Cleaning Trials Clothing

trapezeartist

Funnily enough, chain grease is designed to stick tenaciously, so once it is in to the fabric it's bound to be hard to get out.

The solution to your problem is to adopt the old wax cotton trousers ☺  Though you may find that Elbow Grease spray does a good job of removing oil stains.

I never have a problem removing mud with normal washing powder. Have you tried soaking overnight in a solution of this?  

Don't leave it to dry in - swill any mud off if you can at the trial or hose down as soon as you get home.

I then treat it like normal washing - leave in a pile on the floor and it turns up folded and clean in my trials bag ;) ( I do have an exceptionally understanding wife and one that washes her horse and riding gear just before mine goes in) Horse hair in the undies works well for improving your movement on the bike!!

A normal 40 wash normally gets mine ok with a reasonable quality detergent.

Might need a longer wash every now and then or after a particular long and muddy national trial etc I even find oil and lube comes out after a few washes . 

• Like 1

I wasn't really holding out a lot of hope over the oil stains, but I'll try getting a bottle of Elbow Grease. In the meantime I've thrown them back in the machine on  the pre-wash, post-wash, super-duper wash cycle and I'll see if that helps. Unfortunately leaving on the floor doesn't work in our house Jimmy :mellow:.

18 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

"Proper" trials clothing (shirt and trousers) is expensive but should be made for the job. So why does mud and chain grease not wash off easily? Does anyone have any cunning methods for keeping their riding gear looking good?

Not sure if you have "Shout"(or similar) stain remover on your side of the pond. If so, spray on the stain, let soak 15 mins, rub fabric to lift stain, toss in the wash. Gets out all grease, petroleum, mud, blood, bad karma, etc...

Well the give-it-everything wash cycle worked on the clay-mud stains pretty well. Now I have to dig around on the laundry shelf to see what might be around to tackle the grease stains. The chain grease has survived several conventional washes so any success now will be all bonus.

• 1 year later...