Trs Clutch Effort

heffergm

Having bought a trs recently and previously having a jotagas the clutch is harder on the trs , now wether this is due to my trs being new and the jotagas being 2 1/2 yrs old I don't know , it's basically the same design as a jotagas , I may swop the bel vile washer ( which provides the tension in the clutch ) if it's the same as the jotagas , and see how that feels.

Was struggling at the weekend with the bite point being very close to bars , so it took a lot a lot of pulling in to clear , maybe me getting tired ? Not sure .

The Jtg clutch was great for most riders , but the factory riders felt that it didn't grab fast enough for steps and big stuff , not that it would effect 99 percent of people. They had to upgrade them.

I would guess that this is the reason why the trs clutch is stiffer as they have upgraded it. The factory riders run with standard clutches as they're strong enough.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

I rode a TRS 300RR this last weeken here in Taiwan I thought the clutch to be much stiffer to pull than my 06 montesa . The bike is light the guy that owns really like it but if i had it I would have to do something with clutch. 

What do you do for such a hard pull on a TRS? I watch this guy ride hes having arm pump holding clutch shakes it out and keeps on riding i think he's around 17 so can't blame age. 

Who would have imagined, as we spent five minutes adjusting the spring tension on our Bultacos to get the plates to lift square back in the Seventies, that progress would be such that this far in to the 21st century people would have to be messing about with emery to get a clutch to work properly?

Surely modern design and, more to the point, production methods, can do better than this.

28 minutes ago, heffergm said:

Erm... working properly and changing pull effort are two entirely different things. And something tells me the clutch on a modern TRS is better in just about every way than an old Bultaco, but maybe I'm wrong...

It's not working properly if you can't pull it, or have I missed the point ?

Correct Ross.  Regardless of the power of the works rider's finger a clutch should be designed and produced to a consistent standard (which seems to be the nub of the problem here as some clutches would appear to be light and others not) such that it works to the satisfaction of the target purchaser within his expectations related to contemporary standards.  Which is what the 1970's clutches, except probably Ossa, did. In that context a Bultaco clutch appears to be "better" than some described by users above.

If pack thickness is critical then that should be addressed on assembly at the factory, not left to the metalworking skills of the buyer.