Daft Trials Injuries

grahamjayzee

Hey Tom,I've watched that video before. :rolleyes: .it's nice to see a TC rider on screen..apart from Perce, is there any other footage of TC riders around??

This would make a great new thread...it doesn't have to be a crash..

It would be good to see a few more. get the thread started and see who shows up!

Tom

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago setting up my first trials bike just riding round my back garden.

Adjusting the carburation with a small screwdriver which I was holding in my teeth between tweaks.

Pulling little wheelies to see how the bike was responding and I guess I must of clenched my teeth!

Well anyway I broke two front teeth which must of cost me a small fortune in dentistry work since.

Riding a Lanarkshire club trial at penicuik when I was about 13, I hooked up 5th gear on my trusted ty pinkie and opened her up along a large bit of flat open ground when a large ditch about 6ft deep and 12ft wide opened up in front of me, I slammed on the anchors but was going to fast to stop so I decided to try and jump it so I opened the throttle and dumped the clutch, but it was in 5th so it just sounded like a wet fart and didn't pull in the slightest, proceeded to help it with the legs and had a homer simpson moment (where he tries to jump the gorge on the skate board) front wheel slammed into the opposite bank, I then bounced back and fell off to the side.

A few seconds later my brother, who was going in the opposite direction saw the whole thing and was nearly crying with laughter told me to get up and hurry up.

I got up with a sore wrist and tried to ride to the next section but decided to ride the mile and a half back to the car.

Went to the doctor the next day to find that I had a green stick fracture to my left wrist.

Had a cast on from wrist to shoulder, but managed to release my thumb from the cast so I could still ride round at future trials with my cast on :rolleyes:

Riding a Lanarkshire club trial at penicuik when I was about 13, I hooked up 5th gear on my trusted ty pinkie and opened her up along a large bit of flat open ground when a large ditch about 6ft deep and 12ft wide opened up in front of me, I slammed on the anchors but was going to fast to stop so I decided to try and jump it so I opened the throttle and dumped the clutch, but it was in 5th so it just sounded like a wet fart and didn't pull in the slightest, proceeded to help it with the legs and had a homer simpson moment (where he tries to jump the gorge on the skate board) front wheel slammed into the opposite bank, I then bounced back and fell off to the side.

A few seconds later my brother, who was going in the opposite direction saw the whole thing and was nearly crying with laughter told me to get up and hurry up.

I got up with a sore wrist and tried to ride to the next section but decided to ride the mile and a half back to the car.

Went to the doctor the next day to find that I had a green stick fracture to my left wrist.

Had a cast on from wrist to shoulder, but managed to release my thumb from the cast so I could still ride round at future trials with my cast on :rolleyes:

Is that down by the river, a guy on a Bultaco passed me down there as I slowed and did exactly the same as you, he landed it but bent both footrests, then bounced over the bars.

On Sunday i caught my footrest on a 8 inch stump at the top of a banking which sent me over the bars, my bike very kindly followed me whilst attacking me on the way down, i then landed on some lovely rocks with the bike on top of me with the back tyre still turning on my nose hence the bit of skin missing between my eyes. :rolleyes:

On Sunday i caught my footrest on a 8 inch stump at the top of a banking which sent me over the bars, my bike very kindly followed me whilst attacking me on the way down, i then landed on some lovely rocks with the bike on top of me with the back tyre still turning on my nose hence the bit of skin missing between my eyes. :rolleyes:

I shouldn't laugh, but that is pretty funny!

I've had a couple of good crashes! A few years ago now at a local club trial i ended up on my bike in a bog! After the pre-trial briefing we were making our way to the first section, i started to pass everyone down one side. I didnt know that there was a bog coming my way, hit the bog, front wheel dug in and i went down. No injuries but certinly got a few laughs from everyone else! Should've been on camera,

Last weekend i broke my metacarpal after dropping the clutch on my scorpa, which took me and the bike into a tree, myself taking the biggest hit, so know i will live the rest of my life with only 3 knuckles on my left hand :(

Edited by EDGAS250

OK, just for laughs and not wishing to offend anyone who has REALLY hurt themselves, but let's share some daft trials injuries/ accidents.

Early in my Trials career, a fellow Bultaco rider taught me the importance of keeping my bar clamps secure. He was decending a very steep downhill into a creek with (Murphy was also a participant in our Trial, as usual) a tree at the bottom of the decline. With butt on the rear fender and chest on the seat, he rolled off the top and just after he reached full incline with maximum weight forward, the bars rolled forward, which, of course, means that the throttle is rolled full on and in the position he was, there was no way to bail off. He hit the tree at full chat, and although bloody, was relatively o.k. I took him to a nearby hospital to find he only had a minor broken nose (which healed perfectly), but I now instinctively check my bar clamp bolts often.....

Jon

Got a concussion,

had to go up a bank with a medium size log in the center, the direction I came at the log there was a tree branch above my head. When I unloaded to go over the log I shoved my head right into that branch, Thank God for helmets, there was a horrendous cracking noise that I heard but unsure if anyone else heard it. Right after it happened my buddies were telling me to sit down and relax in the shade, to which I said "Sure OK" and promptly stood in the sun with my bike for a little bit trying to figure out what I was doing. A few minutes later and I was off and finished the event. The Missus was really upset when I finally told her about 3 days later, She said something about wanting to know when it happens not later. :(

There was a section that the exit was on an uphill, the end gates were about 3/4 the way up the hill. The Missus was watching this one. I had a clean going to the exit. My front axle passed through the exit gate and somehow the entire bike and myself went tumbling down the hill on the outside of the section. Once everything stopped moving, I jumped up and yelled, "THAT'S A CLEAN, THE FRONT AXLE WAS OUT!!" As my wife and the observer were concerned with my health and safety, they looked at me like I was completely out of my mind.

A buddy of mine who rides pretty well in our Intermediate class was going up a steepish hill, he just did not have enough juice and gently rolled backward into a tree with his side. Unfortunately the tree was none to gentle when it broke a couple of his ribs. :P

I was young and not so good. 1989 SSDT i was in a small group of sections sorry i forget which... well it was rocky, uphill, and a stream at the bottom so that is about 99% of the sections!. As i was going up i looped the bike near the top. I fell/ran backwards until lying in the stream and looked up... oh ****e... the bike landed on my head. Knocked me out. Feck! had to sit on the bank for 10 minutes to get composure together.

SSDT in 1988 i learn't to avoid the really large mooreland puddles.... only after i was thrown at high speed over the bars. Twice..... 40-50km/h and instantly have the front wheel dissapear into the bog.