Full Face Helmet For Trials

deano

After hearing about Eric Storz's accident I've been rethinking my opinion of a full face helmet for trials. I'm mostly concerned about my young nephew who is just starting out in the sport. I saw Eric and some other young riders wearing full face helmets in competition this year but I never thought to find out what kind they were. Does anyone know or have any opinion on this subject?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an opinion for sure but let me start with a few "facts". Crashing hurts and breaks things. Done that enought to know I dont like it so I decided several years ago to protect myself as well as possible without limiting movement/enjoyment. In mx I wore inflexible boots,knee braces, chest protector and full face helmet-even elbow gauards in the rocks or on ice. Fact is I ride -I crash. Can't seem to shake that cycle and kinda enjoy it in a weird way:). Fact is all the protective gear adds a layer between me and ground,rock,tree or bike. Given the choice I prefer that layer.

In trials I have for several years worn full face high quality downhill mountain bike helmet. I also wear chest protector(roost guard) and back guard albeit a lightweight one but it has some serious grooves from savin my skin!. I also wear knee guards and use them quite frequently! I have even been wearing a Leatt neck brace(get some snickers on that one. I prefer to not be paralyzed and can take the snickers so I will keep wearing it especially when I am attempting more difficult obstacles.

Does this protection come at a cost of lack of mobility? Most of it does not hinder mobility but for sure neck brace is annoying at times. I am seeking other braces that may offer more range of motion. Everything else I wear doesnt bother me in the least.

Now on to my opinion(oh boy! lol) A wisw man once told me if your going to be stupid you better be tough. I am neither(please dont ask around as you may get a different opinion!:). I think most people should wear full face helmets. Give it a try for 3 rides and then let me know how it feels and what problems you are having as I would like to know. I think knee guards are mandatory. I think eye protection should be worn most of the time. I wear safety glasses 95%Z of the time. I dont like sticks or branches in my eyes. Last but not least I like to ride-not be injured. I have spent as much as 13 consecutive months on crutches and that gave me a lot of time to think about whether i prefer to be hurt or whether I will take precautions to keep me riding. I choose riding :rotfl:

My fingers hurt from typing- I am going to go polish my helmet :rotfl:

tombleds Posted Yesterday, 11:36 PM

My fingers hurt from typing- I am going to go polish my helmet

Just clicking on that "other" website then??? :)

Just shows the frame of mind I am in..............After a well put together post concerning his choices about protection for riding all I can think of is to make a ****ing joke. :rotfl:

Notice I neither said I disagreed with tombleds nor agreed. I am not going to promote my reckless choices, oops just did.

I personally choose to wear an NZI triflow (think that's it) helmet, gloves, trials boots, ankle braces (due to previous injury when riding in work boots), Knee brace (Doc prescribed said I had to wear it if I wanted to continue to ride and then be able to walk afterwards), Was wearing shorts for a LOOONG time, knee brace kept exhaust away from leg but recently laid bike over and burned other leg on the header pipe. Been a month now and it's just about healed up. I am seriously reconsidering the shorts idea. (Cope here's your opportunity for some razzing). It's a good thing I heal relatively quickly.

Basically wear the amount of protection that makes you comfortable. Comfortable with regards to movement, vision, AND just plain psychologically comfortable.

Took a pretty good 'header' this season myself. Would probably have saved the teeth through the lips if I had a full-face helmet. Had not thought of a chest protector - don't know if that would have stopped the broken ribs or not. I do wear shin-guards with built in knee protection and a good set of boots with ankle protection.

I will pick up a helmet with face guard over the winter and see if I feel it restricts my view. Really would like to be able to ride for several more years so protection seems in order.

Alan

my idea for my kids was to add a face gaurd from an american football place kicker' helment, it's a single bar that gives some added facial & jaw protection, the kids never got onto trials so it never got past the design idea, they still wear a full face MX helment when on their ATV's etc. don't know why this idea never caught on, it's simple and much safer for our children, I personally know 2 children who were severly injured from ATV and Trials accidents that required major facial reconstruction, neither kids had facial protection.

maynrdjaw.jpg

Motocross helmets are too big, heavy, hot and limits vision. The downhill mountain bike helmets seem the same. I made my ideal helmet which is perfect except that it is not one piece. If someone made it as a one piece shell, I would buy it.

trialsFFhelmet.JPG

It's a Trivent with a kids bmx helmet chinbar attached closer to the face than a MX helmet so vision is not impaired. I got the bmx helmet at Walmart and cut it with metal snips. click here The visor is from a MX helmet and will also protect from a face plant.

In cooler weather I wear a EVS Flux chest protector that swivels at the waist and it doesn't impair my riding at all. I ride advanced/expert and protective gear gives me more confidence.

i always wear a full face helmet, and can handle the jibes and comments from other riders and do OK with it - a friend of mine had his front teeth smashed out headbutting his handlebars (with padding) and still bears the scars where his teeth came through his lips, not a pretty sight, not worth it, i wear downhill bike body armour too

just my penny worth

Tony (Sherco 290 & Beamish Suzuki 250 twinshock)

But its not a motorcycle helmet so could be a problem using it at a NETA event rules say motorcycle helmets only

Kind of a shame because it looks like it would be a heck of a helmet for trials. Maybe its time for rewording those rules to just exclude certain types of helmets and not specify it has to be a motorcycle helmet. Actually do helmets say they are of the "motorcycle type"?

This is my newest helmet http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-pit-warri...?productid=1968 Simpson Pit Warrior OTW Crew Helmet

high quality , large view port , light and cool. But its not a motorcycle helmet so could be a problem using it at a NETA event rules say motorcycle helmets only

I like that. How does the weight compare to a typical trials helmet? How well does it ventilate? I see the vents, but, my Shiro trials helmet has vents and is still hotter than my MX helmet.

This is my newest helmet http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-pit-warri...?productid=1968 Simpson Pit Warrior OTW Crew Helmet

high quality , large view port , light and cool. But its not a motorcycle helmet so could be a problem using it at a NETA event rules say motorcycle helmets only

The Neta rules say "approved" motorcycle helmet - whatever the heck that means. I figured they would specify snell or dot certification, but no - just approved.

I can make some official looking "approved" helmet stickers pretty cheap...alot cheaper than losing teeth..The only thing missing from the saferacer helmet is a buckle that rusts quickly - then its an official trials helmet.