Whats gone wrong with Trials.

trialsrider46

23 hours ago, b40rt said:

What's gone wrong with trials, riders ?

I wish I knew why classic trials has been in decline - in Europe they put on some cracking events ... I was upset that the Downland has been cancelled this year :( after my newbie floundering last year I was hoping to be able to do it more convincingly this time around

3 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

I wish I knew why classic trials has been in decline - in Europe they put on some cracking events ... I was upset that the Downland has been cancelled this year :( after my newbie floundering last year I was hoping to be able to do it more convincingly this time around

Europe, as you say have many fantastic events, but we have some brilliant classic/pre65 events up here. Then pre65 Scottish,  Highland 2 Day and the newest one, The Leven Valley 2 day based in Kinlochleven. There are also great events in Yorkshire/ north east and west of England. IOM also.  Plenty to choose from if you are prepared to travel a bit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, turbofurball said:

So is it just down south they've dried up?

No sign of Classic trials drying up in the South West,we have plenty of excellent events, my biggest problem in running my club is avoiding date clashes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, b40rt said:

Europe, as you say have many fantastic events, but we have some brilliant classic/pre65 events up here. Then pre65 Scottish,  Highland 2 Day and the newest one, The Leven Valley 2 day based in Kinlochleven. There are also great events in Yorkshire/ north east and west of England. IOM also.  Plenty to choose from if you are prepared to travel a bit.

Visited at Highland Classic, this year............WOW, blown away by the sections, - and surrounding area! ( followed the course, just getting to the sections was like walking one long section;)  Certainly one my 'would love to do list......but coming from the chalk and clay based south, rock is summat not ridden, - yet.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Twinshockandy said:

Visited at Highland Classic, this year............WOW, blown away by the sections, - and surrounding area! ( followed the course, just getting to the sections was like walking one long section;)  Certainly one my 'would love to do list......but coming from the chalk and clay based south, rock is summat not ridden, - yet.

Glad you enjoyed it, Inverness & District have put a huge amount of effort into it to get it to the fantastic trial it has evolved into.

Next year's swm edition will I'm sure, take it up another notch. ?

(I'm sure we would be equally at a loss on chalk and clay)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, b40rt said:

Glad you enjoyed it, Inverness & District have put a huge amount of effort into it to get it to the fantastic trial it has evolved into.

Next year's swm edition will I'm sure, take it up another notch. ?

(I'm sure we would be equally at a loss on chalk and clay)

All being well I'll be up to watch, again..............maybe's contact club beforehand once its a booked off work with offer to help observe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twinshockandy said:

All being well I'll be up to watch, again..............maybe's contact club beforehand once its a booked off work with offer to help observe.

I'm sure the club would be delighted to have you observe, frequently a club member has to give up a ride if they are short numbered. 

• Like 4

As someone that rides in Europe, well across the channel and then a little further south sometimes, the major twinshock  classics go from strength to strength, the recent Ventoux trial 300 plus riders and the Costa Brava classic over 400 riders with some 40 odd brits heading south to it. Whilst these two trials take the headlines others are poorly supported and a recent post mentioning two hours in the car to a trial, well that is the minimum for me, and sometimes much more.  For a two lap of ten sections type affair,  that as I get older, and fuel costs and such  start and becoming noticeable, I like many others have decided to stay at home. So apart from a couple of dates this side of the channel its the same thing.  Riders here are only doing quality events, we don t have anywhere near the amount of trials in France that the Uk hosts, in fact someone last year bemoaned the fact that I ran a friendly trial on the same day as another trial 450 kms away. The added cost now, of a licence at 145 euros for a classic type or over 250 for a modern type might also add to the problem.  Hope that helps from across the channel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That does add a bit of context yes, thank you - I guess I take it for granted that I can go on a non-classic trial within an hour or so most weekends, and although I might flounder a bit it's still better than no trials at all!

(also, the Copa Costa Brava looks sooo good!)

1 hour ago, turbofurball said:

That does add a bit of context yes, thank you - I guess I take it for granted that I can go on a non-classic trial within an hour or so most weekends, and although I might flounder a bit it's still better than no trials at all!

(also, the Copa Costa Brava looks sooo good!)

it is!