Jump to content

justjosh9

How good to do ssdt?

Recommended Posts

Started trials at 24 - so I’m only doing it for fun but I would like to compete some prestigious trials in a few years to come (been riding a year and a bit) 

 

i definitly want to have a go In the ssdt. Don’t really care if I come last as long as I finish;) 

what sort of a standard do I need to be riding at to comfortably finish the trial?? Is there any other trials that are a good indicator if I’m ready? Won’t be for at least another few years but it’s nice to have goals !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lomax or Powys S3 are good trials as would be the Jack Wood again S3  -clubman route.

Would say you need to be finishing them comfortably.

I've Never done the Reeth 3 day but again would guess be a good yard stick

Longmynd is a good ride around as well  as the Vic Britain  =both local to you.:thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justjosh9 said:

Started trials at 24 - so I’m only doing it for fun but I would like to compete some prestigious trials in a few years to come (been riding a year and a bit) 

 

i definitly want to have a go In the ssdt. Don’t really care if I come last as long as I finish;) 

what sort of a standard do I need to be riding at to comfortably finish the trial?? Is there any other trials that are a good indicator if I’m ready? Won’t be for at least another few years but it’s nice to have goals !!

You could try the Lakes 2 day trial in October to dip your toe in a longer trial if you have not done anything other than closed circuit club trials and see how you feel physically and get on with a bigger event......if completing that is not very easy for you then you may have to up your game to ride the much harder sections and longer loops in the SSdt    https://youtu.be/3wqj2K-YfI0   https://youtu.be/RdaIqKXFBoc

Ross Noble [not a bad off road rider] finished the SSDT with help from a very experienced rider pushing him on and with very good weather conditions ........I personally do not think he would have finished without his experienced friends help and being pushed to get a move on throughout each day It would probably help to arrange to ride your first SSdt  with another rider.

Go to Hawks nest in Staffordshire and ride up the famous Hawks nest section 20 tImes from bottom to top and in between each attempt go for a 5 mile ride on the road to give you a very loose idea of what you would be up against in the SSdt then imagine that the road riding part would really consist of 30 miles or so of energy sapping boggy moorland crossings in the rain.

Edited by oni nou
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving the sections aside, there's really only one way to become good at crossing miles of moor at a reasonable speed and that is to practice crossing miles of moor at a reasonable speed - not so easily achieved with most modern trials being as they are.  The less your riding ability then the more you really need to be physically fit in order to finish - lifting a bike about wastes a lot of energy (watch the Ross Noble programmes, he was puggled to say the least and that was a dry year).

I would suggest a structured training regime in the weights room.  In the days when I rode the Scottish I was fortunate enough to be able to join in with just such a two nights a week, motorcycle specific, organised scheme.  I still have the training schedule if it is of interest.

Also, do it sooner rather than later.  Better to look back on a "bad" Scottish than never do one.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oni nou said:

You could try the Lakes 2 day trial in October to dip your toe in a longer trial if you have not done anything other than closed circuit club trials and see how you feel physically and get on with a bigger event......if completing that is not very easy for you then you may have to up your game to ride the much harder sections and longer loops in the SSdt    https://youtu.be/3wqj2K-YfI0   https://youtu.be/RdaIqKXFBoc

Ross Noble [not a bad off road rider] finished the SSDT with help from a very experienced rider pushing him on and with very good weather conditions ........I personally do not think he would have finished without his experienced friends help and being pushed to get a move on throughout each day It would probably help to arrange to ride your first SSdt  with another rider.

Go to Hawks nest in Staffordshire and ride up the famous Hawks nest section 20 tImes from bottom to top and in between each attempt go for a 5 mile ride on the road to give you a very loose idea of what you would be up against in the SSdt then imagine that the road riding part would really consist of 30 miles or so of energy sapping boggy moorland crossings in the rain.

All I would add to that is yes Ross noble finished it but to say he had the rubb of the green is an understatement! He probably attempted/rode less than half the sections all week and would never have finished if he wasn’t a celeb and a lot of blind eyes were turned! Fair play to him for having a crack though and he did more to publicise the sport than anything over the last few years!

To answer the original question I would say you need to be at least a good intermediate centre rider to stand a decent chance of finishing 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. 2stroke4stroke yeah I would definitly like to see the training regime if you still have it knocking around. I know physical fitness is going to probably be the biggest challenge of it for me so the sooner I start training for bigger lap trials then 2 3 day events and hopefully finally the ssdt! There’s no way I could do it next year I get tired after some closed circuit trials in the midlands 😂... 

i might try and get on the long mynd next year 👍👍 I know it can be hard to get in 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a funny old trial, there's always something that's not factored in . The weather can kill you and there's bike trouble and mad time schedules that just work against you. You can never plan for  every eventuality.  I would say the fitter you are the better and the better the rider you are the less fit you have to be. I would say just go for it as the chance is you'll not get an entry first time but be prepared for a very hard week and don't expect to enjoy yourself until after Town Hall Brae. It'll still be the best thing you've ever done on a trials bike by miles.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to be a pretty decent middle route rider at least.

Experience riding every road trial you can for a year or so before having a go. Bike fitness is more important than going to the gym.

And remember the videos flatten the sections. And they don't show the big holes amongst the rocks.

Also a lot of the sections are big and intimidating nowadays. And if it's wet you can't see what your riding to make it even harder.

It can be a very expensive and demanding week but if you havn't tried it you will never know if it's for you. Some have one go and never again. But most keep going back for more every year.

It was my favourite trial but too old for it now.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deffo do the Reeth 3day. I have been told by Six day riders its a good measure minus the road work and obviously six days of it. I fancied the six days but this certainly woke me up to how fitness is so important, especially if your getting stuck a lot and are having to keep dragging, pulling and lifting your bike.  Good luck, hope you make it.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to experience some moorland crossing a trip to The Ilkley Grand National trial in March would give you a taste of something a bit like an SSDT moor. The trial is on a Saturday so you could ride another difficult event on the sunday to see how you feel on Monday. You have the benefit of youth on your side and the fact that your asking questions and planning in advance gives you half a chance. It is the best trial in the world. Dougie says so.  Better to try and fail than fail to try.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ride the jack wood trial which is part of the s3 championship... it’s with the Hillsborough mcc in march. Its the only 50 section one day event in the UK...that will be test for you but a cracking trial!

The White Rose trial with the West Leeds club up in hawes is another great trial and the ALAN jefferies with Bradford club at halton gill! You def need to be having a pop at these before you enter the ssdt in my opinion... I’ve done the above a few times and hoping to get an entry in the ssdt next year.

All in Yorkshire but..... well ya know propa trials like ;-)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 7:06 PM, timp said:

You need to be a pretty decent middle route rider at least.

Experience riding every road trial you can for a year or so before having a go. Bike fitness is more important than going to the gym.

And remember the videos flatten the sections. And they don't show the big holes amongst the rocks.

Also a lot of the sections are big and intimidating nowadays. And if it's wet you can't see what your riding to make it even harder.

It can be a very expensive and demanding week but if you havn't tried it you will never know if it's for you. Some have one go and never again. But most keep going back for more every year.

It was my favourite trial but too old for it now.

I know how you feel!

The first time I rode it I under estimated how fit you need to be. I was riding in the British championships and regular nationals to a reasonable standard and being young with attitude expected it to be a breeze. It certainly knocked me down a peg or two! The following year I made sure I was physically prepared and it made all the difference! Unfortunately on the 5th day heading for a top twenty finish my bike seized up on the road and it was game over. 

My advise to anyone attempting the SSDT get as fit physically and fit "bike wise", as you can and make sure you prepare your bike & kit  immaculately with plenty of back up and spares. As been mentioned if the sections don't drain you the weather and moor crossings will! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could always offer your services to observe or back mark at the SSDT you'll get to see the terrain and the sections and a feel for the event. Looking briefly at sections then riding them wearing a back pack is very strange the first few times you do it, then there's the time and the length of the sections and moorland crossings. Definatley worth a trip up to gain an insight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×