Week 21 - Where Now For Britain?

Andy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L&M have accumulated a wealth of knowledge and experience running the last 2 WTC's which is simply irreplaceable in my view. I don't think we have anyone else in the country with the balls, time and experience to take it on to be honest. It's a shame but thats the reality. Please feel free to prove me wrong :)

Reflecting on the the last 2 years, L&M have given us an event which is surely un-surpassed in relation to organisation and drama. Dougies last minute win at the 2005 round was awesome and this years event promises to be very special too. All the British spectators will be willing Dougie to get the 100th win and with the other top British riders all on display, we will have a lot to get excited about.

If there are any people out there who are not thinking of going, then I suggest you have a re-think and get the tickets and go. This event could be 'THE' event whereby British trials history is made and you really don't want to miss it !

Finally, you have to admire what L&M have done for trials in the UK. They will be sorely missed :o

Hawkstone park has unquestionably the best atmosphere at any WTC I have been to and L & M have created not just a first class trial but a first class event. However it is time to move on and whoever does take on the task of organising the next GB has to follow a very high standard. But, for the sake of trials in Britain someone or some organisation needs to. No disrespect to Guatemala, but if they can organise a World Round surely this Nation can?

Failing that what about Alan Sugar or that bloke who organises Glastonbury?

We went to the italian round two years ago and the approach of the italians was totally different.

The event was staged in a very small village called Valbondione, about 40 mins from Bergamo. Valbondione didnt seem to have a huge tarmac car park, the parc ferme was basically the town and while the trial was on there didnt appear to be a way through. I dont know how they got the electric to the motorhomes but everyone seemed to manage. The locals didnt appear to mind and I presume made some income from the sandwich stands that were dotted around the course. We paid 5 euros I think to park the van each day and that was the only charge.

Outside of trials the Tour de France and Giro de Italia cycle events regularly take over mountain villages for the day and close the roads.

This could work in any number of locations in this country, Reeth for example and base the trial on fremington edge. But would we ever get the consent of the people of Reeth, the local council, the national park ? I dont think the uk mentality welcomes some minor sporting event closing roads and taking over villages for a couple of days ? and thats before you find someone to run the event. I'm not suggesting for a minute that richmond club or reeth stage a world round its just an example.

perhaps we need to take the event somewhere where the locals would really appreciate the business, perhaps very early or late in the tourist season?

....perhaps we need to take the event somewhere where the locals would really appreciate the business, perhaps very early or late in the tourist season?

Good post :o and the comment above warrants some serious consideration. The obvious place would be the IoM maybe? I know the locals at Hawkstone are causing all sorts of problems and you just don't need that hassle do you!

I think the IOM is not possible simply due to lacation, 8000 will go to a mainland event but would even half go to the island, I doubt it.

However the tourist route is the one that could work. Weston gets the beach race so there might be some sea front somewhere at the end or beginning of the season that could accomdate sections and parking.

Think the rules allow for a 15km lap.

Maguluf had a good round a few years back.

Only sticking point of a road event would be the youth riders?

The TDF is a good example of the difference between attitudes to events in Europe and those in the uk, close the roads, over there no problem, here, don't think so.

We went to the italian round two years ago and the approach of the italians was totally different.

The event was staged in a very small village called Valbondione, about 40 mins from Bergamo. Valbondione didnt seem to have a huge tarmac car park, the parc ferme was basically the town and while the trial was on there didnt appear to be a way through. I dont know how they got the electric to the motorhomes but everyone seemed to manage. The locals didnt appear to mind and I presume made some income from the sandwich stands that were dotted around the course. We paid 5 euros I think to park the van each day and that was the only charge.

Outside of trials the Tour de France and Giro de Italia cycle events regularly take over mountain villages for the day and close the roads.

This could work in any number of locations in this country, Reeth for example and base the trial on fremington edge. But would we ever get the consent of the people of Reeth, the local council, the national park ? I dont think the uk mentality welcomes some minor sporting event closing roads and taking over villages for a couple of days ? and thats before you find someone to run the event. I'm not suggesting for a minute that richmond club or reeth stage a world round its just an example.

perhaps we need to take the event somewhere where the locals would really appreciate the business, perhaps very early or late in the tourist season?

No chance, we talked about it long enough & the end result was a 3 Day instead of a 2 Day. :o

....perhaps we need to take the event somewhere where the locals would really appreciate the business, perhaps very early or late in the tourist season?

Good post :o and the comment above warrants some serious consideration. The obvious place would be the IoM maybe? I know the locals at Hawkstone are causing all sorts of problems and you just don't need that hassle do you!

Slighty of topic but what are the problems the locals have got with Hawkstone? Surely there arnt that many houses close by except from the ones by the track on the way in.

Hey come on............................ look a bit futher than a field stuck up in the middle of Cumbria/Westmoorland..............this is 2007 and stop it with the negative vibes !!!!!!!!!!!

Get involved, come on Rappers with all your years of experience/contacts in the sport, of course there is a venue, spectators,roads, riders , sponsors, electricity, whatever...........

get yourself a spanish phraze book and take a look at TODO TRIAL.............

Good post :D and the comment above warrants some serious consideration. The obvious place would be the IoM maybe? I know the locals at Hawkstone are causing all sorts of problems and you just don't need that hassle do you!

Slighty of topic but what are the problems the locals have got with Hawkstone? Surely there arnt that many houses close by except from the ones by the track on the way in.

Well they have had complaints from local residents about camping on the site - although I have just read an article and it seems the local council are proposing to go ahead with plans against the wishes of the complainers! :o Damn refreshing to see that in this day an age!

Read it Here - Although it refers to MX its the same issue for the WTC. ( The page may load slowly :) )

Be excellent to go to Fort William twice in one year :o

I cant reply to that proposal in the words of my choice as Andy would pull the post.

in the late 80's the E&DMC did run a world round in Fort William and a few weeks later then ran the SSDT - to say it was hard work was an understatement - it was the first year that i got involved in the club and wondered what i was doing!

however things have changed so much now putting on a WTC now must be a full time job.

however

when you consider the equivalent in the mountain bike world, a WTC is small fry.

This year the Mountain bike world championships hit Fort William

800 Competitors from 40 countries

25,000+ Visitors

Tech and Expo area 100+ companies

TV coverage global programming including live broadcast

estimated cost to stage

When you think about it somewhere like Aonach Mor is probably ideal. They will have already thought about the huge logistical exercise a WTC round brings, the accomodation and other facilities are in place, suppose ultimately the only downside is it's so far North but saying that....Hawkestone isn't exactly close to us....just a thought :o