What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

YES!

Congrats, J13me! Way to go! :bouncy::banana::icon_salut:

I hope your life is going to get easier now! Way to stay with it!

Jimmie

P.S. Oh, yeah. Today, along with some of yesterday afternoon, I put my S3 Low-Compression head insert in my bike. That part went pretty well. It does indeed start a little easier, and no really noticeable loss of power. :hyper: But I decided to repack the silencer on the bike while I was at it, and seem to have failed miserably at that chore..... :wall: It's louder than it was before I decided to "repair" it...... :blush:

Cheers guys, just need a clutch master cylinder, bleed rear break and fit gear lever and its ready to ride!!

Ned to look at front brake too, its not spongy or anything but doesn't fully lock on front wheel.. Kind of squeeks and try's to hold it!

J13me,

If the fluid, pads, & the rest of your front brake system are all sound, and if it apears to be free of bubbles in the line, try this:

Ride around for about a minute with your front brake applied. Don't brake hard enough with it to send yourself into a skid, just use light, steaady pressure that kinda bogs the engine down. You want to get the disk good & hot. Ride right up to source of water, stop, and quickly spray the disc with water while it's hot. This will burn off & clean off any oils (maybe brake fluid?), and should make a good difference in braking power. May need to be done twice. Just get the disc hot by dragging the brake as you ride around for a short while, stop, and wet it down quickly while it's hot. It will steam & hiss as this is done.

I had to do this to my bike. I had bled my rear brake until I was sick of bleeding brakes, It had a firm pedal, but still wouldn't stop for squat, made lots of noise, and all that. A friend told me to do this, and it worked really well. I had so much brake fluid on my pads & disc, it needed a better cleaning than it could get with the spray can brake cleaning products. Hope it helps you out.....

Jimmie

I negleted to squeeze my clutch lever the other day when I did my dog bone bearings..................... So I made up for it the next day with much vigorous Clutch SQUEEZING!!! ^_^

It must have been good............the bike and I both felt like having a :stoned: when I was done...........

J13me,

If the fluid, pads, & the rest of your front brake system are all sound, and if it apears to be free of bubbles in the line, try this:

Ride around for about a minute with your front brake applied. Don't brake hard enough with it to send yourself into a skid, just use light, steaady pressure that kinda bogs the engine down. You want to get the disk good & hot. Ride right up to source of water, stop, and quickly spray the disc with water while it's hot. This will burn off & clean off any oils (maybe brake fluid?), and should make a good difference in braking power. May need to be done twice. Just get the disc hot by dragging the brake as you ride around for a short while, stop, and wet it down quickly while it's hot. It will steam & hiss as this is done.

I had to do this to my bike. I had bled my rear brake until I was sick of bleeding brakes, It had a firm pedal, but still wouldn't stop for squat, made lots of noise, and all that. A friend told me to do this, and it worked really well. I had so much brake fluid on my pads & disc, it needed a better cleaning than it could get with the spray can brake cleaning products. Hope it helps you out.....

Jimmie

that routine above can stop brake squeel too... I usually use brake cleaner (arisol cans) to get any oily and crap off rotors. Sometime the pads just soak up too much. ALso pads as they get thin IMHO brake very much LESS, I assumed the caliper's buttons at end of stroke but I think in reality, the pads lose something, maybe with how they're glued when made?

new pads always seem to stop my bike better, they're cheap.

I spent the day repairing some damage I inflicted on the bike about 2 months ago. I managed to chip the kickstart pawl gear, and the idler gear it helixes out to & meshes with. When I did this, the bike made a noise almost exactly like a knocking rod sound. :shutup::crying:

KickStartGear2_zpsf4bf6cb9.png

GasGasIdlerGearandBolt_zps33ee922d.png

I replaced the Idler Gear with a new one. I smoothed out the chipped teeth on the k/s pawl gear with a Dremel hand grinder. Reassembled everything, and added some atf. It fired up and sounded just like it used to, and maybe even a bit quieter than it did before. It always used to have some "clutch rattle" when running before. A rattling sound that goes away as soon as you pull in the clutch lever, basically. For whatever reason, it didn't do that today. And speaking of "pulling in the clutch lever", I did it MANY TIMES. :wub: Afterwards, I spent some time balancing with the engine off on my shop floor, and practiced some really ugly front wheel hops.

Actually, today was a sort of "milestone" for me. I had total knee replacement surgery 5 weeks ago, and managed to get my bike started today with the new knee! :banana::bouncy: I am mucho happy-o about that! :thumbup: it was one of my biggest fears that I may not be able to start my bike, and hence, possibly not ride, after the operation. I've pretty much put that fear to rest now. I still have an S3 low compression head insert to put in, which will hopefully make starting even easier on me.....

jerkAnd Shyted, your bike is INCREDIBLE!!! :icon_salut: I wish my 3 year old bike looked that good. I don't mean to sound like a here or anything like that, but do ever ride that thing? It is so clean.....

Jimmie

Hi Mr Neutron sorry for not replying sooner but ive been away from home with little access to a computer .Well thanks for your comment and the rest of you lad's and lasses out there thank you too . I looked at 37 280's over a period of three months before i stumbled on this little gem . Since my son has been riding that bike it's been up to the eyeball's in ***** week in and out ,under water completely once, I just keep on top of thing's and replace worn /broken equipment straight away . i love the deep finish on the frame . My son spends more time on his i phone 9 , and hasn't really discovered the philosophy of sweat yet , but me , just love riding them there motorcycles and working on them too .

Glad to see most of you sorting thing's out with your bike's , and i think this thread is brill .

A very dedicated to motorcycle and motor cycle people Shyted .