Keeping A Bike In A Shed

monty_jon

I insulated my garage, even the door.  installed a furnace that runs off propane.  change the 100 pound propane tank every 3 weeks on average.

I keep the garage about 40 F (Bikes and tools stay moisture free and the cat stays warm enough) When I go out there to do some work (read that as "staying out of the wife's way") I will turn the temperature up to 60 F.  Very comfy and happy Zippy.

• Like 2

I am going to look at a different approach to dehumidifying and heating my bike workshed. Thinking of installing a small split air con system. Finding myself in the man cave more in winter, and having bikes, tools and lathe dry plus heat in winter, it would be cheaper to run than the conventional methods. They have dropped a lot in price over the years. I got the added advantage of being a refrigeration engineer so installation for me is no problem. :stoned:

I am going to look at a different approach to dehumidifying and heating my bike workshed. Thinking of installing a small split air con system. Finding myself in the man cave more in winter, and having bikes, tools and lathe dry plus heat in winter, it would be cheaper to run than the conventional methods. They have dropped a lot in price over the years. I got the added advantage of being a refrigeration engineer so installation for me is no problem. :stoned:

Hi Floydbassman

I have installed a 7kw wall mount (daikin) best thing I ever did. Instant heat when working in the garage! The new daikin controller has night set back so you can set a low temp setting, if the garage falls below this point the unit will switch back on and pull the temp back up.

PS I am a refrigeration engineer as well!

Hi Floydbassman

I have installed a 7kw wall mount (daikin) best thing I ever did. Instant heat when working in the garage! The new daikin controller has night set back so you can set a low temp setting, if the garage falls below this point the unit will switch back on and pull the temp back up.

PS I am a refrigeration engineer as well!

Is this model suitable for a single or double garage?

Garage with ceiling or open timbers?

Does this blow the heat around on a fan ?

Is it an air conditioner ?

What is the running cost of this leaving it on as a de humid ?

On a different subject .I just cant see a fan on its own could help with damp air at this time of year. Surely the only way is to heat the air or suck the moisture out with  dehumidifier .

My workshop is huge compared to most, and I can't be bothered to heat it most of the time I'm working in it,the woodburner just eats too much to be practical. So, my bikes,lathe and anything else that are sensitive to damp just get a coating of WD40 - before the damp gets to them.I am thinking about getting one of those hot air blowers that are advertised in the classic bike mags,as its sometimes difficult to get bikes dry enough after a wash. The airline doesn't quite cut it,and I'm aware that my favourite bike is 66 years old now so keeping it looking factory fresh needs more care. 

Condensation has been worse this winter because of the weather. Much of the time humidity has been near 100% meaning only a slight cooling is necessary to cause condensation. Basically what happens is that you metal objects cool to the lower temp usually at night then warmer damp air moves onto them and condensation occurs. In most sheds / garages a dehumidifier will not work and will cost a lot in electricity. JonV8's WD40 method is probably as good a way as any or put low kW heaters under any important equipment (welding sets). Even keeping the shed a few degrees above outside temp will stop most condensation. The lower the ambient temperature the less effective a dehumidifier is.

I'm in the process of building a 16' X 10' shed / workshop to house all my toys .... It's a timber framed, tongue and groove pitched / felted roofed building that was treated at the factory and I have also double coated it with a timber treatment.

I managed to get it built and water tight before Jan as I was away for a month working in Dubai.

The shed is sat on creosoted 2" X 4" timbers that are sat on concrete slab pillars with a good 8" air gap underneath.

I took delivery this week of 24 sheets of 8ft X 4ft X 1" polystyrene which will be going between all the frame timbers with 0.5" chipboard on the front.

I will be lining the whole shed with a thin plastic vapour barrier first.

The floor is also having the polystyrene with .75" OSB board on top.

The roof will be lined with the vapour barrier, polystyrene and then some thin fibre board.

I intend to have a small electric heater in there to add a bit of warmth of required.

As for bike cleaning ..... I have a friend who is a professional detailer and as such stole one of his tool ideas.

I bought a machine that is sold as a dog grooming dryer, basically it's a huge hairdryer for dogs, it can be wall mounted or free standing has a long tube with 2 attachments and can be set to blow hot or cold and at varying strengths (it has some real snot when flat out)

Wash the bike as normal, dry with the dog dryer and liberally coat with GT85 .... Job done.

I recomend the dryer as a really useful tool.

As  Fifer the thought of heating my garage would bring me out in a sweat. 

It's just not the done thing round these here parts and anyone admitting to such an indugence would be told to "get a grip" .

Some weeks my Scorpa just lies out the back all week under the lean too thingy which frankly is good enough for the old gird.

I know this post is no help whatsoever but as it's rained since October  I'm just glad the garage hasn;t floated off down the Forth.