) but I understand it restricted air flow due to having to make a 145 degree turn just before the carb inlet. Multiple air filter changes in design could support that theory.

I look forward to trying the bike.

+1. That was what I was told was the reason for the change. Plus the added complexity of needing a fuel lift pump to feed the carb..adding cost too? I wasn't at this year's SSDT but believe that there were problems for some with fuel tanks and pumps during the event? Gravity is cheap... Edited by heavydabber

Rode a scorpa 300 and 2015 std 300 sherco back to back in the summer. The scorpa blew the sherco into the weeds above quarter throttle. If anything id say the 300 sherco was fine for me in terms of power but the scorpa had too much.

For the majority of riders they have too much power so why they want even more is a mystery!

I guess 90% of sections in club trials will not benefit from extra bike power.