Braktec Pad Retaining Clip!

jfc

Seems to have a tendency to cause the pads to drag slightly, and speaking to another rider they said that thay had removed it without any problems and the drag disappeared,.

On fitting new pads today I just left the clip out to see how it ran, the shape of the pad will not allow them to move from the correct position.

Seems to have a tendency to cause the pads to drag slightly, and speaking to another rider they said that thay had removed it without any problems and the drag disappeared,.

On fitting new pads today I just left the clip out to see how it ran, the shape of the pad will not allow them to move from the correct position.

That's interesting JFC. I have this same brake and it's been draggy at times and has driven me nuts. I could not for the life of me figure out why it dragged. Maybe I'll remove the clip and see if that helps. Please keep us updated.

Dan

After some searching around the internet it would appear as the post title states that it is just the brake pad RETAINING clip so its probably put in there for a bit of a laugh by BRAKTEK ...... those kids.

Thanks!

Interesting topic. Mine was dragging, thought it was just due to badly worn pads at an angle and the pistons sticking. New pads seemed to fix it but ill keep my eye on it. I agree though, as long as the disk is there its impossible for the pads to come out.

• 4 weeks later...

I bet, that when you will take the front wheel off, and the pads could then fall out of the caliper, I imagine...   I haven't tried it yet, that would be my only worry, and you will just have to put the pads back in and hold them, as those pads dont have the screw that holds the pads in place like rear brakes and older brakes, as far as I know.   But, that is all the spring is for, I think, keeping the pads in when the disc is not present. Time will probably tell if they can fall out when pads get too thin?

• 2 years later...

Revival of an old topic.

How did it turn out leaving the retainer out. I have a 2015 280 pro. I was trying to learn how to get the clip back in all the way correctly. But if I don't need it in there at all, I won't bother with it.

I couldn't get the clip back in on my '17 250 so left it out. That was several months ago and no issues. What people said about is probably correct, it's there to keep the pads from dropping out when removing the caliper.