Top Rider Salaries

atomant

I guess the distinction is that an absolutely top line trials rider may make a comfortable living while he's riding, but unlike many other sports this won't set him up for life after he retires, and he is likely to need to look for another source of income in his mid 30s. And there are very few opportunities to continue to get an income from trials related activity. Running trials training sessions? OK as a (very) part time job. Opening a bike shop? Limited opportunities for profit these days. Importing bikes? Ouch, several recent painful experiences in that area. Doesn't leave much...

We have almost two FTE working in a sort of ''school'', not focussed on trialriders, but on people who never experienced anything like it. Real training I dont believe to be profitable as full time job.

Also there are some riders who can earn a buck with shows. but thats also a ''now'' job and no future.

Maybe open a ranch and rent bikes with combination of aboves, like pasquet has.

Also the Spaniards are well known riders in there country, in other countries this is much less. Look at e.g. Dakar rider Coma who can start as manager/cordinatior in the race. A lot of racers in cars or motorbikes start on TV later, like commenting on sports events etc. There are a lot of possibilities, and like mentioned above, with the right motivation and effort they are capable of a lot with their fighting mentality.

Move towards enduro or extreme events, where probably more money is too be earned.

Maybe Raga will be flying air races?

We must also not forget how much time they spend with bikes (which they dont need to pay for) at training locations etc. For us our hobby costs money, for them everything is paid, and they dont do alot of other things for a decade than trial.

Edited by crazybond700

What they make as income and a happy life is not linked in many regards. Us "Mericans" know people who make money, are miserable and pose a good life with big things. This causes many Americans problems. Its causing other countries problems too when trying to follow this model. 

If they are smart they will bank and invest their money. They should create a bubble that will elevate them to the next level. IMHO Jordi has done that to the T. Sammy Miller has done that to the T. Mick Andrews has probably traveled the US and drank more beer and stayed with more people who have been happy to have a celeb in their house than most people I would ever get to shake hands with. 

Income comes with checks and balances. Happiness and accomplishment are those checks and ballances.... You can't put a price tag on. Put a price tag on not knowing your boundries. What will a Raga or Bou company bike look like. Pretty exiting when you think about it.

--Biff

• Like 2

Thanks for all the philosophy but can you answer this with just a straight answer somewhere in your post please :hyper: 

How much do you think Bou, Raga, Cabestany, Fujigas  get as a salary ? ( excluding bonuses and other things like sponsors etc) 

• Like 1

I would guess the likes of Douggie Lampkin and Bou must be worth a few million, I can't imagine the canny Yorkshire lads not being tough negotiators and if like other sportsmen&women these days probably have an agent to do the nessasary.

Well, I think the top earns a ''nice'' salary, but no big bucks. The avarage salary in Spain is around 20.000 (euros). I would think the top riders earn between 3 to 5 times that with their salary? And then they probably have some cherries on the pie here and there.

Maybe MX is easier to find info about, and they probably or most definatly earn a lot more because of the bigger importance (so no real comparison possible):

http://www.simplyhired.com/salaries-k-motorcross-jobs.html

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/you-asked-for-it-how-much-does-supercross-really-pay

http://www.ehow.com/info_12087448_average-salary-professional-motocross-riders.html

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/motorsports/offroad/stories/1331646699975/top-10-earners-sx-2014

Edited by crazybond700

How on earth would Bou make that?Honda aren't paying their WSBK riders 500k if they win the title,there is no way they'd pay that to win the WTC it makes no economic sense.

Trials is a relatively tiny market it's hard to see there being much more than half a dozen riders actually making any money from it,logically you put Bou at around 100k and work back sharply salary wise from there.The days of Spanish fag money are long gone,even Bou doesn't appear to be overflowing with corporate sponsors.

How on earth would Bou make that?Honda aren't paying their WSBK riders 500k if they win the title,there is no way they'd pay that to win the WTC it makes no economic sense.

Trials is a relatively tiny market it's hard to see there being much more than half a dozen riders actually making any money from it,logically you put Bou at around 100k and work back sharply salary wise from there.The days of Spanish fag money are long gone,even Bou doesn't appear to be overflowing with corporate sponsors.

You really think Bou would get just 100k for winning world championships for Honda?

Edited by atomant

I agree with the privacy issue, so no names, but I recall being told by someone who had seen the contract what a very good but just below the very top line rider was being paid in the Seventies. It equated to £186,000 at today's pound (according to a calculator on the web) with the cost of a new bike similarly equating to £4600.

I would guess that the same rider today would be on much less as in those days many more bikes were being sold and we are in a very different world now.

What Honda pay Bou will be valued differently to how a European manufacturer would do it, part!y due to deeper pockets and partly due to Honda having a much more complex corporate agenda. I wouldn't even hazard a guess but "economic sense" may not be of the highest priority.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

I'm sure Honda pay Bou a good bit more than 100k. He guarantees them world titles, and while the trials audience is a lot smaller than other motorsports, it's still worth a lot to them in terms of marketing.

I'm sure the guys riding for European manufacturers make a good bit less than what Honda is dishing out though.

I'm sure Honda pay Bou a good bit more than 100k. He guarantees them world titles, and while the trials audience is a lot smaller than other motorsports, it's still worth a lot to them in terms of marketing.

I'm sure the guys riding for European manufacturers make a good bit less than what Honda is dishing out though.

Marketing?Most people don't even know what a trials bike is let alone who Toni Bou is.

How many 600s did Honda sell off the back of MVDMs world title?A lot more than 4Rts get sold and for a lot more profit and he didn't get anywhere near 500k for the title.

I knew what a few riders got paid more or less in the mid 80's when sales were way above todays' market and anything above 150k tops today is inconceivable unless the Japanese like throwing money away which they don't.

Edited by tribet