Beta Evo 4t 250/300

fivemeister

Anyone got a 2010 yet?

got a 2010 250 2t and i love it just finished running it in and leaned it off can wait for next outing previous bike was a 2008 4rt . the evo is just far easier to ride. unfortunatly i am still crap though.

how does it compare to your 290 2T?

I prefer the 290 more, but when i have had a go on the 300 4t though the power curve & smoothness was superb. sounds brilliant as well. from having a go on a Sherco 4t & a Montesa 4RT the Evo 300 just feels so much nicer & easier to ride.

Edited by GasGasben

• 4 months later...

Thanks for all your help in explaining how to set valve clearances. I bought a used Evo4T/250 from BVM a few months ago. Maybe one of you is the previous owner of the bike? It's in Finland now and waits for summer in my garage :wall:

There is no other manual to find in the Internet than the owner's manual, and it does not help if you want to do anything more complicated than change the engine oil. It does not even tell the clerances. So thank you very much for your help, especially you Fivemeister.

I just adjusted valve clearances, both inlet and exhaust, without disturbing the engine. There is plenty of space to operate with the nuts, not so much space to use feeler gauge. For inlet valves I made a special feeler gauge per valve. For both exhaust valves one special feeler gauge was ok. You need three special feeler gauges to do the business without rocking the engine.

From left to right: gauge for exhaust valves, right-hand side inlet valve and left-hand side inlet valve.

gauges.jpg

I did the adjusting because of noisy valves. A friend of mine said the noise would be no problem. More dangerous it is if valves make no noise at all. I did it anyway.

Somebody said these machines should sound like a sewing machine when valve clearances are set right. Mine sounds like a sewing machine now. And I am proud of myself :wall:

Thanks.

Well done Ripa, but I still reckon it has to be easier rocking the engine forward - its not difficult and gives you better access to slide the feeler gauges in.

If you read the superb valve adjustment guide on the adventure rider website - http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/ (see OVAD) - there's a knack to getting the correct adjustment by 'feeling' the slide or 'drag' of the gauge through the valve. I can't imagine how you can get this 'feel' in such a confined space?

Edited by Fivemeister

• 4 weeks later...

Hey BE4T guys.

I have went over to the dark side and ordered a 2010 Beta 4T 300cc. :thumbup:

Getting excited now and looking forward to feeling what all the buzz is about.

I called my mate at Mikuni and asked for all of the Mikuni carb specs and an education on same.

Look for future posts seeking help with this new to me 4T beast.

Cheers

BillyT :bouncy:

Hey BE4T guys.

I have went over to the dark side and ordered a 2010 Beta 4T 300cc. :thumbup:

Getting excited now and looking forward to feeling what all the buzz is about.

I called my mate at Mikuni and asked for all of the Mikuni carb specs and an education on same.

Look for future posts seeking help with this new to me 4T beast.

Cheers

BillyT :bouncy:

I

called my mate at Mikuni and asked for all of the Mikuni carb specs and an education on same.

Hardly worth it - had mine well over a year and jetwashed twice a week and never even had the carb off to clean it. Goes as clean as a whistle. I am of the 'ain't broke don't fix it' clan.

Oh but there is!

Much to learn. I have access to much at Mikuni and will exercise that.

You may not have a need, there may not be a need but a desire for education on a new type (at least to trials bikes) of carb.

To each their own.

Respectfully

BillyT

RLracer,Ron, has them pretty well worked out, you need the spring kit to adjust to taste, as the slides are just vacume activated against them.

Not sure about the jetting.

They are sweet bikes, nice and quiet too!

Not at all sure about the current situation with there being a new importer for US Beta?????????

How all that will pan out is yet to be seen, yet Billy T. is always a good test pilot! :thumbup:

Hi Cope

Yes a new 2010 Beta Evo 300cc is on its way from American Beta.

Apparently the bike has changed much since 2009.

My mate is the VP of Mikuni in Northridge CA. known him for about twenty odd years now.

He will be getting a call from me on Monday with me asking for every bit of technical info on that carb and any secrets

that the lay man does not have.

I will no doubt share it with my bros here. :thumbup:

I have spoke with the new importer at American Beta and he is an old trials rider so he should be very helpful

to all who buy a new Beta.