New Bike... How Often?

heffergm

So for guys that ride a LOT... like 100+ hours a season; how often are you replacing the bike, either with something new or newer? I realize this is a little more complicated that just the bike, as there's budget to consider. But I'm still curious...

It's probably worth noting that I ride at an intermediate level. Which is to say there's a fair amount of crashing and banging into immovable objects involved. Obviously if you're riding at a level where this isn't the case, the bike's bound to last longer.

Edited by heffergm

I guess i would do over 150 hours a season. Had a 2010 gg for 2 years and a 2012 for 2 and a half years. 

Bike is good for 2 years for me no problem, after which you may need to start looking at rings and pistons, i think its worth changing.

Edited by faussy

as someone who has been riding for nearly 50 yearsand had many bikes in that time I would say,always have the newest bike you can afford, a new bike always seems to give better results,mostly psychological I believe but still noticable....wel thats my excuse!

Well my current main bike is mostly 65 years old and I dont seem to be very good at wearing it out even though its ridden most weekends and did an 80 mile road based trial a couple of weeks back.

My backup rat TY250 is only 37 years old and has just had a massive £150 freshen up.

Gas Gas would have gone bust a long time ago if they were counting on me to buy a new bike.

• Like 3

3 to 4 years for me - takes me a yearr to learn, a couple of good yaesr then a year to realise a need to dip into my pocket and change. I do ride Montesa so you can probably reduce this for less well bikes. Ride every weekend and clubman nationals etc

• Like 1

It depends on what you want to repair/replace. But most of the parts that wear also wear on a new bike... so better put some parts in to keep the older bike running imo! The last ten years the rides didnt become so much better, alteast for the most of the riders.

Edited by crazybond700

It depends on what you want to repair/replace. But most of the parts that wear also wear on a new bike... so better put some parts in to keep the older bike running imo! The last ten years the rides didnt become so much better, alteast for the most of the riders.

I actually think the opposite, why spend a lot of money on a old bike when that money could go towards a new bike.

Set of tyres, sprockets, chain, linkage bearings, fork seals all add up. Money spent on those things could be about a 1/4 of the way to a new bike.

I actually think the opposite, why spend a lot of money on a old bike when that money could go towards a new bike.

Set of tyres, sprockets, chain, linkage bearings, fork seals all add up. Money spent on those things could be about a 1/4 of the way to a new bike.

If I calculate it i think I am out better this way, offcoarse situations might differ.

Lets say second hand bike lets say 2000 euro, new front and rear tyre 150 euro, put on a new chainset, and most of the big items are done.

Things like brakepads, clutch, seals, wheelbearings etc will wear on a new bike aswell, so thats just calculated into the buying price. Offcoarse engine work you never know on a used bike, but the experience is that mostly things like the waterpump need work (which also happens on a new bike), and a lot of time can go in a bike (which is ''free'' for me). Things like repairing an exhaust etc are all done at home so no real costs involved there.

But I will probably not buy a new bike anytime soon. And I am lucky that I can get parts cheap probably.

The bike keeps about the same value, so I dont loose depreciation.

Edited by crazybond700

Think your paying to much for your parts !

Tyres - 120pounds/180 dollars

Sprockets and chain - 50/75

Linkage and shock bearings - 50/75

Brakepads - 40/60

Seals - 20/30

Wheel bearings - 20/30

All these things need changed after 1 or 2 years, thats 300 pound, 450 dollars that could be going towards a new bike. Tell me where im paying too much?

Edited by faussy