Bike choice for brand new rider?

SuperSquid

I am 5'11 tall (180cm) and 190 lbs (86 kg).  I am athletic and very physically fit.  I race in GNCC hare scrambles and ride hard enduro on my GasGas 300 XC.  I want to get a trials bike to help with my hard enduro skills and also as just another motorcycle activity to enjoy.  I have never even seen a trials bike in person and I don't think there are any clubs near me but I will try to look.  I have no idea what to look for for a first trials bike.  2 stroke or 4 stroke, engine displacement, etc.  I do not want to get a beginner bike that I will quickly out grow but I do not want a bike that will be too much for me.  There is a beta dealer 2 hours from me and I think that is the closest dealer that will have trials bikes but I don't mind driving further.  There are 2 bikes near me for sale that are used. A 2005 beta 125 for $ 3500 and a 2018 TRS 250 Raga for 8300

I've never ridden a four stroke trials bike so no idea.  I can only give you my first impressions as someone like you that has had dirt bikes in the past (and lots of road bikes).  I bought the TRS 280 as it was all that was available when looking.  If you are used to a dirt bike I don't think it is too much at all.  The biggest thing for trials is the clutch and the throttle and getting smooth power to the ground with slipping the clutch.  Personally I don't find the power too much and I doubt you would either if you have similar background to me.

Lots of people talk about the bike being too much and there are lots of things you can do, but the real secret is learn to ride better.  Just remember to slow down - trials is slow and control, not about power and revs.  I don't think I have got above one third throttle on my TRS yet.

A 250 two stroke is probably the best selling and most popular bike there is and the TRS is a nice bike if it is in your budget.  The Beta 250 is very good also.

A 300cc is probably a bit much to start on.

Edited by ChrisCH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If there aren't loads of bikes near you then put condition and value first, look for something useable that you won't lose a fortune on if you decide it's not for you.

125 easier to learn on but highly capable if you ring it's neck (and that's what they are made for) very few riders truly outgrow them, they just fancy more torque. 300 even with your experience will slow down your leaning but shouldn't scare the crap out of you. 250 is the bog standard choice, often a lower state of tune than either of the other two so it's not just about cc's.

If training for riding a 2 stroke enduro I'd prefer 2 stroke for more comparable characteristics.

3 hours ago, SuperSquid said:

I am 5'11 tall (180cm) and 190 lbs (86 kg).  I am athletic and very physically fit.  I race in GNCC hare scrambles and ride hard enduro on my GasGas 300 XC.  I want to get a trials bike to help with my hard enduro skills and also as just another motorcycle activity to enjoy.  I have never even seen a trials bike in person and I don't think there are any clubs near me but I will try to look.  I have no idea what to look for for a first trials bike.  2 stroke or 4 stroke, engine displacement, etc.  I do not want to get a beginner bike that I will quickly out grow but I do not want a bike that will be too much for me.  There is a beta dealer 2 hours from me and I think that is the closest dealer that will have trials bikes but I don't mind driving further.  There are 2 bikes near me for sale that are used. A 2005 beta 125 for $ 3500 and a 2018 TRS 250 Raga for 8300

As far as modern bikes go nobody makes a "beginner bike", though there are some that might be considered expert only.  125s are designed for use by skinny teenagers and to give them as much power as can reasonably be used in the context within the artificial 125 restriction.

In my limited experience of 125s they don't make riding easier - there is a delay in the power coming in when ridden in my style (and my weight of 160 lbs bbn) . Of course this can be reduced by using clutch slip and more throttle but that is just something else to distract while you are learning to negotiate sections, as opposed to blitzing in hard enduro style, and you could probably do without that.

I ride a 4RT, after over forty years on two strokes, and find the delivery OK but it is different - I have no plans to go back. You won't find a Beta 200 over there so, as said, and as a broad generalisation, a 250 twostroke is probably your best bet.  Having a relatively close dealer is a consideration. Some consider Betas to be outdated, having owned one for 12 years I would prefer to say, developed.  Their relative poularity over here would seem to indicate they have it right.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok thanks for the advice. There is a shop in the area that caries beta and Scorpa. Both are priced about the same and cheaper than the used TRS. I think I am going to get a 250 beta or Scorpa, as far as parts availability does either one of those stand out above the other? I can do work on bikes myself but I don’t want to struggle to find parts or get support Incase there’s an issue I can’t fix myself.  

Beta Evo 200 is the perfect beginner bike.  Plenty enough power for any rider, UK only though so you would struggle to get one.  Go for a Beta Evo 250.  I had a Sherco 290 as my first bike and it was evil.  Even "tamed" by having a slow throttle, retarded ignition and altered gearing it was a horrid thing to ride.  The Evos are so soft and nice to ride.  We do get a slightly different spec in the UK with a heavier flywheel to cope with UK conditions.  I believe you can add the weight to other models though.

Edited by rcgods
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 8:27 AM, SuperSquid said:

Boise OMC has a trials aria and there is a group of us that ride out in the area.  PM me and I can setup a demo ride with you as I have a buddy bike you can try if your close enough?  

Edited by jonnyc21

On 9/2/2019 at 9:39 AM, SuperSquid said:

Is the power delivery of a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke very different like it is with a regular dirt bike?

The feel is quite different but power delivery on most trials bikes is a lot more linear so other than compression braking on a 4 stroke and few more lbs (6 to 10 depending on the bike) the difference isn't as noticeable.  If you are close enough to do a ride with me I can bring our 2T 125 and my 4T 250 so you can compare how they feel... 

FYI. there is a few trials riders I am aware of east of the Boise area depending on your location as well but no official club out that way like OMC.

Edited by jonnyc21

Thanks for the help everyone. I am up north in Bonner county. About 60 miles south of Canada. I found a club in Spokane, WA that I might try to check out. It’s a couple hours away so I should be able to do it. Really appreciate everyone’s help and offers. 

• Like 2