2015 Montesa Factory Rep.

gaz12349

I'm looking at getting a new bike next year. I'm currently riding a 2007 Sherco 290 which has served me pretty well so far. I've got a taste for the 2015 montesa factory rep but I've never ridden one so I'm not sure if moving from 2t to 4t is a good idea as I know the characteristics will be completely different. I keep hearing mixed things about the 4 stroke montesa, one being they're only any good for expert riders and it's pretty hard to progress your skills on one. I'd like to hear some of your opinions (serious please, no p*** takers)

Cheers,

Gaz

• Like 1

Our club has always had a lot of Montesa riders. Many have tried the bike and moved on to mainly Beta`s. We still have quite a few 4RT die hards. The bike is fun to ride, but it does take some getting used to. Try to get a long test ride.

• Like 2

I'm looking at getting a new bike next year. I'm currently riding a 2007 Sherco 290 which has served me pretty well so far. I've got a taste for the 2015 montesa factory rep but I've never ridden one so I'm not sure if moving from 2t to 4t is a good idea as I know the characteristics will be completely different. I keep hearing mixed things about the 4 stroke montesa, one being they're only any good for expert riders and it's pretty hard to progress your skills on one. I'd like to hear some of your opinions (serious please, no p*** takers)

Cheers,

Gaz

Quite the opposite if you ask me, good for everybody except expert riders. 260 4RT's don't have the light weight and instant power like 300cc two strokes.

They're just as fun to ride as a smoker, if you like four strokes, and there's only one way to find that out, go for a test ride.

And even then it takes a while to get used to them compared to a GasGas I had, which felt good from the first ride.

• Like 1

If you test ride one, you'll love it, then for the first 6 weeks or so you'll wish you had never seen it. Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder why you hadn't bought one years ago.

And the thing that sits in the corner of your garage with all the shiny stuff in it, won't get opened very much.

• Like 7

I've pressed the like button on all the comments above. John's comment's hit the mark really well.

If you test ride one, you'll love it, then for the first 6 weeks or so you'll wish you had never seen it. Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder why you hadn't bought one years ago.

And the thing that sits in the corner of your garage with all the shiny stuff in it, won't get opened very much.

Like john said you'll probably hate a 4rt to start with , especially this time of year

I thought I'd made a big mistake

But once you've got to grips with it you'll be fine

Doubt I'll go back to a 2 stroke now

Edited by toneh
  • Like 2

I'm looking at making the move next year myself , in all honestly how much different do the new 260s feel to the older bikes?? I've seen a few 2012/2013s for sale for reasonable money and I like the thought of the Showa suspension .Is it worth pushing the budget for a newer one ?

Go for the newer model supposed to be better than the early ones

That said I ride an 05 and came from a 300 raga and still prefer my old dinosaur 4rt

The biggest factor is the rider , what level are you , what are you looking to achieve

I'm not a great rider so the bike doesn't make much odds to my results

Edited by toneh

The standard 260 has brilliant quality suspension, Just as good as the Showa (unless youv'e got Bou's Showa). For a clubman rider it will do it all for you, It just floats over everything and is a joy to ride.

I love having a blast on Montesa's but they are not for me when it comes to the bigger, tricky or muddy stuff.

It would cost me a fortune to have one in the spec I want and I can't justify it when a 2 stroke at quarter of the price can do so much more.

Warning. A 4rt doesnot suit everyone and even after 6 months i couldnt get on with it.

It is a marmite bike.

It is that

I think most of it is borne out of frustration, when the rear end breaks traction and you can't find or regain any grip especially in snotty mud

You either paddle for a 3 or end up with a 5

I think the problem can be if you don't maintain enough momentum and revs, to 'power' the the bike through

Very different to a 2t, where you can go through with a whisper of throttle and then put the power down at will, with great ease

Plus if you do break traction, it's easier to clutch a 2t and burn your way through to some grip, one thing that a 4RT doesn't do

Your results will be worse initially and people dump the bike back for sale