How To Tie Bike Down In Back Of Van?

gasmatt

• 3 months later...

Bit late to the party but these bike chocks are brilliant, fantastic, excellent et al.

Originally bought for my road bikes for track days as strapping down and securing sports bikes with fairings is a real chore to avoid damage. It really is one of those items I wish I'd bought years ago.

They start at £30 ish but heavy duty ones are £45 as used for my GSX-R750, Firestorm etc and bolt onto the floor. In fact they work so well it only requires two small straps just for piece of mind.

Picture below is similar but mine has two securing mounts up front but you get the idea

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301071174223

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 1

Probably the quickest and easiest system i ever came across was Munch's one  (the late departed M Sport motesa guru) which attached a small bracket to the wheel arch similar position of bike to the old Bulto above.

The bracket was a couple of  inches below normal footrest height so the bike was compressed on suspension to fit under then a captive bolt was dropped down through footrest hole.

excellent system so simple.

• Like 1

Although new to trials I'm not so new to strapping bikes in back of vans, personally I don't like compressing the forks for long periods, I've seen a few premature seal failiures myself. if on a trailor I would use something similar to Michael t's solution,acerbis actually marketed something like this about 2o years ago.

If in a van I would just simply stand bike beside the inside of the van and point front wheel towards the side its leaning ,I would use one strap from a secure point on the van side above handle bar height to the outside grip and back to another point on side of van. trick is to wrap the excess from the strap around the front brake lever aswell ,I used to load 2 bikes like this and would only take seconds and never budge

When I have seen for seals leak from compression is only when already near failure or dirty.

I am not saying you should or shouldn't compress them, I like the idea of having some way to hall a bike and not have to worry about that. Just haven't ever seen issues if the seals are good to begin with.

If you use those front wheel chocks/stands previously mentioned then you only need to barely strap the forks at all, just a token effort

The Stands are similar to the price of a set of fork seals

Plus you can use them in the garage,box trailer or van

Just saying

• Like 1