Should We Pull Our Troops Out?

gizza5

Watch This

Then ask yourself should they be there?

My son is in ths Army and takes the Queens Shilling and it would be his job to serve in these war zones, but to me it seems pointless.

I was ok watching the link up until the point that the kids came on and that got me.......................

Watch with pride and I don't care how bad your day has been at work these boys and there daily routine would take some beating

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Difficult question to answer and I'm sure we all have differing opinions...

My personal view is 'Bring our troops home and let them get on with it'

However, it will be innocent children that suffer the most as each faction takes turns to bomb the others out of existence!

Don't think it'll ever end up like Vietnam, there they had a finite end point, one country unified under communism as it was at the time.

Iraq is different we'll have civil war and continual factions battling for decades to come until one man is able to unite the factions, you know someone like Saddam Hussein, the Blair Jnr Jnr and Bush Jnr Jnr Jnr will go and invade to get rid of another dictator.... you can see some predictability of a pattern here.

We make our allegiancies and honour the commitments to them, we've done that and we need to continue to do it to protect those who can't protect themselves. However, I do think it's time that they had the chance to stand on their own.

going to take the splinters out my butt now

Edited by Slapshot 3

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones
Watch This

Then ask yourself should they be there?

My son is in ths Army and takes the Queens Shilling and it would be his job to serve in these war zones, but to me it seems pointless.

I was ok watching the link up until the point that the kids came on and that got me.......................

Watch with pride and I don't care how bad your day has been at work these boys and there daily routine would take some beating

No, our troops are to defend our sovereign interests at home and abroad, but never to be used as expendable tokens in political gaming and posturing of meglamaniacs like Bush and Blair. God help their families.

They should all come home. The British army should be available in this country to defend a direct attack on the UK only and not be used as a political pawn in a superpower chess game!

What century are you posting from? :P

Malibu, it's called expressing an opinion whatever century or archaelogical period you are in. If you have an opinion express it properly, don't just throw in a caustic remark just because you disagree

having just completed a masters degree in Internatioanl Realtions, i could write war and peace on this one

simply put i can understand the various reaosns behind why people are upset about british invovlement a) in iraq and :P in afghanistan

to offer some sort of answer first i think we need to acept that we are not a superpower but a middle ranking power that for various reasons (some humaniterian) want to be involved in geopolitcal meddelings beyone the confines of our backyard - north west euope). then one need to look at afghanistan and iraq (and even iran) seperatly.

that way i view it as a brutal realist, if regardless of the rights of wrongs of starting both wars (and i've got a long list of opionions on that too) we need to do a cost benifit analysis of our (UK and/or greater "western world") involvement.

the worst case scenarios for iraq, iran and afghanistan are soo appallingly bad that it makes continuing with the current plan seam worthwhile IMHO. alhtough from a military standpoint tactcailly i don't see how it can be "won" in the traditional sense (but neither could northern ireland). the region is just so important that i think we need to gear outselves up for a 20+ year long counter insurgency war in the region ......

its a dark nasty world out there, that is extremly complex, popoulated with people who really don't understnad each other or want to come to an accmodation with each other, and even though we want "world peace" other don't and we've got to live in that world.

i'll shut up now ...

Suggested reading http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashman-Papers-Ge...6473&sr=8-3

I did my first Flashman novel just before they went into Afganistan (try reading GMF's own WW2 service in Burma, it's a cracking yarn), it may be fiction but it's well researched fiction based on fact & has been repeated before our lads were ever sent in. They're p****** in the wind, brave lads are losing their lives for nowt, bring 'em home.

having just completed a masters degree in Internatioanl Realtions, i could write war and peace on this one

simply put i can understand the various reaosns behind why people are upset about british invovlement a) in iraq and :P in afghanistan

to offer some sort of answer first i think we need to acept that we are not a superpower but a middle ranking power that for various reasons (some humaniterian) want to be involved in geopolitcal meddelings beyone the confines of our backyard - north west euope). then one need to look at afghanistan and iraq (and even iran) seperatly.

that way i view it as a brutal realist, if regardless of the rights of wrongs of starting both wars (and i've got a long list of opionions on that too) we need to do a cost benifit analysis of our (UK and/or greater "western world") involvement.

the worst case scenarios for iraq, iran and afghanistan are soo appallingly bad that it makes continuing with the current plan seam worthwhile IMHO. alhtough from a military standpoint tactcailly i don't see how it can be "won" in the traditional sense (but neither could northern ireland). the region is just so important that i think we need to gear outselves up for a 20+ year long counter insurgency war in the region ......

its a dark nasty world out there, that is extremly complex, popoulated with people who really don't understnad each other or want to come to an accmodation with each other, and even though we want "world peace" other don't and we've got to live in that world.

i'll shut up now ...

FFS Rabie our dog can spell better than you, can we have that in English please?

They should all come home. The British army should be available in this country to defend a direct attack on the UK only and not be used as a political pawn in a superpower chess game!

Malibu, it's called expressing an opinion whatever century or archaelogical period you are in. If you have an opinion express it properly, don't just throw in a caustic remark just because you disagree

It's an absurd opinion, so I rightfully treated it as such.

Does Mr. Ant truly believe that the only function of the British Army is to protect from an invasion? In 2007 or beyond? An invasion? Can he possibly be serious? :blink:

Edited by MalibuDon

It's an absurd opinion, so I rightfully treated it as such.

AtomAnt's opinion is absurd in your eyes, but not in the eyes of many people.

Debate and discuss but respect the right to an opinion, isn't that why Blair and Bush concocted the smoking gun lie in the first place, to give the people of Iraq an opinion, a right to choose their own futures. If it's not the reason then the war in Iraq was nothing more than State Sponsored Bullying.

Unfortunately, I fear your attitude to Atom's valid opinion speaks volumes for global alliances today.......

Edited by Slapshot 3

Very moving Video Gizza.

One from our side as well.

http://www.youtube.com/jp.swf?video_id=erv...&autoplay=1

And to answer your question, Yes, we should be there.

But yes, they should be standing on their own as well.

There is a great man leading the way at this point. Gen David Petraeus, he is faced with a daunting task, but is a great leader and many of us are praying that he pulls this off.

Gizza, tell your son to duck from me.

Who would be crazy enough to think you could stop the mass production of terrorists, while giving the chance for two countries to attempt government by the people, while removing perceived threats in an ever changing battlefield.

I agree with you! the US should take your advice and protect our own shores.

Its our DUTY as the human species to meddle and screw things up! Everyone thinks they know best..........thats why we're here!