Top Rider Salaries

atomant

Nowhere near 500k, there is a Honda lawnmower championship would that suggest they get paid a chunk out of the 64.9 billion, no, no no, trial is so small and most probably run for a year on less than Hondas f1 hospitality for one race

Of course you can guess like I can but what makes you so sure? Bou guarantees them World Championships and if you think about it, they cant buy that easily, unless they have Bou of course!

It doesn't matter how 'small' trials is, the sport has a world championship and they can have a world champion and with their available funds, they can pay him large sums to guarantee no one else could afford to entice him away. In fact, he could even be paid double that ! it's nothing to them but the marketing value is priceless so If he was paid 1 million it would still be good value.

You can't think about it in the way you and I see the sport of trials, this is much bigger than that for a company like Honda. IMHO :D 

Of course you can guess like I can but what makes you so sure? Bou guarantees them World Championships and if you think about it, they cant buy that easily, unless they have Bou of course!

It doesn't matter how 'small' trials is, the sport has a world championship and they can have a world champion and with their available funds, they can pay him large sums to guarantee no one else could afford to entice him away. In fact, he could even be paid double that ! it's nothing to them but the marketing value is priceless so If he was paid 1 million it would still be good value.

You can't think about it in the way you and I see the sport of trials, this is much bigger than that for a company like Honda. IMHO :D

So let me get this right youre saying bou gets paid a mill?

Why Atom?

Let's say another firm could afford to pay Bou €100k. HRC could get his services easily for €120k,

Why then would Honda needlessly pay an extra €880k?

If Bou didn't like this deal, to who else could he sell his services?

Depends on how he negotiated his deal and if Honda wanted to ensure his services without question, then they would pay it. As I said, it's what they get in return which is an almost guaranteed world title for their brand. The money is pocket change to them. It also protects anyone else with big money coming in that would think about taking him away.

I would say he is almost certainly earning 500K+ just from wages alone.. (also I am talking euros not sterling)

Edited by atomant

And we must remember , Trials is fairly big in Japan , so there is home market PR. too ...

Honda corp. is a smart co. , I'm sure they keep Mr Bou quite happy ... So all his focus is on his riding ,

Not worrying about bills and the mortgage , and who's taking care of his dogs , or cutting the grass .

Glenn :) 

Plus we have all missed what he could earn in other disciplines. So what does a motogp rider earn or mx / enduro rider ?

I think much much much more. My mom knows who rossi is, not Toni or adam.

I think trial riders have good opportunities in enduro/extreme. And this is what we also see happening to ''older'' riders. I think you can earn a lot more money with just one season of enduro in America e.g.

See my earlier posts Villipoto earns around 2.500.000 in win bonus (from ama and kawasaki), excluding salary!

But look at what money a circuit is earning, or tv rights etc etc.

Edited by crazybond700

The reason I raised this thread was firstly to get a view on what people think about how much the top guys earn because everyone I have spoken to say there is no money in trials ( and that simply isn't the case in some aspects)

and secondly, if you take someone like Wiggy who has won both youth and junior world titles, the next step to win the WTC title has proven to be a massive step. This is the case with every UK rider including Dibs. So if you imagine how much time & money has been invested in these riders from themselves, their parents and their sponsors to get that far, then how do we get them that extra step to get to the top where the big money is to get some of that money back?
For instance, if there was a company formed called wiggy ltd of which it could attract investors with a return on future income, if lets say world number 1 earnt a salary of 1 million Euros, then that would be quite a good potential investment should he get there. This is not my idea but I know in motorsport this has been done before. The money would be used for 100% rider development. 

Now it's probably too late for these batch of riders, but riders like Iwan Roberts who is young enough to displace Bou at some point could be in the frame for something like this. He already has a fundraiser page on facebook but here we are talking investment for a return ! something much more worth considering maybe?

Just a thought :)

Edited by atomant

Let's work it backwards

Hamilton as World F1 champion is worth about £32 million per season from Mercedes for the next 3 years

So take that back to Rossi who took a pay cut from $22million per season to return to Yamaha to say $15 million or £10 million

So Rossi is the highest paid bike racer @ possibly at least £10 million per season

So Toni Bou on £1 million per season for unopposed world championships for Honda is certainly possible

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 2

Rossi gets paid for his popularity with the crowds, a 80,000 crowd would be near on 50% in yellow 46, that is buying power for the sponsors.

Check out the rest of the pack, they are on £2mil at best.

Trials is a minority sport, you have to take that on board, with a tiny exposure to the public, just look at any video of world rounds there is hardly anyone there.

I seriously doubt the figures being bandied about by posters on this site, as a previous post says where else can Toni go ? pay him £20- £50 K more than the others and it's done. My guess would be nearer the £150 K plus his private sponsors.