Here is the short project of my 2018 factory beta evo 300. I purchased the bike around 3 months ago. I quicky realised after i purchased it that I preferred the look of the facelift bike (2020 onwards) and set about the conversion. All the plastics and map switch was purchased through beta uk. The map switch was a big deal for me although you cant really tell the difference between maps i just think it looks trick. I will let the pictures do the talking, shes done now. Only thing i plan on changing is the tyres when the Michelin shortage is over.
This is a modified Yamaha 200.
Its had many small mods so far to get to a good starting point.
Im pretty happy so far.
Obviously its going to suffer from a touch too much wieght but I have managed to shave off lots already and I wont be looking to hop it around at all.
Itll be a contrast to bikes ive had previously so looking forward to getting it done.
Update#1 So the latest work ive done is fabricate the subframe, although its not completed yet as I need to route the exhaust on the right and then fabricate the last subframe rail to suit. Ive also made a start on the rear brake pedal and pivot. The pedal needs to be finished off for correct position and length and the brake plate stay mount has to be moved slightly on the swingarm.
Update#2 Ive been a bit slack in posting updates of this build as ive just been busy building it!
So ill just jump straight to where I am now with it at its "almost finished" stage.
A huge difference from the previous pictures of the very early stages of the build, lots of mods and fabrication to the running chassis and also to the fibreglass tank/seat unit.
Still have lots to do to finish it off and then itll be a constant project to continue its development into a ore capable bike. I have competed on it already and so far its very good.
Photos of my Ardie from 1953, was road registered from 1954 - 1962.
After rebuild and sonme enhancements since 2020 road registered again.
Engine: 176cc, double port outlet,
Weight: 77kg with all fluids and gas,
- Black Decal Kit
- Carbon Fibre Swing Arm Protectors
- 2008 Airbox
- Subframe brackets
- Black Front Mudguard
- 2006 Rear Mudguard
- Black Airbox Lid
- Jitsie Air Filter
Other Work done in the past fortnight:
- New Tyres
- Re-Packed Exhaust
- New Thermostat
- Wiring declutter
- Fresh Coolant & Trans Oil
- New Brake Pads front and back
- Fresh Brake Fluid
- New Number Board
- Apico Lanyard Killswitch
- Apico Fork Socks
- Renthal Bar Pad (off an MX bike, need a nicer, smaller one really!)
Have ridden a few trials now. All is going really well. Have got the breaks working better. As there are no springs in the front shocks, (saves 3/4 of a kilo!!) I've played with the "spring rate" a bit, and now is really good, way better than they were at standard. Nice and plush at the start and progressively, stiffer to the top. How this works is set the pressure by the minimum required to just return the forks to fully extended while bike is standing at rest without rider, (mine is 3.4 bar). The oil volume sets the fully compressed pressure/force, (less air volume when extended (i.e. more oil) = greater rate of force increase, i.e. compression).
This has been a really enjoyable project with a great result (lots learned and a ridable bike), hope it inspires you to have a go in some way.
Have had stiffer springs fitted, increased dampening by 30%. rear is almost right.
A bit stiffer at the top end and will be good. I've now added small springs inside the main ones that push on the shock bump stop and engage for the last 10mm shock travel, (the last 35mm of wheel travel) seems to work a treat.
Steers really well, still good for drop-offs. (Was concerned about that) Nice and tractable. Easy to balance.
Breaks; (should be called drags) typical drums. They actually work ok, I've been spoiled by discs.
Clutch; A real mans clutch...Heavy. I last about three laps, need to relearn the old ways! Very difficult to make lighter, will need significant mods, so for now its cement pills and harden up.
Motor; Smaller dia pipe and twice as long, with as much off the flywheel as possible. power is nice and smooth, with very good low down pulling power. accelerates as good as ever.Its a balance between flywheel and pipe.