Is this Sherpa rare then ( Ebay)

sherpatony

Hello to all. As far as I can remember the only change between the 198B and the 199B was the engine the 199B had a 340 cc six speed engine and the 198B had a 238cc five speed. I think it was 238 cc but it might have been a 244cc motor. AS far as I know that was the only change between them except the carb change, the 350`s had a Bing and the 250`s had the Amal. Neither model was imported into Australia so the only ones over here were privately imported. That is all. Bully Lover.

Edited by bullylover

Hello to all. As far as I can remember the only change between the 198B and the 199B was the engine the 199B had a 340 cc six speed engine and the 198B had a 238cc five speed. I think it was 238 cc but it might have been a 244cc motor. AS far as I know that was the only change between them except the carb change, the 350`s had a Bing and the 250`s had the Amal. Neither model was imported into Australia so the only ones over here were privately imported. That is all. Bully Lover.

The other difference was was the fuel tank - Plastics tanks were illigal in the UK at that time so the 198b UK model came with a beautiful alloy tank hand crafted to look like the poly tank.

Paul Mac

To give you some idea of the rarity some of the Spansh members of these forums recently debated whether the 198B was ever manufactured! Seems they were all for export to the UK which explains why the Spaniards were confused.

The UK only thing makes sense

The other difference was was the fuel tank - Plastics tanks were illigal in the UK at that time so the 198b UK model came with a beautiful alloy tank hand crafted to look like the poly tank.

Paul Mac

Not all, both the 340 and 250 came with plastic tanks as well, I know someone who had a 340 new with the plastic tank.

The alloy tank is a bit squarer edged than the plastic and can be prone to splitting along the seams where your legs rub (as in every single one I've head - they're a pain)

Not all, both the 340 and 250 came with plastic tanks as well, I know someone who had a 340 new with the plastic tank.

The alloy tank is a bit squarer edged than the plastic and can be prone to splitting along the seams where your legs rub (as in every single one I've head - they're a pain)

I stand corrected Woody :thumbup: