What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

So I have a bike! Picked up a 2010 txt 250... I love it, the power is so useable and the control of the bike feels very intuitive...

Especially as I have just upgraded from a knackered 1998 txt270 which felt like riding a bag of potatoes.....

• Like 1

The other day I reassembled my swing arm, rear tire and put the seat/airbox and gas tank back on. rear end recieved new suspension bearings (dog bones and where dog bones connect at swing arm) clean and lubed the hell out of the other suspension bearings, new rear brake pads, rear wheel bearings and put the header pipe protector on. Fired it up and rode around my yard in the snow. I found out 3rd works pretty good in snow. and one more thing I LOVE THIS BIKE!!! the 300 is just perfect for the putsy way I ride but when I need the wind up it is there! The suspension WORKS so much better than the 2000 Sherco I had. I have High Hopes for this season.

Today I rode it around the driveway, well just because I can, aftarwards I am cleaning the air filter, it is drying at the moment and will oil it when dry. Just need to change the Gearbox oil and she is ready to pitch me off the back!

I did the Steering head bearings over the weekend.

Borrowed a slide hammer for work to get the race's out of the frame, I would'nt touch them. I had to resort back to a lengthy drift and 4pounder!

Not much can defend its self when threatened with this.

Removed the lower bearing of the steerin spindle by pressing the spindle downwards, very easy this way. :thumbup:

Looking for new grips on the tinterweb closely coincided with doing some grocery shopping at the evil empire (tesco) where they had some good looking grips for cycles at £1.99............... they ended up in the cart and the next day they were on the gasser! A bit of a snug fit on the throttle side, but they went on with no heating/silicone/etc ...........a good find.

I have almost given up cleaning the bike as shyted's bike is an unreachable benchmark.

The LHM has been a fantastic hydraulic fluid for the clutch lever.......................... ;)

• Like 1

Tell you what i missed , a very cheap 200 year 2k vintage . Set out for the guy's house forty five minutes away and as i got there someone was putting it in to thy're van .

But not to worry the misses soon sniffed the cash out and removed it tout d'suit tres vite,(more shoe's Emmelda)

Edited by shyted
  • Like 1

I have almost given up cleaning the bike as shyted's bike is an unreachable benchmark.

The LHM has been a fantastic hydraulic fluid for the clutch lever.......................... ;)

:rotfl: I love that, Andrew!!! May I use that for an excuse as well?? :D

Actually, I recently saw the guy I bought my bike from at a trial. I told him I loved the bike, but disliked him personally for having set the benchmark for "Clean" so high..... :blush: Nothing like Shyted's, however....

Congrats on your new ride, Jonwhitesw! :icon_salut: May it work well for you for many years, Sir!

Sadly, the only riding I can do over the next day or two will be on a riding lawnmower...... :wall: I think I'll sneak out to the barn & squeeze the clutch lever a few times..... :wub:

Jimmie

:rotfl: I love that, Andrew!!! May I use that for an excuse as well?? :D

Actually, I recently saw the guy I bought my bike from at a trial. I told him I loved the bike, but disliked him personally for having set the benchmark for "Clean" so high..... :blush: Nothing like Shyted's, however....

Congrats on your new ride, Jonwhitesw! :icon_salut: May it work well for you for many years, Sir!

Sadly, the only riding I can do over the next day or two will be on a riding lawnmower...... :wall: I think I'll sneak out to the barn & squeeze the clutch lever a few times..... :wub:

Jimmie

Hi Jimmie - yes. of course; distance allows several to use the same excuse with little fear of plagerism (sp?) !!...................

New grips. The throttle side was a TIGHT fit. I've changed 100's of grips over the years and this bike was real wrestling match getting the grip on LOL.

2013-03-16_16-36-06_29_zps62cf2378.jpg

Some can be a bear. Try spraying some alcohol on the bar and in the grip next time.

Jon

quite often I have good luck using a air compressor. stick the air nozzle between grip and bar and it "inflates" the grip enough to move it around, relatively easy.

But on occasion I have used on the bars as a lube: Gasoline, brake cleaner, alcohol ,,,,,, oh wait that was for me.

Due to go back away ,but what did i do to our Gas Gas today ? Nothing . My son has broken his ankle ! But but but .....check out the blue Pro for sale at £1250 in Holmforth ,page one of the adds on this site . someone obviously love's thier Gas Gas 250 pro , it's smart as owt (Owt means anything in the rest of the world )but think you guy's would agree it's a gem .

quite often I have good luck using a air compressor. stick the air nozzle between grip and bar and it "inflates" the grip enough to move it around, relatively easy.

I tried air but it still was a struggle. Air is my go to grip install technique but it let me down yesterday haha.

Did a bit of static balancing on the 280 yesterday.....then relaxed with a beer watching Vol 4 of Shane Watts' DirtWise Advance Riding techniques, before leaving the garage to make a big bowl of popcorn to go with a few more beers while watching the Indy Supercross.

I thought about swapping the winter air in the tires (or tyres as you Pommies would say) for summer air, but given that it's supposed to snow every day this coming week, and it sounded like too much work, I left it be. :hyper:

today I practicedpracticedpracticed and am getting kind of good at riding in circles at full lock and getting around tight spaces in my back yard............ even to the extent that mrs shipdamite was called to watch one particularly tight 'section' outside the back door.

This, fellow gassers, made me grin quite a bit :)

Handgrips - a few years back I trashed a throttle by changing the grip whilst the throttle was on the bike..... so I now take the throttle off to change grips................ even using a smaller diameter push-bike grip can be put on with no lube/air/multiple swearing.

if the grip is fairly stiff, warming in a mug of boiling water works a treat and the grip floats on....

The use of cycle grips - as i have recently discovered - negates the need for grip wire and they can be bought for £2.

All the best to those with broken bones and broken bikes.

cheers.