Webb Dominates Ny Nationals

ron

Cody Webb ( Gas Gas ) Dominated The NY Terrain for two excellent Wins and now leads the USA Championship 4 wins To 2 over Current Champion Pat Smage (sherco) Keith Wineland had a great first loop saturday to emerge as the early leader.. but Webb cranked the volume and rode brilliantly over the next 2 laps to take the Victory..

sat:

1. Webb (GG)

2. Smage ( Sherco)

3. Wineland(GG)

4. Commo(GG)

5. Davis(sherco)

Sunday:

A much easier day saw all the Top Riders under stress out of the gate.. 9 relatively cleanable sections and 3 Extremely difficult Slippery Climbs.. Webb absolutely dominated these three sections .. with single marks in the first one section 5 .. then a three and 2 cleans in section 8 ( if you saw this you would not believe it could be ridden non the less cleaned.. and a pair of threes in section 9 the only guy to see the end cards..

Sun:

1. Webb (GG)

2. Smage(Sherco)

3.Wineland(GG)

4.Davis(sherco)

5. Commo (GG)

Webb now leads Series 4 wins to Smages 2 Wins .. as the series rolls to Colorado in July..

Can Cody's success this year be attributed to his switch to GG? Or 4T to 2T? Last year at the TN Nationals Pro shootout, Pat seemed to me to be clearly the better rider. Smoother, more controlled with less effort. Cody seemed to have to muscle his way around more. My theory is the lighter bike is helping his riding.

Can Cody's success this year be attributed to his switch to GG? Or 4T to 2T? Last year at the TN Nationals Pro shootout, Pat seemed to me to be clearly the better rider. Smoother, more controlled with less effort. Cody seemed to have to muscle his way around more. My theory is the lighter bike is helping his riding.

Possibly...I believe Webb's only win last year came on a 2t.

I was able to follow the Pro's around at the RI Nats. I saw them at each section. I have to say that overall Cody's riding was spot on. Compared to everyone else he looked smoother,more confident and also seemed to do things with a lot less effort. Im not bashing on Smage either...he also looks good, but it seems as though Cody's riding has elevated to another level since last year.

Its ging to be interesting going westward. Those big boulders in CA and CO seemed to suit Smage....but I am sure these wins have got Webb's confidence ridin sky high. Its a toss up...I wouldnt bet against either one of them.

I agree, Webb looked very good on the GG - seems he likes it! Another thing I came away with at the RI event was Smage's bike didnt sound quite right at full wick - it didnt hit a nice clean, high rpm, crescendo on the launches - The 2009 bikes (shercos) sounded better. (Cody's bike sounded perfect) I wonder if the new air intake or exhaust are not flowing as well.

Its going to be interesting going westward. Those big boulders in CA and CO seemed to suit Smage....but I am sure these wins have got Webb's confidence riding sky high. Its a toss up...I wouldnt bet against either one of them.

From my experience, Cody seems to like the Colorado rocks. As for Donner, I also think I remember Kipp carrying a very young Cody around the Donner Lodge at Trials, so Cody will be riding where he grew up and learned to ride. I agree, the next two Nationals will be a real battle and both riders (and Keith included) are strong competiters and we ought to see some outstanding rides.

Jon

ps. And don't forget, No-Jive Clive will undoubtedly be there, and Cody won't want to make any big mistakes, Clive will never let him forget it....:mellow:

Edited by JSE

this is by far one of the best seasons of national trials championship ! cody and pat are so close now in skill level which makes this season fun to watch because its all about who makes the first mistake ! its a battle of the brands gas gas verse sherco

I think as much as anything, you could attribute it to Cody. Seemed to me when I seen him in OK he has lost weight, and is in great shape. Someone said he has been on a different diet/ workout thing for a while now. Obviously he is riding well, great job! :mellow:

I agree, Webb looked very good on the GG - seems he likes it! Another thing I came away with at the RI event was Smage's bike didnt sound quite right at full wick - it didnt hit a nice clean, high rpm, crescendo on the launches - The 2009 bikes (shercos) sounded better. (Cody's bike sounded perfect) I wonder if the new air intake or exhaust are not flowing as well.

This is about an accurate comment as it goes. Cody is riding super top form right now. Pat and the gang at Sherco have gotta sort out the bike issues and take 3 out of 4 if he wants to pull this miracle off. It's going to be an exciting finish to the season.

Sure hate to see the title change hands, but if it be, it couldn't happen to a more deserving person. The Webb's pour their heart and soul into trials.

I feel that it is easy to say that it could be the new bike or it could be going from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke and maybe these things helped a little.

However all the bikes made today are very capable bikes. The rider makes the difference. Nobody could of touched Pat the last couple of years and it was

due to his strict training and riding ability. Pat could of had the same results on any make of bike! Why? because he was the best rider out there.

Cody is in shape and is very solid on the bike this year. I would have to say he has worked hard this year in the off season and it is now showing!

Lets make sure we give credit where credit is due. My guess is hard work has brought him up a level.

It is going to be a great series between Pat and Cody for sure! Both top notch professionals and great representatives for our sport!

Cody is just as good as patrick in the trials but in my opinion i think it looks like cody trains more practically, not wasting time on the flashy show riding, while patrick just goes and does whatever seems fun at that point in time. cody also looks a loth healthier this season than any in recent memory. I think cody might have pushed himself harder if he had been on a two stroke in the previous seasons because that four stroke just didn't seem like a winning design to me, I think he has always been as good as pat it was just about the machine he had been given to prove it not being capable to do the job.

Edited by terrormachine

Cody is just as good as patrick in the trials but in my opinion i think it looks like cody trains more practically, not wasting time on the flashy show riding, while patrick just goes and does whatever seems fun at that point in time. cody also looks a loth healthier this season than any in recent memory. I think cody might have pushed himself harder if he had been on a two stroke in the previous seasons because that four stroke just didn't seem like a winning design to me, I think he has always been as good as pat it was just about the machine he had been given to prove it not being capable to do the job.

I doubt that , really! The (lumpy) 4T's have their advantages and disadvantages. Ask Caby, Bou, Fuji, Lampkin or even Ray Peters!