What If..............................?

gizza5

Any one have any ideas on how to fix it?

Shoot 'em(murderers,terrorists e.t.c)! solves the problem of overcrowded prisons if nowt else, and as for the teenagers of today (not all though, I've turned out allright as have most others) that terrorise our towns, National Service is the answer,get some respect into them.

As for the dog muzzle article I didn't know whether to laugh or pull my hair out in despair at how those in charge of these matters seem to have fresh air between their ears. At least while there's countries fighting and trying to blow each other into oblivion, we give other countries a good laugh when they see the state of ours.

Edited by Beta120690

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The country went downhill when they stopped National Service, there is no respect left in the country for anything, property, people you name it. When our leaders become lilly livered and politically correct the country rapidly follows.

One of the unfortunate things though, bringing back NationalService wouldn't work, the Senior Army/Navy/RAF folk don't want the Riff Raff and thugs in green or blue. Just give them a safari trip instead

Don't know the answer, wish I did. :lol:

Edited by Slapshot 3

It just seems that being a (sort of) middle aged white male Christian from the USA that (I) we are some sort of target.

What's the deal? I didn't choose to be white. I didn't choose what country to come out of the womb in. I didn't choose my sex.

I'm still proud and happy to be all of these. I DID choose my Religion, and it's what I'm most proud and happy about. In my Church we pray for people.

I think the problem is that people mix up religion as an institution with the individual people who have religion. There is no doubt that religion can teach good things, and does seem to inspire people to do good, but I'd like to think that this is something fundamentally good in people that causes this (that is 'good' from my liberal, western perspective). What religion (or at least the fundamental belief in something that can only be accepted by blind faith) can do however is cause an awful lot of hate and pain. It's the barriers that this belief draws between people that is the problem, for these barriers to be traversed would essentially be for religions (as institutions) to die out as it would mean accepting the other guys belief, even if it contradicted yours, which is incompatable with belief. After all, neither of you can prove the elements of your religion, if you could it would be science not religion.

It's hard for me to discuss this because frankly I don't understand belief. I don't just mean belief in religion, I mean belief in general. I accept that things are true based upon the evidence presented to me, but I never believe anything. Actually, I'm not really sure why I'm weighing in here, it seems the very nature of belief in a person makes debate around the subject of those beliefs impossible - if you were capable of really having the debate you wouldn't be capable of holding the belief! I should point out that I don't mean intellectually capable here (before someone takes horrendous offence), but that the belief itself counters the prospect of debate. It is the very nature of belief: it is, and must be, impregnable to doubt. But what can I say, I'm a sucker for a bit of a debate.

Essentially I think the world today would, in many ways, be a nicer place if there were no religions, but for at least the next few generations it's an impossibility - it's just too deeply entrenched in our various cultures. In the post-modern age it's hard to see how religion in the sense we understand it can survive, as long as cultures mix ideas will be exchanged and beliefs will be called into doubt, and fundamentally multiple religions cannot survive in such a climate. It is, of course, impossible to "stamp out" religion, the only thing we can do is hope that people gain enough sense of humanity to stop killing each other over it. That and nationality - there's nothing wrong with having an identity as long as you accept that it is not set in stone, can change with time, and is NOT sacrosanct. But I'm wandering off into completely different territory here.

I think most of these things are an excuse to hate too but at least in this century the Christians aren't the one's cutting heads off in the name of their god.

No but they are bombing entire cities to the ground and indiscriminately killing thousands of people. Let's make no bones about this, the US (and to a degree the UK) government is very much a Christian government. Blair has to be careful about the way he refers to, and acts upon, his religion as most people in this country shrink from the thought of a government acting on religious grounds, but Bush has openly talked about being on 'a mission from god' on several occasions and Blair has let the odd thing slip.

Sorry if that's a bit rambling. This is such a broad subject as to make it very difficult to write on succinctly.

Edited by dan

Faltering upon beliefs?

Just look at N. Korea, they have been brainwashed into supporting their misguided leader while the country as a whole suffers! to accomplish what?

The foundation of hope, faith and god, regardless of religion, provides the basis of our exhistance.

That is the beauty thing about life, you do not have to scientifically prove anything, just open your eyes!

:guinness:

My co director is a scientist and I said to him once, " If you took all the scientists in the world and put them on one Island, surely there would be no religion or belief in God by definition of being scientists"

He said, well you would think that but that isn't the case, you have scientists spending their whole life trying to prove the existence of God. I thought about this and came to this conclusion! Why would they think like that? and I believe its not because they believe there is a god, it is because they want to believe there is a god.

I am a complete 100% non-believer but agree with dan that some aspects of religion teach good things but once they conflict, there is simply no impasse. You cant hold dual beliefs?

I also wondered then if we are to believe there is a god, is that the same for all the dogs, cats and all other animals of the world? Its because we have the ability to think we can generate these thoughts.. after all, all religions are man made!

IMHO :guinness:

I also wondered then if we are to believe there is a god, is that the same for all the dogs, cats and all other animals of the world. Its because we have the ability to think we can generate these thoughts.. after all, all religions are man made!

IMHO :guinness:

Again i`m not at all religious, if I was i`d of been burned at the stake or something a long time ago :guinness:

However what Atom say`s here brings me too something a friend of mine once said too me whilst having an in depth coversation about war etc. can`t remember the whole conversation but the basic lines were:

"God of course theres a f*&^%ing god look in the mirror, you are your own God YOU do things for YOU and what YOU believe and how YOU interpret a situation"

That staement has stuck very firmly in my head for some time now and I think it helps me out with many situations I come across in life, again i`ll stress the fact I follow no religion apart from my own I guess?

Puts a different slant on things no?

There is a God, and I,m just about to ride my bike with him for the next 6 hours!!! enjoy work guys

yep...about 3 weeks ago sat at top of t'hill at back cowm quarry, lovely sunny day, could see for miles just spent 2 hours riding about and i looked down the valley contented thinking "there is a god....and methinks he rides a trials bike" :guinness::guinness:

The serving members of the UK get just 20 mins a week to call home as part of their operational welfare package when on deployed operations from the government. A prisoner gets 30 mins! What the hell is going! This is the tip of the iceberg, I could go on! Why do we put up with it all is the question I ask? The answer normally is that there's no point in complaining to MP's etc as they never listen and act anyway. Well, if we all complained and they never listened then they wouldn't be in the job for very long!

Just heard on the news that the UK is No 1 target for terrorism by Al Queda, this comes as no surprise to me. The UK has been pussy-footing around trying not to rock the boat and upset anyone, how much worse could it get? Our troops are getting a real pasting overseas in a war started over government spin and lies. They can't fight as their hands are tied and we're getting attacked by our very own back home! This is a situation that is getting way out of control. Don't even want to get started on the immigration thing, lucky if I here English being spoken around where I live, sounds like Polish has become the national language!

Obviously chatting on Trials Central isn't going to change anyones minds about relgion. Faith is just that, not science, not proof.

Don't forget, Thomas was a desciple and HE thought he needed to be shown everything too (and he was). That where the phrase "Doubting Thomas" comes from.

Trouble is NOBODY wants to get started on the immigration thing, its about time somebody in power did get started on it. Look at the latest on the Muslim veil thing. That is the start of a well overdue debate, and the thin end of a very long wedge I remember when I was young and a top news item on the news was John Lyddon (Sex Pistols) saying F*** on TV. Things have changed big time. Thanks :guinness:

Faith is just that, not science, not proof.

And this is the bit I just dont get : :guinness:

I looked for some definitions of faith and found this interesting sentence "Faith : the finding of security in the permanence of the need for truth in human nature, used as a shield for fear when truth is unattainable"

That last part is an interesting observation, used as a shield for fear when truth is unattainable

I have faith in my belt holding my trousers up for instance, but I just cant possibly have faith in something when its not possible to know the truth.

Atom, he is real, beleive me, I rode with him today, praise the lord!!!! he comes in many forms and today he had a gammy leg, 01 Mont and kept pinching me fags but it was him. And the bit where he moves in "mysterious ways" its all true, never seen flick turns like it

Edited by Betarev3