Top Rider Salaries

atomant

The problem is the money has to come from somewhere and in trials that is basically the manufacturers and the accessory suppliers involved with the sport, S3, Hebo, Jitsie etc. To the best of my knowledge these are pretty much trials only companies and as such rely on the sales of trials bikes. If you take into account the cost of producing a bike and then paying all your overheads I would imagine it would leave very little funding for a Factory team effort and factory rider salary. The size of the factory teams has been steadily declining since the 70's to the point where, Honda aside, they are all running only one rider, with Ossa and Jotagas not running a team at all. My guess is the top European sponsored riders get a reasonable salary and top it up with clothing, helmet, boot, oil sponsorship etc. For Honda to get Toni Bou all they have to do is top any other offers by whatever amount, which I don't think would be very hard for them.Reading the Retro Trials articles is eye opening as you soon realize that payment of riders has been an inherent problem for a long time. Trials cant realistically be compared to other sports as we don't have the market appeal,sales, or popularity of any popular sport and therefore don't generate the funds.

• Like 3

Honda montesa for the best part of the 4rt years have spent more on the team than profit from trials bike sales.

I stayed in the same hotel as Bou and Fuji in sweeden maybe 09, and the cost of that one trip alone must have been 15k.

Indeed

Like I said - cheap World Titles

• Like 1

Rossi alone is worth millions in merchandise only... no comparison with a trials rider.

Go to a WTC, you can just walk up to the riders and talk with them...

And that is one of the greatest things about our sport , We all do it for our passion for the ride , to challenge ourselves , Bou and his family most likely absorbed all the cost's when Bou was young for him to get to the level he's at now ... He now get's paid quite well to do what he loves to do .

Haven't you noticed he's almost always smiling (or grinning like a Cheshire Cat) when he competes ? I think he's one truly happy guy to the core...

And he obviously works very hard to stay where he is.   

• Like 1

That is a great point I posted a video on the video thread (life behind the bars) which I thought gave a good insight into the way Bou thinks. I know Steve felt I was behind the times but I feel it is relevant to this discussion. Maybe the question would be how much would you pay to be doing what Bou is doing maybe he has been independently wealthy all along and if just doing it for the pure fun of it - just joking but really I can't see anybody entering the sport for just the money. 

On a similar topic does FIM pay the teams or athletes for riding in their events in return for all the membership fees it gathers from the trials community around the globe? What sort of prize money is up for grabs at theses events?

That is a great point I posted a video on the video thread (life behind the bars) which I thought gave a good insight into the way Bou thinks. I know Steve felt I was behind the times but I feel it is relevant to this discussion. Maybe the question would be how much would you pay to be doing what Bou is doing maybe he has been independently wealthy all along and if just doing it for the pure fun of it - just joking but really I can't see anybody entering the sport for just the money. 

On a similar topic does FIM pay the teams or athletes for riding in their events in return for all the membership fees it gathers from the trials community around the globe? What sort of prize money is up for grabs at theses events?

You're serious?

The also rans have to fork out for an FIM licence , and pay entry fees for every wtc event, let alone minders and travelling expenses.

There is NO MONEY from the fim to riders.

Bou was sponsored from a very young age so his family hasnt paid like in the UK, plus the RFME has a good support system for young riders.

I do have to add ... Does it really matter to any of us what Bou gets paid ?????

Whatever it is he has earned it , He is the best , most consistant wining ,  modern trials rider there is , if not the best ever ...

I would still love to see him . Raga , Caby, and Mick , steve and a few others all show up at a event , all ride a twinshock bike , All the bikes the same , whether they be on tl125's or ossa's ,yamaha's or fantics ... And see how the points tally at the end. I would think all involved would have a blast  .... And the video would be a great teaching tool for all us mere mortals ....

Glenn :)

Back to nascar now .....

I do have to add ... Does it really matter to any of us what Bou gets paid ?????

Yes! Because as I mentioned earlier, if the top trials rider in the world can command that much money, then it would be worth investing in an upcoming youth rider if they showed enough promise to get to WTC champion. Bou isn't going to be around for ever is he ?

Honda montesa for the best part of the 4rt years have spent more on the team than profit from trials bike sales.

I stayed in the same hotel as Bou and Fuji in sweeden maybe 09, and the cost of that one trip alone must have been 15k.

Costs are not salary offcoarse but probably they do get a good treat.

Also about prize money from fim or so. Competitors need to pay to enter (I quess the top could have dispensation from this but would that be fare?) At least European events need to pay to enter, next to having a licence and such

Edited by crazybond700

Yes! Because as I mentioned earlier, if the top trials rider in the world can command that much money, then it would be worth investing in an upcoming youth rider if they showed enough promise to get to WTC champion. Bou isn't going to be around for ever is he ?

If you are manufacturer then yes , But supporting a rider with promise  ??? Sketchy investment... are you gonna take a % of his salary ? At least here in the states most sponsors of anything write off the expense on their  taxes as advertising expenses ... I don't know how it works in the rest of the world .

I for one know one young man that if allowed to quit his job and practice all the time , with funds , bikes , parts, minder and the rest could most likely be on the world stage if he had the mindset  ...

But that is the big IF? How much can you write off in the future to compensate for the initial investment ???

We are a small sport without much wiggle room....

Not trying to argue  here , but if you can ride that good in our sport , the manufacture will find you .... (I think....)

Glenn B)