What To Do And Expect On My First Trial?

ralph1

I’m hoping to do my first trial this weekend, so some friendly advice would be appreciated :) 

I was planning on turning up 1 hour before the start, do I need to walk the sections before the start?

I must admit, I quite nervous!  

Edited by ralph1

It's natural to be nervous, i don't calm down until iv done the first section but really there is nothing to be nervous about, i always get their at least an hour early and some times have a quick look at some of the sections but you will be walking them again when the trial starts so not to important, If you can, it would be better for you if you can go around with another rider but if your on your own and your not sure how to ride a section, just ask the other riders who are ridding the same route or ask the observer, it's a competitive sport but i don't know of another sport that your competitors are more than willing to help you out and give you sound advice, most important, don't forget why you are there, to enjoy your yourself, maybe if you let us know what trial you are doing, someone on here will be doing the same trial and will show you the ropes, or at least come and say hi, good luck for Sunday, have a great day. 

Get there an hour before start, with money and licence if required, get signed on and enjoy a cuppa chat etc, no need to walk sections before the start, riders usually go to sections and walk them before riding on first lap.

Don't worry about failing we have all been there,if the sections are too difficult just have a ride round anyway, there may be some easier ones to have a go at. Remember to have fun, a day on the bike is better than nothing.

Cheers

I wouldn't walk them first as you'll probably forget them, look for other people in your class and watch their lines to give you an idea of the best line, and most of all just enjoy the day don't worry about losing marks we've all been there at some point

Edited by hulmie

From a practical point of view, take a bin bag to put all your muddy gear in after the trial. You'll be thirsty when you finish so be sure to take a drink. Also take tools sufficient to carry out minor tasks as you pass the start area, if not carrying them with you, eg zip ties, spanner for chain adjusting, tyre gauge etc.

Don't spend too long looking at each section, but do watch a few riders through each one to get an idea of the best line, speed, gear etc. Try to keep up with the general flow of riders round the course, you don't want to drift to the back of the field leaving yourself little time to deal with any machine bothers or extricating yourself from any tricky situations.

Post again next week to let us know how it went.

• Like 1

It's usual to turn up in good time, sign on, sort yourself and your bike out and wait for the start.

As the weather is turning now in the UK, take a towel and a complete change of clothes, pants, socks the lot, so you don't drive home with a soggy a***.

They can be fairly draining days, so a good slow burner of a breakfast works well, like a big bowl of porridge before you set off along with drinks and snacks for the day (bananas), not forgetting something for the trip home.

A lot of places don't like you riding around aimlessly before start and I too suffer with those nervous first few minutes.

So once directed to start, I don't often go direct to the first section, but have a mad dash about in the woods for a few minutes on the bike, it warms the bike and me up a bit,  so my a*** ain't gripping the rear mudguard!

Once at the first section, then walk it, study it well, watch others, pick your line and it's fairly safe to say, don't change your mind!

Try not to frighten yourself, a bad first trial can do lots of damage to your head!

So perhaps come to terms with the fact you ain't going to win first outing and tackle the sections you can and maybe miss out anything that daunts you or you can't work out.

Another way would be to try these sections next time around.

Quite often trials are multi lap affairs and you usually ride better the second and third lap of say a four lapper. (the fourth starts slipping as you get knackered!).

If you crack these iffy ones, you can always double up and ride them again.

As mentioned, it's good to watch others, but maybe less so to ask, we're all good sportsmen and women when we want to be!

It's good etiquette to thank your observers on the last lap, the poor buggers stand there all day for your pleasure, it's the least they desevre.

Above all, enjoy it and remember what the experience has taught you.

No doubt it'll be you ain't as fit as you think and/or it's gonna cost a packet to fix!

Edited by goudrons

I agree with all of the above. I've now been riding on and off for 40 years with even an odd win or two over the years. I had a 12 month lay off last year and then when I rode again it was like it was my first trial, I was so nervous.

When I started this wonderful sport, the first 3 trials I rode I didn't even finish! This was down to fitness, machine failure(poor prep) and spending so long looking at a section I couldn't possibly do I ran out of time.

So don't worry about setting your sights too low just endure and enjoy!

Look forward to your post event follow up post next week.

Clean the first section and you'll be reet, that'll calm your nerves

All good advice, that has been said

I stop each lap, at the Van to re-fuel - even if it's not strictly necessary as it's a real bugger to run out of fuel

Also I drink lots of water, after each lap and have a banana or something just to put some energy back in each lap - kinda feed your bike and yourself

Stopping for 5 mins, each lap allows you to relax, regain your composure, do a few stretches (stop arm pump) and takes you out of the moment for a while

Then refreshed you're ready to go again and try to do what you did well on the preceding lap and change what you did crap and try a different technique

At the start of each section, on subsequent laps - ask to see if its changed or have a quick look, as sometimes the section is changed by the Clerk, if it has been too difficult or easy

Edited by johnnyboxer

Having recently started I would say just try and relax, don’t feel intimidated by the experts practicing bunny hopping around you before the start they have been riding for years.

Don’t worry about time, just try and do one lap, the first lap always takes the longest, if you do one lap you have done well, if you finish one lap and feel you can do another do so, if not call it a day and watch other riders.

You will most likely fall off, you will most like take the wrong route at some point. You will feel like you are riding like an idiot but don’t let it get to your head. You are not alone and everyone goes through it, I still am. Forget about the last section and treat the next with a clear mind.

It can be frustrating and you can feel as though you don’t need the stress and feel like giving up, but the more times you do it the more you relax and the more you relax the more enjoyable it becomes and the better you will ride.

Try and talk to people as you go around, explain it’s your first time, ask what gear to use, explain to are having difficulty with turns, climbs or whatever and they will very often give you some good advice. Everyone is always very friendly.

Do stick with it, it is so easy to finish your first trial totally disillusioned with your own ability but you will get improve quickly if you persevere you will really enjoy it.

Do let us know how you get on.

Turn up an hour before, unload bike and get kit on, chat to your neighbour, sign on, have a look at sections if you feel like it and they are close by

When the trial starts walk each section before riding it

Before having a go, watch how others ride on the route you're doing, then ride your first section, don't worry about putting your feet down, build your confidence a bit at a time.

if you don't fancy doing a particular section, just tell the observer your taking a five.

If you do find it to hard going and decide to stop riding, remember to ride round and tell each observer that you are retiring.

Don't worry about your score (my first was 146) or whether you come last, just enjoy the experience.

Have a great day, oh and the smile usually lasts until midday the next day.

You have not really described your riding experience, if you are a first time off road rider I would suggest you get yourself some time on the bike away from others. No I don't mean go into the woods and fall off where no one is around to help but you don't want to be falling off in front of 5 people in a queue at a trial that is too hard for you.

It is a fantastic sport but much much harder than it looks, do not be surprised if as a first timer you have difficulty just getting between the sections let alone ride through them.

I would suggest you go to a couple of beginers / practice events to build some experience before going to a proper trial

Lastly all the other posts are spot on if you are ready for your first event, good luck and I hope you ride for years to come.

It's a great sport but don't expect too much too soon.It looks easy,but certainly isn't and is more physical than you might think.Your first event will be a struggle and terrific fun.Dont go in over your head,if you feel a section is too much for just ask the observer for a 5.Take notice of what others do and try and copy the good ones.Dont be afraid to ask for advice,we re a friendly lot.All the other posts advice pretty much sum it up,you're getting into something good where age and ability don't limit your enjoyment

When I fived a section in my first trial by trying too hard to avoid a dab I was given some sage advice by a then recent national champion.  “Don’t try and clean everything”, he said.  I took that to heart and have spent the intervening four decades successfully not cleaning very much at all :D

Self deprecation aside, the advice was good.  Once you find your feet, as it were, and have some idea of your capabilities you should plan out where you will need to dab rather than be forced to dab then having more through keeping your feet up too long and ending up in a position you don’t want to be.  A judicious dab can avoid a three or five.  Once you get a bit better you will know which sections you can clean and progress from there.

Don’t forget, the correct tyre pressures make a big difference.